✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 9:
19 For whereas I was free as to all, I made myself the servant of all, that I might gain the more. 20 And I became to the Jews, a Jew, that I might gain the Jews:
21 To them that are under the law, as if I were under the law, (whereas myself was not under the law,) that I might gain them that were under the law. To them that were without the law, as if I were without the law, (whereas I was not without the law of God, but was in the law of Christ,) that I might gain them that were without the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might gain the weak. I became all things to all men, that I might save all. 23 And I do all things for the gospel's sake: that I may be made partaker thereof. 24 Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one receiveth the prize? So run that you may obtain.

Upvote 0

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I was at the monastery one of the monks was telling us about when he was a kid going to public school the teachers had them make pictures for St. Patricks Day. Of course expecting that all the kids were draw pictures of lepracauns and shamrocks the monk made a picture of St. Patrick. The teacher hung all the kids pictures on the board except the picture of St. Patrick because it is against school policy to hang pictures of Saints up on the blackboard. He said he knew from the expression on the teacher and principal's face that he had gotten himself involved in something that was over his head.

We all joked with him that he should have sued the school for violating his rights.

But the secular progressives (which is a better term I guess than liberals) will do anything and everything to get rid of any holiday that has to do with Chrisitanity. But this is what Jesus meant when he said as the world hated him so will it hate you.

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
I think kids should learn that Easter is about Christ's rising from the dead for the salvation of humanity and not about a giant bunny that brings them toys.
Sounds right to me. Though I still dread the day Victoria asks about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, and why they bring candy and toys to all the other children but not to her. I still have a few years to come up with an answer.

I'm not a liberal by any stretch of the word, but I don't see the problem in the school's actions. I wouldn't want them celebrating Ramadan or Yom Kippur with the kids, so why should they celebrate Easter? Teaching religion is my job, not theirs. Of course, I'd rather the rabbit just not have come instead of confusing everything with a renaming.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds right to me. Though I still dread the day Victoria asks about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, and why they bring candy and toys to all the other children but not to her. I still have a few years to come up with an answer.

I'm not a liberal by any stretch of the word, but I don't see the problem in the school's actions. I wouldn't want them celebrating Ramadan or Yom Kippur with the kids, so why should they celebrate Easter? Teaching religion is my job, not theirs. Of course, I'd rather the rabbit just not have come instead of confusing everything with a renaming.

I hate it when people quote an entire post - but some posts are just SOOOO good....

I'm debating about the whole Santa and Easter Bunny thing in our house. I would love to never hear of the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus or the Purple Passover Penguin again, but it is hard to do when seemingly everyone else is for them. I suppose I'll take the easy way out and tollerate them in my home and be just like everyone else, but I'll be loathing it silently the whole time.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

First it was Christmas now the Easter Bunny is "too Christian" How long before these politically correct liberals get sent to some island like Alcatraz where they can leave the rest of the 92% of the people who celebrate traditional Holidays in peace?

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...t/20070407201309990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

School Renames Easter Bunny 'Peter Rabbit'

ABC News
(April 7) -- A Rhode Island public school has decided the Easter bunny is too Christian and renamed him Peter Rabbit, and a state legislator is so hopping mad he has introduced an "Easter Bunny Act" to save the bunny's good name.

"Like many Rhode Islanders I'm quite frustrated … by people trying to change traditions that we've held in this country for 150 years, like the Easter bunny," Rhode Island State Rep. Richard Singleton told "Good Morning America Weekend Edition."

The Easter bunny was scheduled to make an appearance at a craft fair on Saturday at Tiverton Middle School in Tiverton, R.I.

But the district's schools Superintendent William Rearick told event organizers to change the bunny's name to Peter Rabbit in "an attempt to be conscious of other people's backgrounds and traditions."

Singleton struck back this week by proposing a bill, nicknamed the "Easter Bunny Act," to stop all local municipalities from changing the name of popular religious and secular symbols like the Easter bunny.

"The underlying theme here is serious," he said. "I don't think a superintendent of schools should have the authority to change something we've held so deeply for 150 years."

Not everyone in Rhode Island, however, believes the Easter bunny is worth fighting for.

"As a Christian symbol, I would say [the Easter bunny] is not one of those that I would go to the barricades to defend," Rev. Bernard Healy, the Catholic Diocese of Providence, R.I., said in a statement.

Singleton, however, said the perceived religious symbolism versus its actual religious significance is why it shouldn't be banned.

"The Easter bunny is not a religious symbol," he said. "Why it's being banned doesn't make sense."

The American Civil Liberties Union has also spoken out the issue.

