Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sure. Step fathers shouldn't get custody. Ok. That is like your opinion man. You don't think step fathers are real fathers, and thus shouldn't have rights. I get you.

Many disagree though.

You're reading too much here. For legal purposes, step fathers ARE NOT real fathers. My husband, while he is my oldest's father in every way, would not really count for much in the court system because he has no legal ties to my oldest. I had to make it clear in my will that if something happened to me before he came of age, that I wanted guardianship granted to my husband. And even then, if his biological dad had pitched a fit (thankfully he's not in the picture at all) there would've been a court fight.

No she volunteered to.

The court simply agreed to their arrangement.

It's usually the court that makes the arrangements and then the parties really have no choice over it.

You've never been divorced, have you?

Upvote 0

kevinmaynard

Nov 17, 2013
✟886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're reading too much here. For legal purposes, step fathers ARE NOT real fathers. My husband, while he is my oldest's father in every way, would not really count for much in the court system because he has no legal ties to my oldest. I had to make it clear in my will that if something happened to me before he came of age, that I wanted guardianship granted to my husband. And even then, if his biological dad had pitched a fit (thankfully he's not in the picture at all) there would've been a court fight.

It's usually the court that makes the arrangements and then the parties really have no choice over it.

You've never been divorced, have you?

What you say is true in a contested divorce. Not one where parties form an agreement between themselves and their lawyers. Also, a step parent can certainly get custody.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What you say is true in a contested divorce. Not one where parties form an agreement between themselves and their lawyers. Also, a step parent can certainly get custody.
Which agreement becomes the court order. :wave:

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which agreement becomes the court order. :wave:

Once the judge signs the agreement both sides have worked out amongst themselves, it becomes the courts order.

If the divorce was contested along with custody, the judge would rule on all the pertinent issues based on the evidence (and state law) and a dissolution agreement would be written by the court and signed by the judge.

Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Who would have thought that the rising Democrat Texas star was anything but truthful? Here's the sugar-coated version: Wendy Davis admits to fuzzy facts in bio
According to the paper, Davis was not a divorced working mother living in a mobile home at age 19. Instead, she was 21, and lived in a trailer for a short time. Then after a stint living with her mother, Davis moved into her own apartment.

At 24, she married Jeff Davis, a lawyer who, according to the report, helped pay for her final two years of college and cashed out his 401(k) and took out loans to help finance her Harvard law degree.

The marriage eventually ended in divorce, with Jeff Davis getting custody of the couple’s youngest daughter and Wendy Davis paying monthly child support.
Here's a less varnished narrative: Wendy Davis is not Wendy Davis and gets away with it - Hartford Conservative | Examiner.com
Just like stellar Democratic figures before her, she has lied about her past stating that she was a teenage single mom rising up from poverty and putting herself through school. It turns out none of this is true, also she seems to have lost custody of her children because of adultery ...

Reminds me of Elizabeth "I'm a Native American, really, just take my word for it!" Warren.....

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once the judge signs the agreement both sides have worked out amongst themselves, it becomes the courts order.

If the divorce was contested along with custody, the judge would rule on all the pertinent issues based on the evidence (and state law) and a dissolution agreement would be written by the court and signed by the judge.
In most, if not allstates, divorce cannot be contested. Only the terms of the the divorce can be contested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And even if the two parties agree to something, the judge is not bound in any way to accept it.

True. In most cases, if a judge in a divorce case does not go along with what two people agree on, it is usually because what they have agreed on goes against the state statutes the cover divorce. Or, he could have a concern for the kids, that neither parent appears to be concerned about.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And the fact remains, none of this stuff even matters, as long as she is doing her job well.

I would agree. Track record on the job is an important gauge. I mean, look at guys like JFK, he was married, in the white house and living the life of a playboy, but many thought he was a pretty good president, right.

Times have changed and politicians are more open to character examination, especially the higher up they go in office.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I would agree. Track record on the job is an important gauge. I mean, look at guys like JFK, he was married, in the white house and living the life of a playboy, but many thought he was a pretty good president, right.

Times have changed and politicians are more open to character examination, especially the higher up they go in office.
Behavior like JFK's has never been greatly admired in women. :wave:

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the fact remains, none of this stuff even matters, as long as she is doing her job well.

Ah, the Clinton defense. I suppose any activity can be justified using this argument. Of course this defense is totally dependent on the fact you share her views therefore making the promotion of the agenda far more important to any question of character or legality. Consequently this argument is also totally dependent upon hypocrisy, because no Conservative accused of exactly the same would be allowed such passive considerations.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's not that they want to be more open. You just can't hide your past and present secrets very easily anymore. The higher a politician goes, the more digging the opponent does. Everything is fair game now.

Independent voters are more likely concerned about things that the candidate has done in recent years rather than what they did 25-30 years ago.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Behavior like JFK's has never been greatly admired in women. :wave:

Yes, I realize that, but was using that example to show how times have changed. JFK wouldn't last five minutes in a presidential campaign today with his personal life, where back then, it could be kept under the rug.

Whatever this women's sex life was wouldn't be of great concern to me, but the whole thing about the kids would be something she would have to have a great explanation for, if I was going to vote for her.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not that they want to be more open. You just can't hide your past and present secrets very easily anymore. The higher a politician goes, the more digging the opponent does. Everything is fair game now.

Independent voters are more likely concerned about things that the candidate has done in recent years rather than what they did 25-30 years ago.

Thats what I meant, the higher they go, they are more open to character examination. They themselves are not more open, the current system and expectations that go along with it, make them more open to being scrutinized.

Upvote 0