Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
;) ;) And also, the Holy Spirit gives His gifts as He wants Himself (Acts?:10:44-47)... and sometimes before confirmation... He also gives gifts to Non Catholics...

Just now, I read Richard Fosters book "Prayer. Finding the Hearts True Home". I recieved it from the nun that will be my confirmation godmother (?)...
I can recommend that book!:bow:

Upvote 0

PolskiKrol

Teemo support OP
Jun 16, 2004
✟2,437.00
Faith
Catholic
"The false humility of hell is an unending, burning shame at teh inescapable stigma of our sins. .. The anguish of this self-knowledge is inescapable even on earth, as long as there is any self-love left in us: because it is pride that feels the burning of shame. Only when all pride, all self-love has been consumed in our souls by the love of God, are we delivered from the thing which is the subject of those torments."
~Thomas Merton

Upvote 0

SmileBugMG

Oct 21, 2005
✟926.00
Faith
Catholic
PolskiKrol said:
The guy who started the real "Life in the Spirit" at my parish died from cancer this week. What was amazing is how his widow was taking it. I will probably always remember her going down the aisle shouting how great God is.

At his funeral? :eek: I can't imagine any of our priests being happy about that. Although I suppose they might make allowances for recent widows. But that sounds like quite the scene, regardless. No wonder you'll always remember it. :p

Upvote 0

Called2Grace

My body, my birth my choice!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2005
Australia
✟49,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Epiphanygirl said:
:amen: I've seen the spirit working through many people in this forum....It's a beautiful thing!
I'm so very happy I came across this forum, I've learned and received much from my brothers and sisters here.
In the past year that I've posted here, I can't tell you how blown away I've been by seeing others, as well as myself, grow in our faith, share our joys, our sorrows, and our pain...all the while using our faith to see us through and to help eachother along....
Shucks I feel like hugging the board now:groupray: I love you guys.....PolskiKrol.... see...it works!!!:clap:

All I can say to that is: :amen:

Upvote 0

Called2Grace

My body, my birth my choice!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2005
Australia
✟49,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
SmileBugMG said:
No, we receive the Holy Spirit at Baptism as well. But Confirmation is different... we receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit then. Why this is I'm not exactly sure. I didn't care about it too much back when I was getting confirmed myself. :sorry: I was more concerned about picking a name. Does someone else have a better explanation?

What about those of us that have been confirmed twice, once Anglican than now Catholic?

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Susansmum said:
What about those of us that have been confirmed twice, once Anglican than now Catholic?

It´s very different, and should really not have the same name, I think...:sorry:
:cool: I was "confirmed" in the Swedish church (in communion with the Anglican since 1922) 1974; that was a kind of "exam", to show that You had learnt things about Luther (my priest liked him a lot), and to say "yes" to Your baptizm...
:clap: Now, this Easter,
I got confirmed in the Holy Catholic Church, which is a sacrament! Oil, prayers... Wow! It´s a great difference!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey i went to a Retreat through the Charismatic Renewal caled "Life In the Spirit". I wonder if that is just local? They have Life in the Spirit, 1, 2 and 3. I only made 1. Anyways..when i saw the title of this thread i thought it was referring to that retreat and was gonna comment on how much i enjoyed...guess this is not about that huh? lol

As far as confirmation, i always thought that is when we recieved the gifts of the spirit, is that not necessarily true? What exactly IS confirmation..i think I am confused after reading this thread?

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As I´ve got it, confirmation is about recieving the Holy Spirit in a deeper way than before...
But the gifts in 1 Corinthians 12 is given when and if God decides... To a lot of Christians in different congregations... And, unfortunately, I don´t see it much in my church, though people are confirmed...
But we pray about it... God is great!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.