Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First it was Christmas now the Easter Bunny is "too Christian" How long before these politically correct liberals get sent to some island like Alcatraz where they can leave the rest of the 92% of the people who celebrate traditional Holidays in peace?

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...t/20070407201309990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

School Renames Easter Bunny 'Peter Rabbit'

ABC News
(April 7) -- A Rhode Island public school has decided the Easter bunny is too Christian and renamed him Peter Rabbit, and a state legislator is so hopping mad he has introduced an "Easter Bunny Act" to save the bunny's good name.

"Like many Rhode Islanders I'm quite frustrated … by people trying to change traditions that we've held in this country for 150 years, like the Easter bunny," Rhode Island State Rep. Richard Singleton told "Good Morning America Weekend Edition."

The Easter bunny was scheduled to make an appearance at a craft fair on Saturday at Tiverton Middle School in Tiverton, R.I.

But the district's schools Superintendent William Rearick told event organizers to change the bunny's name to Peter Rabbit in "an attempt to be conscious of other people's backgrounds and traditions."

Singleton struck back this week by proposing a bill, nicknamed the "Easter Bunny Act," to stop all local municipalities from changing the name of popular religious and secular symbols like the Easter bunny.

"The underlying theme here is serious," he said. "I don't think a superintendent of schools should have the authority to change something we've held so deeply for 150 years."

Not everyone in Rhode Island, however, believes the Easter bunny is worth fighting for.

"As a Christian symbol, I would say [the Easter bunny] is not one of those that I would go to the barricades to defend," Rev. Bernard Healy, the Catholic Diocese of Providence, R.I., said in a statement.

Singleton, however, said the perceived religious symbolism versus its actual religious significance is why it shouldn't be banned.

"The Easter bunny is not a religious symbol," he said. "Why it's being banned doesn't make sense."

The American Civil Liberties Union has also spoken out the issue.

"Public schools should not be promoting Easter celebrations, and to the extent that the school districts try to avoid that problem they are to be commended," Steve Brown, the executive director of the ACLU Rhode Island affiliate, said in a statement.

Singleton, however, dismissed the ACLU's comments.

"I don't pay a lot of attention to what the ACLU says quite frankly," he said. This is "political correctness gone wild. 'It's crazy."

Singleton said the bill is meant to protect all traditional and religious symbols for example, if someone wanted to change "the name of the menorah to the candelabra."

The politician isn't positive that Peter Rabbit would have been the right replacement anyway.

"By the way, Peter Rabbit stole cabbages and that's not a good role model for our kids," he joked.

What do you think of the Easter bunny ban?
I oppose it 92%
I support it 8%
Total Votes: 66,647

Do you celebrate Easter?

Yes 87%
No 13%
Total Votes: 65,860

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
KJF,

I will give you one thing...if Guiliani remains the front runner on the Republican side and ends up winning the Republican nomination I will not vote for President for the first time since I have been able to vote. Unless there is a third party candidate that I can support. Guiliani supports tax payer funding for abortions as do both Hillary Clinton and Obama so I cannot support any of them.

I am not 100% sure but I believe Guiliani supports even partial birth abortion.

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
KJF,

I will give you one thing...if Guiliani remains the front runner on the Republican side and ends up winning the Republican nomination I will not vote for President for the first time since I have been able to vote. Unless there is a third party candidate that I can support. Guiliani supports tax payer funding for abortions as do both Hillary Clinton and Obama so I cannot support any of them.

I am not 100% sure but I believe Guiliani supports even partial birth abortion.

mitt romney supported abortion too! he only changed it recently to fit in with the republican platform. he was also (and still is) a major supporter of gay marriage. he even stated once that he would do more for gay marriage then ted keennedy :) :) :) :)

either way.. gulliani won't win. it's the beginning of the campaign, and it will definetely change. like in 2004.. everyone thought howard dean was going to be the elected democrat to run for president. and it ended up being kerry. i am almost positive that when it comes to 2008, it will prolly be like brownback or someone.

Upvote 0

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Now, both Democrats and Republicans are working to get this law taken off the books.

Also, I was right...Guiliani is pro partial birth abortion...

Rudy Giuliani on Abortion

Pro-choice; no ban on partial-birth abortions

“I’m pro-choice. I’m pro-gay rights,” Giuliani said. He was then asked whether he supports a ban on what critics call partial-birth abortions. “No, I have not supported that, and I don’t see my position on that changing,” he responded.

Source: CNN.com, “Inside Politics” Dec 2, 1999

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
I fail to see what the Easter Bunny has to do with Christianity, or more importantly, Easter.

