Let's play literal or figurative

How literally can we take the Bible

• Hardly ever, it is often allegorical and not a history book

• Sometimes, but mostly it is hyperbole not relavant to history

• Often, historical narratives are vital to the overall message.

• Allways when presented as an historical narrative.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What immediatly follows is from a post in the Expostional Bible Study thread on the Song of Songs I started there. I am curious what both creationists and TEs think of my little expostion. I have a question, does it make good sense to take a book like Song of Songs literally?

Mark Kennedy said:
Recently I was thumbing through a couple of commentaries on the Song of Songs. They seem to want to reduce this love song and love story to an analogy. I found this watered down the actual message and I would like to share some of my thoughts about this book.

The story starts in the King's Chambers where these two are sitting at the King's Table. They are not in the King's bedroom they are in a Banquete hall. They are talking to the daughters of Jerusalem (probably young unmarried girls) who are planning to make ear rings for the Bride. She has a very dark tan from having to work in the vineyards of her family. When people got married back then the bride and groom had certain responsiblities. The parents would not let them move in together untill everything was done. Her responsibility was to plant a garden and she had planted hers and was waiting for the fruits to be ripe. The groom was most likely putting the finishing touches on their new home.

They make plans to meet under an apple tree while tending their flocks. Since they were espoused (betrothed) she didn't think it was right for her to have to go around like she wasn't married. He tells her to follow the tracks of his flock and I assume that is where they met together. This all takes place that evening they were at the Kings table probably as honored guests.

The following morning before dawn the beloved (the groom) stops by her mothers house. She is having breakfast with her brothers and he is talking to her through the lattice. They remind her of her responsiblities and she sends him on his way. That night she is missing him something fierce so she goes to Jerusalem and drags him back to her mothers for the evening. There is no indication that intercourse is involved but they had to find time for one another when they could.

I have never encountered the interprutation I am working from when looking at this book. However, I am certain that a literal interprutation makes a lot more sense. I am not opposed to taking Song of Songs figurativly or using it as an allegory for Israel/God or Christ/church comparisons. I would like to get into the specifics of the text if anyone is interested in why I think it's important to take this book literally. There are other passages and other books I want to look at later but for now it's the Song of Songs.

Does taking this book literally make sense from a theological point of view?

Grace and peace,
Mark

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
DailyBlessings said:
I'm confused- if the song of songs is nothing but a literal account of an unnamed marriage, why would it be included in the Bible? People get married all the time.

This particular marriage had signifigance that transends Scripture. Basically it is music with a message not unlike many of the Psalms. It was included in the Scriptures because of it's theological signifigance, probably because it was thought to describe the relationship of Israel/God or Christ/Church covenants. I personally don't think so, I think we have a model for the marriage relationship as it develops. It seems very mysterious that this is included at all in the canon of Scripture. I believe the signifigance of this book is revealed in the New Testament even though it is never quoted there. Again, from the thread I started in Bible Expostion:

I'm sitting here with my John Macarthur study Bible, from the 'Background and Setting', section:

"Two people dominate theis true-live, dramatic love song. Soomon, whose kindgship is mentioned 5 times (1:4,12; 3:7,9,11;8:11,12) appears as the beloved."
He does not appear as the beloved, he appears as King Solomon. I really have no idea where they get this idea from since he is mentioned in the third person. Actually it is written from the perspective of the bride, Solomon is telling her story.

"It is an allegory, the letter of which kills those who rest in that and look no further, but the spirit of which gives life, 2 Cor. iii. 6; John vi. 63. It is a parable, which makes divine things more difficult to those who do not love them, but more plain and pleasant to those who do, Matt. xiii. 14, 16." (Matthew Henry, Song of Songs)​

I don't know what Matthew Henry thinks is lost because we take these passages literally. It is love that is revealed in the Gospel, the mystery that had previously hidden.

