http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Let me clarify, these "do-gooders" "bleeding heart liberals" who wish to call Christmas winterval festival, & who want to ban piglet statues from Winny The Pooh from work as it may offend Muslims do more damage to society than anyone. They make non-muslims think bad of Muslims when actually Muslims couldnt care less, do you understand where I am coming from?

Hmm, partly. I agree with your point that Muslims, generally speaking, aren't as easily offended as we might think; I'm thinking especially of the plans to scrap education about the Holocaust, even though nobody's actually complained about them, and that people wrongly get a bad impression of Muslims because of this. I guess I was objecting more to the terms you used than the meaning of what you were saying- I was possibly nitpicking :)

Upvote 0

themaninblack1963

Apr 4, 2007
Birmingham UK
✟15,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hmm, partly. I agree with your point that Muslims, generally speaking, aren't as easily offended as we might think; I'm thinking especially of the plans to scrap education about the Holocaust, even though nobody's actually complained about them, and that people wrongly get a bad impression of Muslims because of this. I guess I was objecting more to the terms you used than the meaning of what you were saying- I was possibly nitpicking :)
No problem I am as easy going as they come but due to some of the stupid things decided by local & national politicians it actually turns people against one another!! I work with many Muslims & Sikhs & a few Jews & they are fed up with being used by politicians as an excuse to knock Chritianity. There are narrow minded "christians" out there who would use these as excuses to spread hatred I am sure most would agree with this?

Upvote 0

themaninblack1963

Apr 4, 2007
Birmingham UK
✟15,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Are you saying that Jews, Muslims and people of other faiths should just suck it up when their children come home from school wondering why Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny can't visit their houses, too?

And that they should do so because if they don't, Christians, whom they have been told in the Bible should:

-love their neighbors as themselves, and
- consider Samaritans (e.g. non-Christians) their neighbors

will become so incensed that they will discriminate against them?
Right dont know where you are coming from here! Do you want Christmas, Easter etc. watered down in case anyone is offended? I do not want ANY Christian to discriminate against ANYONE but it happens & these politicians are adding fuel to the fire surely you can see this?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,435.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Religious holidays can and should always be celebrated in churches and homes.

If a Christian holiday is celebrated in a public arena, hopefully the purpose is evangelistic--that it might inspire others to want to learn more about Christianity.

For example, one Protestant church where I live gives away toys at Christmas and bags of food at Easter to everyone who comes to visit. This is evangelistic--because seeing their love in action, people might be inspired to learn more about Christianity.

Others may hold pageants open to all, or All Hallows' Eve parties.

And so, if a school celebrates Easter, a school which is constitutionally required to be religiously neutral, is it doing anything to further evangelism, or just to allow children of a certain religion to celebrate a holiday that other children don't.

Upvote 0

GorrionGris

...but the greatest of these is Love
Nov 15, 2006
Gran Canaria, Spain
✟9,212.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Religious holidays can and should always be celebrated in churches and homes.

If a Christian holiday is celebrated in a public arena, hopefully the purpose is evangelistic--that it might inspire others to want to learn more about Christianity.

For example, one Protestant church where I live gives away toys at Christmas and bags of food at Easter to everyone who comes to visit. This is evangelistic--because seeing their love in action, people might be inspired to learn more about Christianity.

Others may hold pageants open to all, or All Hallows' Eve parties.

And so, if a school celebrates Easter, a school which is constitutionally required to be religiously neutral, is it doing anything to further evangelism, or just to allow children of a certain religion to celebrate a holiday that other children don't.
Couldn't it be neutral by allowing (within reason) every tradition instead of trampling every single one?

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just for clarification the easter bunny is not a Catholic Tradition.

But hard boiled eggs with horseradish, kielbasa and rye bread is the traditional Easter lunch for some Polish Catholics.

One we've borrowed and are going to enjoy in about and hour and a half.

They can take the Easter bunny away but they aren't getting the kielbasa.

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
*raises hand meekly* I'm a liberal, and I still celebrate Easter. I think most of us politically correct liberal Christians still do.
Well, in fairness to liberals. 92% of the people in that poll oppose banning the easter bunny and 87% celebrate Easter. So, since the country is roughly 50-50 split liberals and conservatives, it would appear there are a lot of liberals that think this is rediculous too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think there's any indication as to whether the school principal is a liberal or a conservative.

If his school is located in a culturally diverse area, with many Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, or other believers, he may just be attempting to respect everyone's traditions by allowing them to practice them at home.

In my experience, public schools in predominantly Christian areas usually allow much more Christianity into the schools--via organizations, graduation prayers, etc.