Moreover, to promote the mythology of a gift-giving rabbit is scandalous to the promotion of the true faith, much in the same way Santa Claus perverts the celebration of the Nativity.

If symbols bother you, I hope you skip over Christ's parables when you read the Bible.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Moreover, to promote the mythology of a gift-giving rabbit is scandalous to the promotion of the true faith, much in the same way Santa Claus perverts the celebration of the Nativity.

Perhaps a Catholic will explain how the church views traditions and celebrations which are ancillary to religious holiday. I know I would have enjoyed Catholic Merry Olde England more than Cromwell's austere autocratic rule.

Upvote 0
T

tintinnabulation

If symbols bother you, I hope you skip over Christ's parables when you read the Bible.

There's a big difference between a parable, which is a rhetorical illustration, and the cult of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny which have completely replaced Christ for most of society. These 'symbols,' though they symbolize something very vacuous indeed, have become something pernicious to the practise of the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
There's a big difference between a parable, which is a rhetorical illustration, and the cult of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny which have completely replaced Christ for most of society. These 'symbols,' though they symbolize something very vacuous indeed, have become something pernicious to the practise of the faith.

Symbols are symbols. Rabbits are symbols of fertility and life, which is quite appropriate for Easter. How exactly have they become pernicious? I don't know about your church, but my Church makes sure that our youth are grounded in what Easter is about - so that symbols such as Easters eggs and rabbits don't turn into something they shouldnt. This also goes in line with parenting.

Santa Claus is a symbol for Christ. Furthermore, the historical Santa Claus was a bishop of the Church.

These things don't detract from either celebrations to me. I am very sorry they do to you.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Daryl, you have spoken about joining a monastery. When are you going to drop this whole grudge you have towards people you label as "liberal"? Monastic life is a supposed to be humble way of life with love for everybody, not a bunch of guys that sit around and talk about how liberal politicians are liars. You can't go on like this especially if you are planning to become a monk. The world is not black and white. Those who have strayed from the Church are the people that need our love the most. You might want to ask yourself if this mindset you have is bringing you closer or further away from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think there's any indication as to whether the school principal is a liberal or a conservative.

If his school is located in a culturally diverse area, with many Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, or other believers, he may just be attempting to respect everyone's traditions by allowing them to practice them at home.

In my experience, public schools in predominantly Christian areas usually allow much more Christianity into the schools--via organizations, graduation prayers, etc.

Schools in diverse areas try to maintain a secular image by not favoring one religion over another.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Unbelievable!!!! I am tired of all these liberal do-gooders! They are everywhere, they are here in the UK aswell! And it's usually the Christian Faith that they attack no other religon or institution.

You've used the expression 'do-gooders'- maybe just as a figure of speech, but surely we should all try and do good? Not to say that the people mentioned in the OP were necessarily doing good, but the phrase 'do-gooders', along with 'bleeding-heart liberals' is one of my pet peeves. Clearly you don't think that they're doing good, because otherwise you'd agree with what they are doing. Doing something good is worthy of praise, and shouldn't be used as an insult.

Upvote 0

themaninblack1963

Apr 4, 2007
Birmingham UK
✟15,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
You've used the expression 'do-gooders'- maybe just as a figure of speech, but surely we should all try and do good? Not to say that the people mentioned in the OP were necessarily doing good, but the phrase 'do-gooders', along with 'bleeding-heart liberals' is one of my pet peeves. Clearly you don't think that they're doing good, because otherwise you'd agree with what they are doing. Doing something good is worthy of praise, and shouldn't be used as an insult.
Let me clarify, these "do-gooders" "bleeding heart liberals" who wish to call Christmas winterval festival, & who want to ban piglet statues from Winny The Pooh from work as it may offend Muslims do more damage to society than anyone. They make non-muslims think bad of Muslims when actually Muslims couldnt care less, do you understand where I am coming from?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me clarify, these "do-gooders" "bleeding heart liberals" who wish to call Christmas winterval festival, & who want to ban piglet statues from Winny The Pooh from work as it may offend Muslims do more damage to society than anyone. They make non-muslims think bad of Muslims when actually Muslims couldnt care less, do you understand where I am coming from?
Are you saying that Jews, Muslims and people of other faiths should just suck it up when their children come home from school wondering why Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny can't visit their houses, too?

And that they should do so because if they don't, Christians, whom they have been told in the Bible should:

-love their neighbors as themselves, and
- consider Samaritans (e.g. non-Christians) their neighbors

will become so incensed that they will discriminate against them?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.