"That Christ may swell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and frounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height-to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." (Eph. 3:17-19)​

So how do you think love is manifest in the life of believers? The 'unity of the spirit' (Eph. 4:3), speaking the truth in love (4:15), renewed in the spirit of your mind (Eph. 4:23), Walk in love (5:2), bearing the fruit of the spirit (5:9), submitting to one another in the fear of God (5:21). Solomon gives us an example of this kind of love and I think the Jews might be right that this book is the holy of holies in Scripture. With the revelation of the Gospel we know can peer into the mystery hidden down through the ages. The love of God has been manifest, we can see this kind of love in redemptive history and in the lives of these two people.

I think this taken literally has extremely important implications for New Testament theology. I am also convinced that taking it figuratively distracts from the overall message.

"Set me as a seal upon your heart,
As a seal upon your arm;
For love is as strong as death,
Jealousy as cruel as the grave;
Its flames are flames of fire,
A most vehement flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love,
all the wealth of his house,
It would be uitterly dispised." (Song of Songs 8:6,7)​

This reminds me of grace through faith apart from works, love as the preeminant fruit of the spirit, the mark of a disciple and central focus of God's revelation.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mark:

Your poll makes no sense.

In your post you ask about a particular book, Song of Solomon.

But your poll questions are generalized to the entire Bible.

Furthermore, your poll options are not value neutral. I wouldn't select any of those options.

I know your intentions are good, but I think you need to reconsider your language in the poll to make it more specific to that one book and to filter out some of you own bias in the options.

Now I haven't look at Song for a while, so I'll go back and reaquaint myself with it before I respond to your points.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mark kennedy said:
This reminds me of grace through faith apart from works, love as the preeminant fruit of the spirit, the mark of a disciple and central focus of God's revelation.
But that is a figurative interpretation, not literal. All a literal interpretation would tell you is that two people loved each other and got married. Song of Songs has meaning that far transcends that.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
chaoschristian said:
Mark:

Your poll makes no sense.

In your post you ask about a particular book, Song of Solomon.

But your poll questions are generalized to the entire Bible.

Furthermore, your poll options are not value neutral. I wouldn't select any of those options.

I know your intentions are good, but I think you need to reconsider your language in the poll to make it more specific to that one book and to filter out some of you own bias in the options.

Now I haven't look at Song for a while, so I'll go back and reaquaint myself with it before I respond to your points.

Actually the poll was just a general question about the historicity of Scripture. There are other books that I will be mentioning like Job, Esther, Ruth and of course the Gospels and Acts. I probably should have included other/explain in the choices. I assumed that if you didn't care for the choices it could be explained in the thread.

As far as looking at the book, it's only eight chapters long. I would suggest you check out the first and second chapters. Then consider this, is this describing as a Banquet in the King's Chambers at the King's Table? Also, is Solomon the 'beloved' or do you think he might just be watching this romatic drama unfold before him?

At any rate, I have chosen to start the thread off with a literal interprutation held by no Bible scholars that I am aware of. I'm saying the primary story line is a narrative of actual events. Am I streching the literal interprutation too far, most Christian would agree that I am.

Dailyblessings said:
But that is a figurative interpretation, not literal. All a literal interpretation would tell you is that two people loved each other and got married. Song of Songs has meaning that far transcends that.

Well, sort of a figurative or at least abstract interprutation. I still think taking this figuratively water down the actual meaning. Solomon writes this beautifull love story that has been used to illustrate both New and Old Testament themes and I don't mean to diminish this in any way. What I am getting at is this discribes a discernable narrative. I don't want to belabor the point I'm just curious what people think the merits are of seeing this as a brief series of actual events with theological implications.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

depthdeception

Jun 8, 2005
✟4,804.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
DailyBlessings said:
I'm confused- if the song of songs is nothing but a literal account of an unnamed marriage, why would it be included in the Bible? People get married all the time.

Why would this interpretation preclude it from being included? Perhaps you need to adjust your presuppositions about what the Scriptures are supposed to be...

Upvote 0

depthdeception

Jun 8, 2005
✟4,804.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
DailyBlessings said:

Which is...what? What meaning "transcends" that of love?

