Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, it's not so much that I mind that she embellished or fudged, because people do that all the time and it's not really a crime (for the most part).

What gets me is that it was the details of the fudging that helped her get her press coverage. Here was this self-made woman who fought her way to the top so to speak, only she wasn't so self-made and ideally, as much as it pains me, I do question how she could run a state if she couldn't manage to be a parent. If the job gets too hot for her, she can't say "it's not a good time for me", really. I mean she could, but that would be career suicide.

I honestly missed them if there are, but what are the details involving her custody issues? This hits home for me, my daughter is about to turn 17, and I've raised her since she was 1 1/2 by myself.

warning: incoming snarky comment

I don't know that giving up or losing custody of her children would bother most liberal voters, killing babies (millions of abortions) seems to be almost an issue to celebrate for so many.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Wendy Davis is a Republican Nightmare
For those who aren’t familiar with the place, it is socially acceptable in Texas to say absolutely anything, no matter how ugly or bigoted as long as you preface it with “sweetheart.” That makes it cute. And women in Texas are supposed to be cute. They are supposed to smile, and do what their husbands tell them, and keep themselves pretty, and take care of the children, and tame their tongues.

Good, wholesome Texas women do not leave a husband behind in Fort Worth to go gallivanting off to Harvard. They do not let fathers raise children while they pursue a career. They most definitely do not stand up to ignorant, sexist bullies in the Texas Legislature, thwarting plans to shove righteousness into the dark unwilling places that resist it.

And if they do, you can be sure that “good” Texas women will be on the front line of the effort to hold their uppity sisters down while society enforces proper social order. Wendy Davis is not a good girl. Righteous Texas women do not approve.

<snip>

Regardless of the election results in the race for Governor, this binge of bigoted moralizing cannot end well for Republicans at large.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
"While I've been a good mother, it's not a good time for me right now"

Sorry but you don't get to pick and choose when you want to be a parent.
Could I see a link to that quote? I'd like to see it in context.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
warning: incoming snarky comment

I don't know that giving up or losing custody of her children would bother most liberal voters, killing babies (millions of abortions) seems to be almost an issue to celebrate for so many.

Says a person in the party full of war-mongers.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Texas Republican defends Wendy Davis
Becky Haskins, a Republican who served with Wendy Davis on the Fort Worth City Council, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Tuesday that Davis was a hard worker who did what she needed to do for her daughters.

“If this involved a man running for office, none of this would ever come up,” Haskins told the Star-Telegram. “It’s so sad. Every time I ran, somebody said I needed to be home with my kids. Nobody ever talks about men being responsible parents.”

“They wouldn’t be talking about Wendy if she weren’t a threat," Haskins added.
No, y'all wouldn't be talking about Wendy if she weren't a threat.
I'm trying to think of a situation where my self interests would cause to give up custody of my own children to someone who was not a blood relative. Nope, can't think of one. Wendy did though.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No, it was said by a registered independent who is actually of the opinion that we should bring all troops home (including most if not all stationed on bases in allied countries).

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well she is the abortion candidate.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Abdicating parental rights/responsibilities of a living child is preferable to some over slaughter of the unborn for convenience.

She should campaign on that, she could use the slogan: "At least I didn't kill them!"

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

I want to make sure you saw my request Beckie. Could you link to that quote? It's kinda like bible verses, they mean so much more when read in context.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I want to make sure you saw my request Beckie. Could you link to that quote? It's kinda like bible verses, they mean so much more when read in context.

Second to last bullet point in the wonkette article. Every time I try to C&P it, it doesn't carry over for some reason.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Second to last bullet point in the wonkette article. Every time I try to C&P it, it doesn't carry over for some reason.
Oh. I've never seen anything wonkette. I'm not even sure what a wonkette is. I was hoping you'd have something from a statement she put out, or from an interview or something...

Was there more she said in the wonkette that could perhaps give some context? Or was it just a bullet point that really has no meaning?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's actually from the Dallas Morning News article, Ben.
“She did the right thing,” he said. “She said, ‘I think you’re right; you’ll make a good, nurturing father. While I’ve been a good mother, it’s not a good time for me right now.’”

Wendy Davis declined to discuss the circumstances or terms of the divorce.

“When I decided to run for governor, I promised my girls we would not revisit a time that was terribly difficult for them,” she said. “I will tell you it was very important to me that Dru stay in her childhood home. It was a very difficult time in our life.”
Hope that helps. :wave:

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
It's actually from the Dallas Morning News article, Ben.
“She did the right thing,” he said. “She said, ‘I think you’re right; you’ll make a good, nurturing father. While I’ve been a good mother, it’s not a good time for me right now.’”

