Single
Politics
US-Republican
F e a t u r e _ A r t i c l e
from the December 1990 issue of This Rock magazine:

DOOR TO DOOR WITH THE LEGION OF MARY
By ROBERT H. NYSSEN
source: LINK

DOOR-to-door evangelization is usually considered the domain of the sects. When we hear knocks at the door, we assume sectarians cause them--Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Seventh-Day Adventists.

We don't think the evangelists might be Catholics, but some of them are, and many of the most effective are members of the Legion of Mary.

A worldwide lay organization founded in 1921 by Frank Duff, the Legion uses time-tested methods to locate, identify, and invite into (or back to) the Church everyone from fallen-away Catholics to people uncommitted to any religion. The Legion does this quietly and unobtrusively, yet effectively. The results have been phenomenal.

The most common way to begin is with a parish census. Every family within the parish boundaries is contacted, and every door is knocked on to discover the inhabitants' religious preferences. Even on the first call the parties contacted are invited to the parish and literature, including church schedules, is left.

After the initial call, the evangelists decide whether the parties are likely candidates for follow-up contacts. If so, they're put into the follow-up system. Normally these are lapsed Catholics and non-Catholics who indicate an interest in the Catholic Church.

The methods used by the Legion are non-threatening and neighborly. The religious heritage of others is always respected. The census is highly structured and is designed to secure information quickly, pleasantly, and almost effortlessly. Legionaries don't argue, confront, or antagonize. Their strategy is long-term. I know, because I've been active in Legion work myself.

We work in pairs. After the initial objective is accomplished--after we identify and invite--we attempt to leave the house with an invitation to return again. That's the short-term goal.

The long-term goal is to get the fallen-aways back to the Church and uncommitted non-Catholics to convert. This could take years of follow-up contacts, but occasionally we strike pay dirt on the initial call. I've lost count of how many have come back to the sacraments and how many have started taking instructions as a result of a single invitation. It's as though there are thousands out there just waiting for a knock at the door.

NEEDLESS TO SAY (but I'll say it anyway), adequate programs must be in place and operating in parishes where this type of work is being done by the Legion. Parishes must insure cordial and professional reception of the returnees and prospective converts. The overall program, which encompasses the support activities as well as the door-to-door work, may be as simple or as sophisticated as the pastors, their resources, and the zeal of the parishes allow.

Here's what a typical parish, located in Reno, Nevada, accomplished in a two-year period: We knocked on 2,151 doors, made 1,004 initial contacts, and had 512 follow-up calls. Twenty-five non-Catholics started instructions, 27 lapsed Catholics returned to the sacraments, 60 practicing but unregistered families were signed up at the rectory, and hundreds of pieces of Catholic literature and many holy cards and rosaries were distributed. (Our favorite handout is The Catholic Church: Who Are We?, published by Franciscan Communications in Los Angeles.)

THESE ARE not unusually large numbers. Our work has been duplicated in hundreds of parishes around the country, thousands of parishes around the world--anywhere the Legion is active. In much of the Third World door-to-door work is a routine part of parish activities, and the number of conversions and reconversions is incredible.

We find people must be invited to faith, much the same way they must be invited to buy worldly goods. Fallen-away Catholics often think about returning to the Church, and non-Catholics toy with the tantalizing idea of investigating Catholicism, but most don't know how to start. Even if they do, they're hesitant to take the first step. They need to be invited. It's much as in any sales work: The salesman must ask for the order.

Nowadays there is a tendency to rely too heavily on evangelization through means of mass communication. Although these means must be used effectively, they will never substitute for the primary means of evangelization: personal contact. In fact, the more use we make of radio, television, and direct mail, the greater the need for the shoe-leather apostolate.

Consider what other religions accomplished during 1989 (the most recent year for which there are figures):

The Jehovah's Witnesses baptized 48,358 adult converts and rose to 817,881 members. The Mormons received about 200,000 converts and brought their total to about four million. Campus Crusade for Christ, an Evangelical organization, worked on 175 campuses with 965 full-time, self-supporting volunteers, who brought 18,000 people to "a decision for Christ."

Contrast these figures with those for the Catholic Church. In 1989 we had about 55 million members in this country, but only 82,000 converts--a large number, but not large compared to our base. If the Jehovah's Witnesses started with as many members (and assuming the same ratio of conversions), they would have brought in 3,251,928 converts in one year! It doesn't take much imagination to see we Catholics should do a lot better.

After all, we have some advantages over others who engage in door-to-door work. The first is that we possess the truth, the fullness of faith. Our "product" is the genuine article. Second, in a sense we're the new kids on the block. People aren't accustomed to having Catholics come to their doors, and they're relieved to discover we aren't one of "those others."

Not only are they surprised we're there, but they're pleased with our low-key approach. They realize we aren't going to pressure them. As a result, we're treated courteously and are routinely invited to return. So, while "those others" are wearing out their welcomes (despite which they have great numerical success due to their perseverance), the time seems opportune for Catholic cadres to hit the streets.