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why is this in Origins Theology? I dislike the fact that this seems to be an extremely loaded topic. If you want to blast us figurative-Genesis-1 people then just do it and don't bother taking the scenic route there. Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Having said that, it *is* an interesting question. Recently I was at a camp with an Old Testament scholar - a conservative one, mind you, one of those who has nothing to do with the documentary or two-Isaiah or any other "modern" hypotheses about the Bible. But what he said there (we were doing a set of classes on Wisdom Literature and Psalms, that section of the OT) was that with recent developments in comparative study of contemporary songs, the consensus was shifting to the idea that it is a love song. Well, I'm not a Solomon-period Jew so I don't think any form of translation would really help me to capture the response of the original reader to the original (vs. translated, not vs. corrupted or edited!) text. But an example he quoted was this:

Song of Solomon 2:4 He has taken me to the banquet hall,
and his banner over me is love. (NIV)

This is even the chorus of a Sunday School song. (The speaker's daughter was one of our classmates and after class she said, "oh, so that's why my dad told me not to sing it in Sunday School!") According to scholarly reappraisal, the "banquet hall" is actually the inner chambers, the "banner" is better translated as "intention", and the "love" is to be interpreted ... physically. (I am a modest young person. I shall leave the reconstruction of the verse to your own imaginations, which are surely sufficient. ;))

Even without that there is a very obvious sensuality to the book which we miss out in our efforts to "holy-fy" the Bible. It is a very earthy and imaginative book. There is constant reference to "the garden" which is locked and sealed to everyone besides the lover - the beloved's body. Taking that image alone the whole book becomes highly suggestive and erotic - "erotic, but never obscene", the speaker said.

Is this a real-life story, or a fictional one? The answer is: It doesn't matter.

I mean, look at modern love songs. They are vastly inferior, but my point is this: some love songs take the form of semi-narrative (e.g. "Lonely" by Akon :p) ... does it matter whether the writer personally went through these experiences? Is the song somehow "wrong" or "a lie" if the songwriter isn't in fact "lonely" and hasn't in fact "woken up in the middle of the night / and noticed that my girl wasn't by my side"? Would the song somehow be "less relevant" or "less real" if the writer isn't actually desperately single and is actually happily married with grandchildren? I doubt so.

As for the theological implications: if you understand where I'm coming from in interpreting the Songs of Solomon you'll understand why I feel extremely uncomfortable about any form of linking the love displayed here to the love of Christ for the church or the Christian. Song of Solomon describes a highly erotic love that is perfectly appropriate between the married husband and wife, but inappropriate everywhere else. For me as a male reader I might not be in so much danger, but if a sister were to identify herself as the Beloved and Christ as the Lover ... I would fear that it might bring about some distortion.

I don't believe the book is there in the Bible to point directly and explicitly at Christ's love for the church - frankly, it is written very inappropriately if that is its real purpose, to me. I think that it is there in the Bible more to say what God's presence / Christ's love (in an NT context) means to the married couple. Erotic love is a very important and profound part of human experience and it is only appropriate that the Bible should have something to say about it. And whether or not the story is a real story (what little of a story there is in between song-and-dance sequences :p) I think the points it brings forward are relevant in today's society - not to awaken love until it so desires, to keep the garden locked for that one lover, to remember that love is immensely jealous and something to be kept tightly under guard and given away only with much prayer and consideration. It is the perfect antidote to either an over-spiritual outlook that considers sexual pleasure to be inherently sinful, or the anything-goes permissiveness society treats sex with.

Not that I need that antidote just yet ... ;)

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, Im reading Song now and it still seems to be about what I always thought it to be about - sex.

That's the interpretation I first learned and always seems to make the most sense to me.

I've seen some modern attempts to say that the garden and what not are literal.

I'll keep reading and studing and get back with you later.

Still don't like those poll options though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Elagant and articulate as allways shernen, thanks for the thoughtfull response. Some of my thoughts on your comments:

shernren said:
Why is this in Origins Theology? I dislike the fact that this seems to be an extremely loaded topic. If you want to blast us figurative-Genesis-1 people then just do it and don't bother taking the scenic route there. Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

I'm trying to make a point about interpruting things literally in Scripture. This is a window into the the early part of Solomon's reign. At this point he has 60 queens and 80 concubines (6:8), he calls here 'O princes daughter' (7:1) so I think she was the daughter of one of Solomon's sons. How and why things are taken literally is vital to Origins Theology, if we are going to be consistant then there has to be a principle for it.