Wendy Davis declined to discuss the circumstances or terms of the divorce.

“When I decided to run for governor, I promised my girls we would not revisit a time that was terribly difficult for them,” she said. “I will tell you it was very important to me that Dru stay in her childhood home. It was a very difficult time in our life.”
Hope that helps. :wave:
Why yes! That helps show her love for her daughters much more than has been cast about by her attackers here. She made them a promise that it looks like she intends to keep. Good on her! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read enough of GOP lifer to realize if the guy is a member of the GOP at all it is only in the spirit of Grima Wormtongue. He spouts much of the same nonsense as the majority of the liberal Democratic establishment, attempting to lure actual Republicans away from the core by perpetuating the standard lie the GOP is a party of white men dominated by racist, bigots, and homophobes doomed for extinction if they fail to become Democrats. Only on this occasion in order to make his point the GOP needs to be misogynist as well.

Does he know you often quote him here, stamp? Because if so I suspect Grima Wormtongue following the heart of Belle Boyd.

Given lifer is not a member of these forums (at least to my knowledge) I will still address a few of his...points...

For those who aren’t familiar with the place, it is socially acceptable in Texas to say absolutely anything, no matter how ugly or bigoted as long as you preface it with “sweetheart.”

Absolute drivel. This is a regurgitation of another liberal talking point, that Republican men lord themselves over their cowed and beaten into submission Republican women who only speak when told. This isn't erudite punditry on lifer's part, this is mindless sophistry.

That makes it cute. And women in Texas are supposed to be cute. They are supposed to smile, and do what their husbands tell them, and keep themselves pretty, and take care of the children, and tame their tongues.

Well God forbid Texas women take care of their children. I mean can you imagine a world, lifer, where women parents actually take care of their children? The horrors, the absolute horrors! How could anyone promote such a thing?

Seriously, the above quote reeks of the same elitist disdain prevalent when reading Sally Kohn, or when listening to Al Franken, Juan Williams, or Arianna Huffington, or watching Rachel Maddow. GOPlifer has far more in common with Air America than with actual America.

Good, wholesome Texas women do not leave a husband behind in Fort Worth to go gallivanting off to Harvard.

The point being made, lifer, is decent honorable people don't milk someone for all the money and support they can and then immediately dump them the instant they are no longer required. If you actually believe wholesome Texas women, and therefore by extension wholesome Republican women, do not believe in personal advancement then you are a bigger idiot than I give you credit for.

They do not let fathers raise children while they pursue a career.

Again you have artfully missed the point. Decent people, people with a soul, do not pawn their children off on others without good reason. Wanting to pursue a career is not a good enough reason. That is why it sometimes takes true sacrifice in order to be a good parent, and it is obvious to anyone without an agenda to pursue Davis wasn't willing to sacrifice much of anything in order to be a good parent. Such a quaint and old fashioned notion, being a dedicated parent. Keep whispering in slimy terms how the GOP needs to turn away from that.

They most definitely do not stand up to ignorant, sexist bullies in the Texas Legislature, thwarting plans to shove righteousness into the dark unwilling places that resist it.

And now the lies and distortions come into play. Davis did not stand up to sexist bullies, she stood up to promote not only abortion but unfettered abortion on demand. As discussed prior to this post, she did so by employing the standard litany of additional lies and distortions the left always trots out when shouting their pro-abortion mantra. Being reminiscent of Maddow apparently wasn't enough, now you are evoking the spirit of Olbermann.

And if they do, you can be sure that “good” Texas women will be on the front line of the effort to hold their uppity sisters down while society enforces proper social order.

More idiotic sophistry. Being pro-life does not equate in any manner to the image you are trying to create.

Wendy Davis is not a good girl. Righteous Texas women do not approve.

Wendy Davis is a heartless opportunistic liar. That is what some women of Texas are responding to. I say some because there are of course many Texas women who support Davis. They are called liberals, and the GOP does not need to become like them in order to survive people like you.

Regardless of the election results in the race for Governor, this binge of bigoted moralizing cannot end well for Republicans at large.

Says the bigoted moralizer. Your constant pleas for the GOP to become the DNC in order to survive reminds me of this:

th

You, of course, are the Dentist.

Hmmm...Kennedy and Johnson initiated Vietnam, true Carter was scared of his own shadow, but Clinton ordered cruise missile strikes every time Monica went up the hill to testify, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were continued under Obama, not to mention a bit of fun in Libya. Yep, it only us.

