Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Meeting half way: Driving with 150,000 condoms in your car is probably going to cause a car accident. :D

Imagine trying to explain that one to the cops/insurance company.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Darn, and I just bought 150k condoms.

Because apparently spontaneous sex parties form in their mere presence.

Where does one buy 150k condoms? Wal-Mart?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I still can't wrap my head around the "Don't pass out condoms! They only encourage sinful behavior!" mentality. Abstinence works only for a very, very small amount of people. The majority of people are going to have sex. Period. Why not offer people some protection from STD/STI's and unwanted pregnancy? It doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
selfinflikted said:
I still can't wrap my head around the "Don't pass out condoms! They only encourage sinful behavior!" mentality. Abstinence works only for a very, very small amount of people. The majority of people are going to have sex. Period. Why not offer people some protection from STD/STI's and unwanted pregnancy? It doesn't make sense.

Because sinners need punishing!

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
(since Condoms DONT stop all STD's plus they tear, rip, and come off in times of passion)

I've never had a problem keeping one on during intercourse, nor did any rip or tear or pass on an STD.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never had a problem keeping one on during intercourse, nor did any rip or tear or pass on an STD.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Nor have I. I mean, I know anatomy differs slightly from guy to guy, but, I just can't understand how a condom can "slip off"? I have trouble getting them off myself, and have never even come close to having one just slip off. I'm sure that the vast majority of condom failures are a result of stupidity - like using the one you've had in your wallet for three years and expecting it to still be functional, etc.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know anatomy differs slightly from guy to guy, but, I just can't understand how a condom can "slip off"?

Yes, seriously. They are a tight fit, at least for me. :D

I'm sure that the vast majority of condom failures are a result of stupidity - like using the one you've had in your wallet for three years and expecting it to still be functional, etc.

I'm not convinced that even the age of the condom would be a problem. I'm thinking a lack of education and experience.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Contraception encourages people to engage in sex when without it they would not. Obviously this is not the case for everyone, as unplanned pregnancy has always happened, but what the easy access to contraception does is encourage fornication where previously most would have avoided it (because of the repercussions, whether that be a child or an abortion).

Beyond that, a sex life that has makes no allowance for children IS sinful itself, because it is denying the very basis of where sex comes from and is about; specifically procreation. There are all manner of other things tagged on to sex, but that is its origin and core.

Finally, in separating sex from procreation we separate it from puberty....and that opens up children to being sexualised (which we can clearly see in society today). Thus when contraception is the norm, paedophilia becomes percieved to be less deviant.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Contraception encourages people to engage in sex when without it they would not.

I dunno about that. Is it possible to get any data for this assertion?

Obviously this is not the case for everyone, as unplanned pregnancy has always happened, but what the easy access to contraception does is encourage fornication where previously most would have avoided it (because of the repercussions, whether that be a child or an abortion).

How do you know "most" abstained from sex before contraception? (and, you realize that contraception has been around for hundreds of years, right?)

Beyond that, a sex life that has makes no allowance for children IS sinful itself, because it is denying the very basis of where sex comes from and is about; specifically procreation. There are all manner of other things tagged on to sex, but that is its origin and core.

Finally, in separating sex from procreation we separate it from puberty....and that opens up children to being sexualised (which we can clearly see in society today). Thus when contraception is the norm, paedophilia becomes percieved to be less deviant.

Umm :doh: ?

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Contraception encourages people to engage in sex when without it they would not. Obviously this is not the case for everyone, as unplanned pregnancy has always happened, but what the easy access to contraception does is encourage fornication where previously most would have avoided it (because of the repercussions, whether that be a child or an abortion).

First homosexuality leads to pedophilia and now contraception? You just jump right into the deep end of crazy, don't you?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

You must be a riot around elderly and infertile marrieds.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Pubescents can reproduce, for one thing, so it sounds like someone with your logic would be all over it, seeing as reproduction is all.

Recall what "Biblical marriage" was back in OT times, for example.

Upvote 0
First homosexuality leads to pedophilia and now contraception? You just jump right into the deep end of crazy, don't you?

The two are connected. The basis of sex is procreation (you don't still think it's down to storks do you?). When you systematically deny the basis of sex as procreation, you separate sex from the changes undergone in puberty (as the purpose of puberty is to make us fertile). When you separate sex from puberty, the way is opened to sexualised pre-pubescents - something we already increasingly see in advertising, marketing and movies.

I thought that atheists were fond of reason; try using it instead of making comments like "You just jump right into the deep end of crazy". ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The two are connected. The basis of sex is procreation (you don't still think it's down to storks do you?). When you systematically deny the basis of sex as procreation, you separate sex from the changes undergone in puberty (as the purpose of puberty is to make us fertile). When you separate sex from puberty, the way is opened to sexualised pre-pubescents - something we already increasingly see in advertising, marketing and movies.
We have danced this dance before. But if you wish to have another go, I guess I can oblige.

Sex serves multiple purposes for humans. Procreation is not the primary reason we have sex. Were that the case then women would show signs when they were ready to get pregnant. Humans spend a whole lot of time and resources having sex when there is no chance of the female conceiving, even before we add in birth control. Why is that?

I thought that atheists were fond of reason; try using it instead of making comments like "You just jump right into the deep end of crazy". ;)
I have reason in my toolbox. But reason can be a subtle thing. Sometimes a hammer is required.

Upvote 0
Sex serves multiple purposes for humans.

Yes, it does. No one has denied that.

Procreation is not the primary reason we have sex. Were that the case then women would show signs when they were ready to get pregnant.

The essence of sex is procreation. Without procreation, sex would not exist. And human have no "season"; we are able to reproduce throughout the year.

Humans spend a whole lot of time and resources having sex when there is no chance of the female conceiving, even before we add in birth control. Why is that?

Are you suggesting that the "Rhythm method" actually works? :eek: We all know that it is pretty damn useless as a form of contraception. As for people expending time and resources....no small part of that today is plummeting sperm counts. The human race has NEVER had a problem reproducing; large familes are the historical norm across the world.

I have reason in my toolbox. But reason can be a subtle thing. Sometimes a hammer is required.

Your fondness for the hammer is probably part of your problem here. Put it away and use reason instead.

So, can you please show the fault in my reasoning that:

* The basis of sex is procreation.
* When you systematically deny the basis of sex as procreation, you separate sex from the changes undergone in puberty (as the purpose of puberty is to make us fertile).
* When you separate sex from puberty, the way is opened to sexualised pre-pubescents.

We've already seen how the basis of sex is procreation. Can you show how the next points do not follow on?

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Nor have I. I mean, I know anatomy differs slightly from guy to guy, but, I just can't understand how a condom can "slip off"? I have trouble getting them off myself, and have never even come close to having one just slip off. I'm sure that the vast majority of condom failures are a result of stupidity - like using the one you've had in your wallet for three years and expecting it to still be functional, etc.

To be fair, I have had two condoms rip on me. I would think that I am well knowledgeable about their proper use (in part due to a strong comprehensive sex-ed course in my high school which very strongly encouraged condom use) and exercised it near perfectly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.