Having said that, it *is* an interesting question. Recently I was at a camp with an Old Testament scholar - a conservative one, mind you, one of those who has nothing to do with the documentary or two-Isaiah or any other "modern" hypotheses about the Bible. But what he said there (we were doing a set of classes on Wisdom Literature and Psalms, that section of the OT) was that with recent developments in comparative study of contemporary songs, the consensus was shifting to the idea that it is a love song. Well, I'm not a Solomon-period Jew so I don't think any form of translation would really help me to capture the response of the original reader to the original (vs. translated, not vs. corrupted or edited!) text. But an example he quoted was this:

Song of Solomon 2:4 He has taken me to the banquet hall,
and his banner over me is love. (NIV)

This is even the chorus of a Sunday School song. (The speaker's daughter was one of our classmates and after class she said, "oh, so that's why my dad told me not to sing it in Sunday School!") According to scholarly reappraisal, the "banquet hall" is actually the inner chambers, the "banner" is better translated as "intention", and the "love" is to be interpreted ... physically. (I am a modest young person. I shall leave the reconstruction of the verse to your own imaginations, which are surely sufficient. ;))

Soldiers that guarded the royal family most likely had manners that represented their title (Queen, prince, king...etc). The banner he has over her is love which is what binds a relationship like marriage. He brought her into the Kings Chambers, they are accompanied by the Daughters of Jerusalem and her beloved who meet her on the way to the banquete. (1:4)

"We will run after you. The king has brought me into his chambers"

There is a conversation going on between the Daughters of Jerusalem, the Shulamite and the beloved. This is all going on at the King's table:

"While the king is at his table" (1:12), which is in a banqueting house, "He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love" (2:4). The are reclining at the table he has his left hand behind her neck and embraces her with her right. This isn't sex, in fact it sounds to me like they are just cuddled up. She tells the Daughters of Jerusalem not to stir nor awaken love untill it pleases (2:7). That is her concluding remarks to them, she goes home and doesn't see him until early the next morning.

This is a narrative, it give very specific referances to where they are, what they are doing and who is with them. King Solomon is at the head of the Banquete Hall and they are sitting with the daughters of Jerusalem.

Even without that there is a very obvious sensuality to the book which we miss out in our efforts to "holy-fy" the Bible. It is a very earthy and imaginative book. There is constant reference to "the garden" which is locked and sealed to everyone besides the lover - the beloved's body. Taking that image alone the whole book becomes highly suggestive and erotic - "erotic, but never obscene", the speaker said.

At the Banquet Hall the Shulamite mentions 'our bed is green' (1:16) and the beams of our houses are cedar (1:2). She is talking about their home and the garden which at their primary responsiblities. She is saying that everything is almost ready. When she charges the daughters of Jerusalem not to stir or arouse love she is talking about being responsible. Here brothers the next morning remind her of her responsiblities when her beloved (espoused husband) visits them briefly:

"Catch us the foxes, The little foxes that spoil the vines, For our vines have tender grapes." (2:15)

So she sends him on his way 'Turn my beloved, and be like a gazelle' (2:17). Apparently she lived in hill country since he comes skipping on the hills of Bether which is visible westward from the Mt. of Olives.

http://philologos.org/__eb-ttms/temple01.htm

The the north would be the gardens of King Solomon which is where the final scene is. It is there that she agrees to pay him the going price for one of his vineyards along with the wages of the husbandmen.

Is this a real-life story, or a fictional one? The answer is: It doesn't matter.

I think it's very important to discern when the Scripture are speaking a narrative or allegory.

I mean, look at modern love songs. They are vastly inferior, but my point is this: some love songs take the form of semi-narrative (e.g. "Lonely" by Akon :p) ... does it matter whether the writer personally went through these experiences? Is the song somehow "wrong" or "a lie" if the songwriter isn't in fact "lonely" and hasn't in fact "woken up in the middle of the night / and noticed that my girl wasn't by my side"? Would the song somehow be "less relevant" or "less real" if the writer isn't actually desperately single and is actually happily married with grandchildren? I doubt so.