OFT. As stated prior, this is the primary reason the liberal left is defending Davis so ardently. She is a pro-abortion darling.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I have read enough of GOP lifer to realize if the guy is a member of the GOP at all it is only in the spirit of Grima Wormtongue. He spouts much of the same nonsense as the majority of the liberal Democratic establishment, attempting to lure actual Republicans away from the core by perpetuating the standard lie the GOP is a party of white men dominated by racist, bigots, and homophobes doomed for extinction if they fail to become Democrats. Only on this occasion in order to make his point the GOP needs to be misogynist as well.

Does he know you often quote him here, stamp? Because if so I suspect Grima Wormtongue following the heart of Belle Boyd.

Given lifer is not a member of these forums (at least to my knowledge) I will still address a few of his...points...

Absolute drivel. This is a regurgitation of another liberal talking point, that Republican men lord themselves over their cowed and beaten into submission Republican women who only speak when told. This isn't erudite punditry on lifer's part, this is mindless sophistry.

Well God forbid Texas women take care of their children. I mean can you imagine a world, lifer, where women parents actually take care of their children? The horrors, the absolute horrors! How could anyone promote such a thing?

Seriously, the above quote reeks of the same elitist disdain prevalent when reading Sally Kohn, or when listening to Al Franken, Juan Williams, or Arianna Huffington, or watching Rachel Maddow. GOPlifer has far more in common with Air America than with actual America.

The point being made, lifer, is decent honorable people don't milk someone for all the money and support they can and then immediately dump them the instant they are no longer required. If you actually believe wholesome Texas women, and therefore by extension wholesome Republican women, do not believe in personal advancement then you are a bigger idiot than I give you credit for.

Again you have artfully missed the point. Decent people, people with a soul, do not pawn their children off on others without good reason. Wanting to pursue a career is not a good enough reason. That is why it sometimes takes true sacrifice in order to be a good parent, and it is obvious to anyone without an agenda to pursue Davis wasn't willing to sacrifice much of anything in order to be a good parent. Such a quaint and old fashioned notion, being a dedicated parent. Keep whispering in slimy terms how the GOP needs to turn away from that.

And now the lies and distortions come into play. Davis did not stand up to sexist bullies, she stood up to promote not only abortion but unfettered abortion on demand. As discussed prior to this post, she did so by employing the standard litany of additional lies and distortions the left always trots out when shouting their pro-abortion mantra. Being reminiscent of Maddow apparently wasn't enough, now you are evoking the spirit of Olbermann.

More idiotic sophistry. Being pro-life does not equate in any manner to the image you are trying to create.

Wendy Davis is a heartless opportunistic liar. That is what some women of Texas are responding to. I say some because there are of course many Texas women who support Davis. They are called liberals, and the GOP does not need to become like them in order to survive people like you.

Says the bigoted moralizer. Your constant pleas for the GOP to become the DNC in order to survive reminds me of this:

th

You, of course, are the Dentist.

Hmmm...Kennedy and Johnson initiated Vietnam, true Carter was scared of his own shadow, but Clinton ordered cruise missile strikes every time Monica went up the hill to testify, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were continued under Obama, not to mention a bit of fun in Libya. Yep, it only us.

OFT. As stated prior, this is the primary reason the liberal left is defending Davis so ardently. She is a pro-abortion darling.
Well now Bubba (one can be called Bubba here in Texas, actually a term of endearment) I look forward to seeing your comments on his blog page! If you decide you actually have the gumption (that's another Texas-like phrase you might not understand) to post there.

Grima Wormtongue following the heart of Belle Boyd? Is that some local language y'all use from where you're from? I never heard it before.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well now Bubba (one can be called Bubba here in Texas, actually a term of endearment) I look forward to seeing your comments on his blog page! If you decide you actually have the gumption (that's another Texas-like phrase you might not understand) to post there.

You know, Stamp, I did not belittle or mock or insult you in my post. I responding to something you posted, yes, but did not take pot shots at you in doing so.

Grima Wormtongue following the heart of Belle Boyd? Is that some local language y'all use from where you're from? I never heard it before.

It is drawing upon two differing sources to form one metaphor. One is from fantasy literature, the other is from American history.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love going after Palin, because she is as dumb as a box of rocks and is proof, you don't need brains to get into politics.

In regards to this women, IMO, it also shows you can have questionable character in your past as well. And yes, I am judging her based on the fact she didn't want custody of her kids, which really really bothers me. But, maybe there is more to it and she just needs to explain or possibly put the right spin on it.

In the end, no matter what I think of her personally, she may be a terrific governor for all I know.

Sarah Palin&#39;s a Brainiac - The Daily Beast

Upvote 0