Letting go of ultra sensitivity

Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Through faith, I've been trying to not let things get to me as they once did.
From a traumatic childhood and adolescence by family problems, bullying, teasing, abuse, I held grudges, bitterness and hurt inside for years.

Oh, you'd think after 40 years, someone should just "get over it". I've had to forgive a good handful of people. And lately, no I haven't been hit with painful memories of the past.

Even today with low self esteem, someone says something I may take the wrong way, I'll start to think they've said something offensive.

I know I've get to get past myself. Only God can get me through the struggles I face today.

Reactions: Blue Wren

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Putting on my pop psychology hat here, I think we tend to equate what we believe with who we are. So when someone tells us that we are wrong about something, we think they are saying that there's something wrong with us.

That's why I think it's extremely valuable to preach the gospel to ourselves every day. Reminding ourselves that we are extremely sinful, but that we have a more extreme Savior, keeps things in perspective.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Through faith, I've been trying to not let things get to me as they once did.
From a traumatic childhood and adolescence by family problems, bullying, teasing, abuse, I held grudges, bitterness and hurt inside for years.

Oh, you'd think after 40 years, someone should just "get over it". I've had to forgive a good handful of people. And lately, no I haven't been hit with painful memories of the past.

Even today with low self esteem, someone says something I may take the wrong way, I'll start to think they've said something offensive.

I know I've get to get past myself. Only God can get me through the struggles I face today.

Our sinful natures are all about self. We find it hard to forgive because we find it hard to see the big picture. It isn't about me or you it is about the glory of God in Christ Jesus the Lord. Who do you know that doesn't need forgiveness? You need forgiveness as much as anyone. If you are ever able to grasp the fact that you are no better than anyone else and have committed as bad or worse offences than those you need to forgive you will always have a hard time with forgiveness. It isn't a matter of forgetting but one of understanding that there but by the grace of God go I. You would have done all and more if the hand of God had not restrained you. You don't need to get over yourself you need to see yourself as you really are. If you can ever do that you will not have a problem forgiving others.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Putting on my pop psychology hat here, I think we tend to equate what we believe with who we are. So when someone tells us that we are wrong about something, we think they are saying that there's something wrong with us.

That's why I think it's extremely valuable to preach the gospel to ourselves every day. Reminding ourselves that we are extremely sinful, but that we have a more extreme Savior, keeps things in perspective.

That's an interesting way of looking at it Hammster. Thanks! I know people, including myself can sometimes takes things out of context. The wires get crossed, and it had to be an insult.

I should be reminding myself of the Gospel each day, I know. Although, I do know what Lord Jesus Christ did for me on the cross. And that I'm also a sinful being, and without God there is no good in me/or anyone else for that matter.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Our sinful natures are all about self. We find it hard to forgive because we find it hard to see the big picture. It isn't about me or you it is about the glory of God in Christ Jesus the Lord. Who do you know that doesn't need forgiveness? You need forgiveness as much as anyone. If you are ever able to grasp the fact that you are no better than anyone else and have committed as bad or worse offences than those you need to forgive you will always have a hard time with forgiveness. It isn't a matter of forgetting but one of understanding that there but by the grace of God go I. You would have done all and more if the hand of God had not restrained you. You don't need to get over yourself you need to see yourself as you really are. If you can ever do that you will not have a problem forgiving others.

Thanks for your information. Truthfully, things don't seem to bother me as much. Or the duration of the inner pain doesn't last that long. But still, I know forgiveness is something we must do, even though it's not the easiest thing to do sometimes.

I'll never say I'm perfect or righteous. I know I'm imperfect, and have made many mistakes. When I take something as an insult, which may not even be, I tend to take offense to it quickly. I also try now to forgive quickly. I know the spiritual forces that are at work behind everyone's evil thoughts and deeds, even mine. So no, I don't let what's hurting my own ego eat me up for too long a time before I come back to the realization that yes, I am a sinner as well, and must forgive as Lord Jesus and God forgave me.

Upvote 0