That's just it, it gives you minute details about what is going on. The Scriptures give us glimses of what was going on in Jerusalem during the height of the United Kingdom. Now we can consider what the practices are with regards to marriage. Solomon is showing us one of the most beautifull illustrations of a loving marriage. They prepare everything before they move in together. That is how is was done for centuries. This makes a great model for marriage and like I said before, love is center stage in God's Word. It is clear from the New Testament that love (agape) is the mystery being revealed in Scripture.

As for the theological implications: if you understand where I'm coming from in interpreting the Songs of Solomon you'll understand why I feel extremely uncomfortable about any form of linking the love displayed here to the love of Christ for the church or the Christian. Song of Solomon describes a highly erotic love that is perfectly appropriate between the married husband and wife, but inappropriate everywhere else. For me as a male reader I might not be in so much danger, but if a sister were to identify herself as the Beloved and Christ as the Lover ... I would fear that it might bring about some distortion.

It could be distorted if you told her this is describing a marital union like the one in Genesis that says Adam 'knew' Eve. They are not having these kind of relations yet, don't you get it. The text makes it clear that they are preparing to come together as soon as everything is ready.

Ok, take a look at this, in Matthew 25 we have the parable of the Ten Virgins. The bridegroom is delayed, he has to make sure everything is ready. This is loaded with both cultural and theological insights. The process these two were going through would have been very common. Often these marriage festivities are used the Kingdom Parables. The Church is described as a bride in the final pages of Scripture. If you know how marriages were done in this period you can understand better the teachings of the New Testament.

They were not fully married yet, they were espoused/betrothed just as Mary and Joseph were.

I don't believe the book is there in the Bible to point directly and explicitly at Christ's love for the church - frankly, it is written very inappropriately if that is its real purpose, to me. I think that it is there in the Bible more to say what God's presence / Christ's love (in an NT context) means to the married couple. Erotic love is a very important and profound part of human experience and it is only appropriate that the Bible should have something to say about it. And whether or not the story is a real story (what little of a story there is in between song-and-dance sequences :p) I think the points it brings forward are relevant in today's society - not to awaken love until it so desires, to keep the garden locked for that one lover, to remember that love is immensely jealous and something to be kept tightly under guard and given away only with much prayer and consideration. It is the perfect antidote to either an over-spiritual outlook that considers sexual pleasure to be inherently sinful, or the anything-goes permissiveness society treats sex with.

Not that I need that antidote just yet ... ;)

There is nothing erotic about this book, I don't know where people get this. At their new house she does not let him into her bedroom. There is no indication that they had consumated their marrige yet and good reason why they had not. They were too busy taking care of their responsiblities, he was finishing up their house, she was finishing up the garden. The final peice of the puzzle was the lease of the vineyard. The text seems crystal clear to me, I don't know how so many people miss it.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
chaoschristian said:
Well, Im reading Song now and it still seems to be about what I always thought it to be about - sex.

That's the interpretation I first learned and always seems to make the most sense to me.

I've seen some modern attempts to say that the garden and what not are literal.

I'll keep reading and studing and get back with you later.

Still don't like those poll options though.

While looking at this text try to get a feel for the places described. The Banquet Hall, the Kings Table, the Hills of Bether and the vineyards of Solomon. I'm going to do some looking around and see if I can dig up something on marriage practices.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The visit by the Queen of Sheba, during the time of Solomon's greatest wealth and power, may be important to the meaning of the song.

Consider this: Solomon was the greatest king of his time, Sheba was probably the greatest queen of her time, the SONG was the greatest song, or love story ever told in it's time. The 'marriage' in the song is never performed, or consummated. Similiarly Sheba leaves after a short, but event filled visit.

But in the great bible allegories the King, or prophet, often stands in place of God himself. The mystery is of course: Who is the Shulamite?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
oldwiseguy said:
The visit by the Queen of Sheba, during the time of Solomon's greatest wealth and power, may be important to the meaning of the song.

