Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My guess would be that since the girls had been raised largely by the father ... while their mother was away ... that the girls themselves preferred to remain with him until they reached adulthood.

Just my guess though that simple preference was a major factor ... :wave:

Their preference aside, the father would have been in a better position for custody due to the disproportionate parenting time. The adultery has nothing to do with that, however, and more to do with the judge not wanting to disrupt the children's lives further than necessary. If dad spent most of the time raising them, mom would have to show a compelling reason to change that. You can cheat on your wife/husband a million times and it won't impact custody one little bit. Alimony, on the other hand... :sorry:

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
In her own words...
The story of my life is also the story of millions of single mothers who feel alone in the world, millions of young dreamers searching for their chance to become something more than what they were born into, millions of families all across Texas who would sacrifice everything to give their children a better future.

It’s those stories – your stories – that drive my campaign. But Greg Abbott and his allies don’t want to hear them. They don’t have anything to offer Texans who find themselves in the same difficult situation I was in when I was young. They would slam the doors I walked through and pull up the ladders I was lucky to be able to climb.

And now, instead of offering real ideas to improve your life, they’re attacking mine.
Bingo!

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In her own words...
The story of my life is also the story of millions of single mothers who feel alone in the world, millions of young dreamers searching for their chance to become something more than what they were born into, millions of families all across Texas who would sacrifice everything to give their children a better future.

It’s those stories – your stories – that drive my campaign. But Greg Abbott and his allies don’t want to hear them. They don’t have anything to offer Texans who find themselves in the same difficult situation I was in when I was young. They would slam the doors I walked through and pull up the ladders I was lucky to be able to climb.

And now, instead of offering real ideas to improve your life, they’re attacking mine.
Bingo!
Don't be silly. No one is attacking her.

People are simply giving her life story more coverage. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't be silly. No one is attacking her.

People are simply giving her life story more coverage. :thumbsup:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Nobody attacks Sarah "Short-term" Palin, either.^_^ (thats a smiley for laughter).

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Nobody attacks Sarah "Short-term" Palin, either.^_^ (thats a smiley for laughter).

I love going after Palin, because she is as dumb as a box of rocks and is proof, you don't need brains to get into politics.

In regards to this women, IMO, it also shows you can have questionable character in your past as well. And yes, I am judging her based on the fact she didn't want custody of her kids, which really really bothers me. But, maybe there is more to it and she just needs to explain or possibly put the right spin on it.

In the end, no matter what I think of her personally, she may be a terrific governor for all I know.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
As others have pointed out, this stuff is a "walk in the park" compared to the treatment Palin received ... and still receives, as evidenced in this very thread. ;)

So, no whining. :p

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It certainly is.
No, but thanks for the link ... as there have been recent changes I was not aware of in regards to "maintenance".

Alimony in Texas: Myths and Changes | Dallas Bar Association
Contrary to popular belief, Texas alimony does exist, but it’s difficult to obtain. Post-divorce support is referred to as “maintenance” under Chapter 8 of the Texas Family Code. “Maintenance” means an award in a divorce of periodic payments from the future income of one spouse for the support of the other spouse. TFC § 8.001(1). Common misconceptions abound about maintenance. Also, recent substantial legislative changes went into effect for all cases filed on or after September 1, 2011.
Before the new statutory changes, the court could order maintenance for a period of no longer than three years.
Longer periods of "maintenance" are now possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ohhh, ok. Yes, they changed the name here in NY as well. I pay my ex-wife 'spousal maintenance'. Still works the same way, though. I wish I lived in Texas right now - I'd probably pay much less for a far shorter period of time.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As others have pointed out, this stuff is a "walk in the park" compared to the treatment Palin received ... and still receives, as evidenced in this very thread. ;)

So, no whining. :p

Just remember that next time you start to whine about Short-term being nailed for one of her stupid utterances.:cool:

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Just remember that next time you start to whine about Short-term being nailed for one of her stupid utterances.:cool:
lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif

Thanks for the savage personal attacks on Sarah Palin. It helps to highlight the difference between the legitimate descriptions of personal conduct which Wendy Davis engaged in when compared against the inane ridicule leveled at Sarah Palin. :wave:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For me, it's not so much that I mind that she embellished or fudged, because people do that all the time and it's not really a crime (for the most part).

What gets me is that it was the details of the fudging that helped her get her press coverage. Here was this self-made woman who fought her way to the top so to speak, only she wasn't so self-made and ideally, as much as it pains me, I do question how she could run a state if she couldn't manage to be a parent. If the job gets too hot for her, she can't say "it's not a good time for me", really. I mean she could, but that would be career suicide.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For me, it's not so much that I mind that she embellished or fudged, because people do that all the time and it's not really a crime (for the most part).

What gets me is that it was the details of the fudging that helped her get her press coverage. Here was this self-made woman who fought her way to the top so to speak, only she wasn't so self-made and ideally, as much as it pains me, I do question how she could run a state if she couldn't manage to be a parent. If the job gets too hot for her, she can't say "it's not a good time for me", really. I mean she could, but that would be career suicide.

Pretty much this, she sounds like Palin when she dropped out in Alaska.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jnxt

Dec 7, 2013
✟15,381.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

How did you decide she couldn't manage being a parent, or ever stopped managing being a parent?

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Texas Republican defends Wendy Davis
Becky Haskins, a Republican who served with Wendy Davis on the Fort Worth City Council, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Tuesday that Davis was a hard worker who did what she needed to do for her daughters.

“If this involved a man running for office, none of this would ever come up,” Haskins told the Star-Telegram. “It’s so sad. Every time I ran, somebody said I needed to be home with my kids. Nobody ever talks about men being responsible parents.”

“They wouldn’t be talking about Wendy if she weren’t a threat," Haskins added.
No, y'all wouldn't be talking about Wendy if she weren't a threat.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Which are what exactly?

"While I've been a good mother, it's not a good time for me right now"

Sorry but you don't get to pick and choose when you want to be a parent.

Upvote 0