Liberals, why can't someone choose their race?

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why can't Rachel Dolezal be black? Why does it matter if someone's parents and grandparents or direct lineage is majority European descent if they sincerely identify with being black? Sooner or later you guys will need to be consistent.

Um - well - what exactly is she identifying with? If her skin color is white and she identifies with "blacks" does that mean she identifies with other people who have white skin who call themselves black?

Upvote 0

Z.Mackenzie

Nov 4, 2015
✟15,534.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Um - well - what exactly is she identifying with? If her skin color is white and she identifies with "blacks" does that mean she identifies with other people who have white skin who call themselves black?

She is identifying as a black woman. She has already made that clear. So why can't she be black?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
She is identifying as a black woman. She has already made that clear. So why can't she be black?

You didn't answer my question. If someone with white skin is identifying as "black", what exactly are they identifying with? I guess she can call herself a pink unicorn if she wishes, but what would it mean? Nothing.

I've decided to identify as "poor" so I can receive government aid. Why can't I do that?

Upvote 0

Z.Mackenzie

Nov 4, 2015
✟15,534.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You didn't answer my question. If someone with white skin is identifying as "black", what exactly are they identifying with? I guess she can call herself a pink unicorn if she wishes, but what would it mean? Nothing.

I've decided to identify as "poor" so I can receive government aid. Why can't I do that?

I already answered it. She identifies as a black woman.

It would also mean something. It means she is a black woman.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I already answered it.

No, you're just talking in circles. Define "black" for me as you're using the term.

If marking "black" on a financial aid form increases your chances of receiving that aid, and if people can simply identify however they please, then why wouldn't everyone mark that box?

Upvote 0

Z.Mackenzie

Nov 4, 2015
✟15,534.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No, you're just talking in circles. Define "black" for me as you're using the term.

If marking "black" on a financial aid form increases your chances of receiving that aid, and if people can simply identify however they please, then why wouldn't everyone mark that box?

Rachel Dolezal is identifying with a race. She believes she is a black woman. what more defining do you need?

So why cant she be a black woman?

"If marking "black" on a financial aid form increases your chances of receiving that aid, and if people can simply identify however they please, then why wouldn't everyone mark that box?"

If marking "female" on a financial aid form increases your chances of receiving that aid, and if people can simply identify however they please, then why wouldn't everyone mark that box?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So why cant she be a black woman?

If upheld it would entitle her to the associated legal protections - something she doesn't deserve.

Rachel Dolezal is identifying with a race. She believes she is a black woman. what more defining do you need?

Never mind. I'm not going to play these silly games.

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Z.Mackenzie

Nov 4, 2015
✟15,534.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
If upheld it would entitle her to the associated legal protections - something she doesn't deserve.

Never mind. I'm not going to play these silly games.

What silly game??? At the end of the day she is a black woman.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Given that these things aren't binary, exactly how black is she? Genetically, I mean. And where's your cut off? How many 'black' genes must someone have for you to classify them as black?

Hopefully your inability to answer these questions will help you to understand what a vague social construct race actually is.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Given that these things aren't binary, exactly how black is she? Genetically, I mean. And where's your cut off? How many 'black' genes must someone have for you to classify them as black?

Hopefully your inability to answer these questions will help you to understand what a vague social construct race actually is.
But the construct of race (at least in the US) does not appear to be built on genetics; least ways I have never read/heard anything supporting that. It is based instead on lineage; how many of your ancestors were of such a background and how recent. Native Americans take the same approach to tribal membership. It requires a certain amount of blood relations to pass the % threshold to be admitted as a member. Several months ago there was a big brouhaha in the OK (IRCC) Cherokee tribe where they increased the % necessary to be part of the tribe excluding many people from receiving a financial settlement or such. Genetics has little to do with it....

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
But the construct of race (at least in the US) does not appear to be built on genetics
On what, then, is it based? Skin colour? Do I change race slightly after a couple of days on the beach? Or is it some nebulous judgment of appearance? Nose length? Lip thickness?

requires a certain amount of blood relations to pass the % threshold to be admitted as a member.
You have to admit, that does sound a bit genetic-y...

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
As I pointed out, which you ignored, it is based on lineage; who your ancestors were. Native Americans use that same construct even today.

On what, then, is it based? Skin colour? Do I change race slightly after a couple of days on the beach? Or is it some nebulous judgment of appearance? Nose length? Lip thickness?

You have to admit, that does sound a bit genetic-y...

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
As I pointed out, which you ignored, it is based on lineage; who your ancestors were. Native Americans use that same construct even today.
OK. So, genetics then?

And how far back are we going? I mean, I have dark hair, but you would identify me as white. How many generations, and why that number?

Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
OK. So, genetics then?

And how far back are we going? I mean, I have dark hair, but you would identify me as white. How many generations, and why that number?
Given the uncomfortable fact that far enough back, we're all descended from black Africans...

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
OK. So, genetics then?

You can continue down that road if you like, I am taking this exit......

Upvote 0