Consider this: Solomon was the greatest king of his time, Sheba was probably the greatest queen of her time, the SONG was the greatest song, or love story ever told in it's time. The 'marriage' in the song is never performed, or consummated. Similiarly Sheba leaves after a short, but event filled visit.

But in the great bible allegories the King, or prophet, often stands in place of God himself. The mystery is of course: Who is the Shulamite?

When the beloved visits her the morning after the Banquet she tells him to, 'Turn my beloved...upon the mountains of Bether. This was SW of Jerusalem and he probably left the city going out to the fields and stop to say goodmorning. The referance 'Shulamite' is as far as I can gather her family name. My guess is that the beloved was a son of Solomon and she was the daughter of another Judean family. The close proximity could account for how they could so easily walk from Jerusalem to her mothers house (and later their house) in the night.

They were both Judeans and she was dark from working in the vineyards, not from her Queen mother's traits. The fact that they were at the Kings Table and Solomon came out personally indicates that at least one of them was family.

I hate to beat this point to death but the book is full of details about locations and the identity of the people involved. For instance, she says, "I'm the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys." (1:17). The plain of Sharon is west of Jerusalem and was known for it's beautifull flowers. She lived somewhere in Sharon probably at the foot of the Bether mountains SW of Jerusalem.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
oldwiseguy said:
The meaning of the Song of Solomon goes much deeper than a man/woman, or God/Church relationship.

Absolutely! It's a poem, not a historical account of anything. To say it's a love poem is not to say anything about whether or not the two people in it actually existed, or whether it was Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, or any other historical figure.

The two people in it don't even have to have existed. Poets do have a tendency to invent things out of their own heads, or to take myths and legends or stories they're read in other books, and reinterpret them. Shakespeare did that all the time; why shouldn't the author of the Song of Songs?

Poems by their very nature are figurative and non-literal. As the contemporary Irish poet Tom Paulin once put it, "this poem about a bear/ is not a poem about a bear."

It's a love poem. It's figurative. It might be based on a real relationship. Are people really so ignorant about poetry that they think that we poets can't do both at the same time?

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
I hate to beat this point to death but the book is full of details about locations and the identity of the people involved.

And? Any good historical novelist (or any good novelist) will be able to describe real places with a degree of accuracy. Doesn't mean they're talking about real people though. Part of the point of stories is to get people to believe in them at least for the length of time it takes to tell the story. One of the ways to do that is to put in details that the reader will be familiar with. Presumably, the writer knew these places and set the poem in places he/she was familiar with.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
artybloke said:
And? Any good historical novelist (or any good novelist) will be able to describe real places with a degree of accuracy. Doesn't mean they're talking about real people though. Part of the point of stories is to get people to believe in them at least for the length of time it takes to tell the story. One of the ways to do that is to put in details that the reader will be familiar with. Presumably, the writer knew these places and set the poem in places he/she was familiar with.

Actually, it is kind of interesting that the story is told from the perspective of the Shulamite. What are the principles of determining whether or not something in Scripture is a historical narrative? It like a news story, you have the who, what, where, when and why. I think it loses it's impact if you just reduce this book to a love song or an allegory, much less a romance novel.

The Proverbs describes a virtuous wife in this way:

"Who can find a viruous wife?
For her worth is far above rubies.
The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.
She seeks wool and flax,
and willingly works with her hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
She brings her food from afar.
She also rises while it is yet night,
and provides food for her houshold,
and a portion for her maindservants,
She considers a field and buys it;
From her profits she plants a vineyard."

(Proverbs 31:16)

Solomon is describing such a women in the Song of Songs. She rises before dawn they way you see her doing in chapter 3, she buys a field for a vineyard at the end. The Scriptures have meaning far beyond the metaphor and allegory. This isn't just a pithy tale of a ficticious heroine caught in some romatic melodrama. Solomon saw real world wisdom in this relationship. This has meaning both as a wonderful allegory of God's love and covenant relationship with believers and the practical example of a virtuous wife. Marriage is a covenant that lays the foundation for family, this is not just a love story, it's a real world example of how love works.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.