Schools in diverse areas try to maintain a secular image by not favoring one religion over another.
I have yet to see a conservative who would do something as rediculous as this. Look at who is behind this...the ACLU...the most liberal organization out there.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Well, in fairness to liberals. 92% of the people in that poll oppose banning the easter bunny and 87% celebrate Easter. So, since the country is roughly 50-50 split liberals and conservatives, it would appear there are a lot of liberals that think this is rediculous too.

I think you're right there. It's only a minority of people who support this.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Are you saying that Jews, Muslims and people of other faiths should just suck it up when their children come home from school wondering why Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny can't visit their houses, too?

Irving Berlin, born Israel Isidore Baline, the composer of White Christmas, likely the best-selling American Christmas hit of all time, was an Russian Ashnekazi-Jewish immigrant.

Now there was an immigrant we can all relate to! Jew or no, he didn't feel the need to suck it up to revel in the American cultural mosaic to the fullest.
Not at all!

Really, you don't have to be Christian to enjoy traditional North American holdiays. Even Grace Glick made some time to paint eggs, even as she rejected nails in holy legs.

I would hope that people would immigrate to our countries because they already appreciate the customs that we all celebrate. When did it happen that we are expected to change our own habits to accomodate the immigrant, rather than the other way around, as in the days of Irving Berlin?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,435.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Irving Berlin, born Israel Isidore Baline, the composer of White Christmas, likely the best-selling American Christmas hit of all time, was an Russian Ashnekazi-Jewish immigrant.

Now there was an immigrant we can all relate to! Jew or no, he didn't feel the need to suck it up to revel in the American cultural mosaic to the fullest.
Not at all!

Really, you don't have to be Christian to enjoy traditional North American holdiays. Even Grace Glick made some time to paint eggs, even as she rejected nails in holy legs.

I would hope that people would immigrate to our countries because they already appreciate the customs that we all celebrate. When did it happen that we are expected to change our own habits to accomodate the immigrant, rather than the other way around, as in the days of Irving Berlin?
"Easter Parade" was part of a musical score that Berlin was commissioned to write, not an expression of his heartfelt emotions.

Similarly, Jewish composer Steven Schwartz broke into the public eye with "Godspell" but later in his career focused on projects that were an expression of his Jewish faith--"The Prince of Egypt" and "Children of Eden."

I believe that immigrants need to learn the language and customs of the country they live in, but that does not necessarily mean celebrating their holidays.

You might be interested to know that Catholic immigrants tend to remain strongest in their faith when they cling to their old traditions and celebrate their faith within their cultural group, and weaken when they assimilate into American culture.

Are you suggesting that it's best for these Catholics to assimilate into American culture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
"Easter Parade" was part of a musical score that Berlin was commissioned to write, not an expression of his heartfelt emotions.

Similarly, Jewish composer Steven Schwartz broke into the public eye with "Godspell" but later in his career focused on projects that were an expression of his Jewish faith--"The Prince of Egypt" and "Children of Eden."

I believe that immigrants need to learn the language and customs of the country they live in, but that does not necessarily mean celebrating their holidays.

You might be interested to know that Catholic immigrants tend to remain strongest in their faith when they cling to their old traditions and celebrate their faith within their cultural group, and weaken when they assimilate into American culture.

Are you suggesting that it's best for these Catholics to assimilate into American culture?

I am suggesting that the most successful immigrant are those who have an actual love for the culture that they are immigrating into.
And over all, the ghettoization of any ethnic group has never really a good thing for anybody involved-Catholics included.
Certainly the Canadian experience has been that the French Canadians that resisted assimilation into North American society for so long in the end rejected their own Catholicism to an unprecdented extent, maybe even in comparison to secularized Europe. Clinging to theior old ways merely led to comparitive impoverishment, and then rejection of the very Catholicism that they blamed for keeping them backward.

Upvote 0

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's a big difference between a parable, which is a rhetorical illustration, and the cult of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny which have completely replaced Christ for most of society. These 'symbols,' though they symbolize something very vacuous indeed, have become something pernicious to the practise of the faith.

There is nothing "vacuous" about these symbols. They were created by the forces of evil to promote the sin of covetousness. They taught us and our children to put our desires for something material first.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
IN a way, not directly, but indirectly....the Rabbit and Easter and what not are all 'scriptural.'

Paul did say to the Jews he was a Jew, to the Gentiles, he was a gentile...
To SAVE them he became them.

The pagans used these symbols...the Christians turned them around to show how they were true for Christianity.

We didnt adopt paganism.

The pagans adopted Christianity and were saved.

Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit, so God ordained the use of symbols to SAVE ALL HIS PEOPLE.

We are all His people.

Happy Easter, and God Bless !!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.