CATHOLICS have another advantage--our salvation theology. Many other door-to-door missionaries believe one can be saved only by becoming a card-carrying member of their church. Many sects believe Catholics in particular are damned precisely for being Catholics. Naturally, the sectarians are aggressive; they want to save people from a terrible fate. They know they may not have another chance to talk to the people who answer the doors, so they try to get attention right now.

In contrast, Catholics believe that, although all who are saved are saved as Catholics and through the Catholic Church (which is to say through Jesus, since the Church is his mystical body), people who are not card-carrying Catholics can make it to heaven too. (This is not to say there are no significant advantages in being a card-carrying Catholic.) This means our approach need not seem so urgent. Of course, our theology shouldn't lead us into complacency, nor should it cause us to avoid opportunities to ask people to commit themselves, but we don't have to strong-arm them.

We're able to be authentically neighborly, extending warm welcomes and trusting that the Holy Spirit will work through us when and how he sees fit. We have more time to spend with the people we visit, because we aren't compelled to complete everything in one session.

MOST PEOPLE can't imagine themselves doing any kind of direct home contact work, especially when the "product" is religion. This is understandable: We've all had unpleasant experiences with proselytizers at our doors, and we don't want to come across as pushy. We all fear rejection, and there certainly is rejection involved in this work, but seldom hostility.

Although we are well received generally, not everyone will be persuaded to return to the faith or to become a Catholic, and there are some who won't even talk to us, but I can't recall the last time one of our members was treated rudely. Still, rejection can be painful, and when it occurs Legion members treat it as an opportunity to share the rejection suffered by the Master. When our fragile egos are bruised, it is well for us to reflect on the zeal of the early Christian evangelists, who exposed themselves not just to rejection, but to torture and martyrdom.

Even when we experience indifference or a little hostility, we can't be sure of the result. A veteran evangelist once told me, "Those persons who seem to reject us are nonetheless spiritually pricked, and only God knows what fruit will spring forth." We never can be sure whether a contact has been in vain.

I've trained hundreds of people to do door-to-door work, and practically anyone can do it after a few hours of instruction and field training. There's no need to be a salesman or a theologian. Seldom do we encounter difficult questions; if a sticky situation does arise, we have techniques for handling it.

There are few requirements in this work: a desire to engage in it, a willingness to learn a few tricks of the trade, confidence in the Holy Spirit, confidence in our Lady. If those are in place, the work proceeds and becomes challenging, at times exhilarating, possibly addictive. (But it's a good addiction.)

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Come to my door immediately lol. We need it. Seriously. Someone to sit down with DH and I and discuss that stuff. When the JWs came evangelizing they were so serious and sat down with us once a week to tell us about the trues of their church. They almost had us hook line and sinker but I got out of that by doing some research. No research I do can actually change my mind on Catholicism. All the Anti-Catholic stuff I find can't actually prove anything against the Church IMO. So maybe it is a good idea? How can it hurt? If JWS are convincing with lies and half truths you guys could win souls for the Lord in the same way....maybe but not with lies of course lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My mom did this for a number of years after she retired, and she found it to be rewarding. They visited registered members of their parish who weren't churchgoers. Generally people were nice and cordial to them even if they never showed any interest in going back to church. She retired in her 50's (younger than I am now) and about eight years before my dad, so I think it was good she had meaningful volunteer work that she enjoyed.

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I said JWS taught lies as if they intentionally taught lies and I wanted to clear up that I think like any faith they believe in their whole heart that what they say and teach is true. ITs just that if you do the research you can see where they've missed the mark and their founder didn't understand the bible.

Anyhow I think it would be great if Catholics were willing to go door to door and maybe even take it a step further and sit down and have bible studies with non-Catholics and maybe help correct some misconceptions about the Catholic Faith.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Legion of Mary (Latin: Legio Mariae) is an association of Catholic laity who serve the Church on a voluntary basis. It was founded in Dublin, Ireland, as a Roman Catholic Marian Movement by layman Frank Duff, and has today over three million active members worldwide. The number of the auxiliary members is estimated to be about ten million.

To be in the Legion of Mary, one must be a practising Catholic. Active members serve God under the banner of Mary by practising the Spiritual Works of Mercy. The main apostolate of the Legion consists in activities directed towards all men and women, young and old, rich and poor as well as people from the margins of society (homeless, prostitutes, prisoners etc.) and towards non-Catholics. The members of the Legion are primarily engaged in the performance of the Spiritual Works of Mercy rather than works of material aid.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

Tu Es Petrus

Dec 10, 2008
✟4,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Blessings on your work, TuEsPetrus! I was really impressed. You have made me think about doing this sort of work too, when I retire. I hope others were inspired as well.
Oh, please don't give me any credit: I merely posted the article. I haven't actually done it myself. But I am seriously considering it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.