"Public schools should not be promoting Easter celebrations, and to the extent that the school districts try to avoid that problem they are to be commended," Steve Brown, the executive director of the ACLU Rhode Island affiliate, said in a statement.

Singleton, however, dismissed the ACLU's comments.

"I don't pay a lot of attention to what the ACLU says quite frankly," he said. This is "political correctness gone wild. 'It's crazy."

Singleton said the bill is meant to protect all traditional and religious symbols for example, if someone wanted to change "the name of the menorah to the candelabra."

The politician isn't positive that Peter Rabbit would have been the right replacement anyway.

"By the way, Peter Rabbit stole cabbages and that's not a good role model for our kids," he joked.

What do you think of the Easter bunny ban?
I oppose it 92%
I support it 8%
Total Votes: 66,647

Do you celebrate Easter?

Yes 87%
No 13%
Total Votes: 65,860
Seriously-- there has got to be a better way to use our tax dollars than voting on crap like this....That a government would even waste paper on this is appalling.

Who cares- I mean who really cares--we have the freedom to worship as we like. No one is standing with guns barrring enterance to places of worship, no one here feels threatened on their way to church. No one is oppressed for their participation in worship ---unless of course one is a Muslim- and then apparently the people who want to waste time defeding the Easter bunny are singing a different toon....

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Try moving the gift-giving holiday to Dec 6, the feastday of St Nicholas. We are teaching our children that we give gifts in remembrance of the generosity of St Nicholas. He was a bishop of the pre-schism Church, who was a great fighter for the Church. While our kids know that St Nicholas doesn't bring the presents, they know that we exchange presents on St Nicholas day.

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
Try moving the gift-giving holiday to Dec 6, the feastday of St Nicholas. We are teaching our children that we give gifts in remembrance of the generosity of St Nicholas. He was a bishop of the pre-schism Church, who was a great fighter for the Church. While our kids know that St Nicholas doesn't bring the presents, they know that we exchange presents on St Nicholas day.
That's brilliant! Thank you, I'll be doing this next time December rolls around!

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
I hate it when people quote an entire post - but some posts are just SOOOO good....

I'm debating about the whole Santa and Easter Bunny thing in our house. I would love to never hear of the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus or the Purple Passover Penguin again, but it is hard to do when seemingly everyone else is for them. I suppose I'll take the easy way out and tollerate them in my home and be just like everyone else, but I'll be loathing it silently the whole time.
I've had it easy so far. She's only a year and a half.

The way I looked at it was, if I spend her first seven or eight years telling her about things like Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, how much would that destroy my credibility when I told her about Jesus, hearing all our prayers, rising from the dead, the Holy Spirit living inside of us? I don't want her getting confused between Santa "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good.", and the real Jesus that really does all those things. It could easily confuse a youngin. It's not wrong to pretend about Santa, I just couldn't make myself comfortable with doing it.

Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:doh: Ooooooo....

What's going on in the States sounds a lot like what's going on over here, in Quebec, Canada, in matters of accomodating all the religions that are represented in our country.

This is getting highly ridiculous over here, to a point that we are becoming assimilated by the immigrants (especially the Muslims). Very soon, we shall lose our cultural and Christian identity. Ohhhh, no one must be offended... :doh:

The Easter bunny.... my goodness....

Upvote 0

GottaBeMare

Mar 1, 2007
✟7,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've had it easy so far. She's only a year and a half.

The way I looked at it was, if I spend her first seven or eight years telling her about things like Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, how much would that destroy my credibility when I told her about Jesus, hearing all our prayers, rising from the dead, the Holy Spirit living inside of us? I don't want her getting confused between Santa "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good.", and the real Jesus that really does all those things. It could easily confuse a youngin. It's not wrong to pretend about Santa, I just couldn't make myself comfortable with doing it.

I went to a Catholic school, but we also had the traditions of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny through the school. We were just taught that it wasn't the true meaning of the holiday, just a garnish. I am a little unsure how to handle it with kids of my own, because I do want them brought up in the Faith. But is it possible that if the kids don't have the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus traditions then hear all the things about them from their classmates they might become resentfull of the Faith?

I do think there has to be a difference, however, between a nice tradition and the Truth that is the story of Jesus Christ. I think there is a point that how do you teach kids that Christmas is not about Santa Claus and Easter is not about the Bunny? As much as I enjoyed the traditions as a child, and still enjoy things like coloring eggs and over decorating at Christmas, I do not like to see secularization of things that are supposed to be of the most Sacred.

Does this post have a point? I'm not sure. :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.