Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To stay away from things which are dangerous to our well-being is no sacrifice, it is a privilege! :)

I found the following article interesting:

"Let’s Celebrate Temperance

T is for Temperance, the balance in life.
[...]
Scientific evidence and public health statistics show both alcohol and tobacco to be leading killers in the world today, so remember Paul’s counsel in Scripture: “Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Cor. 10:31). Paul fortunately adds the secret of power and success: “I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Phil. 4:13)."

source: http://www.adventistreview.org/1608-24

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's always been interesting to me the use of the words temperance vs abstinence. Temperance is to use/do judicially and wisely whereas abstinence is the prohibition of using or doing something. I believe much of what is spoken of by sister White and others really should be phrased using abstinence instead of temperance. The advice given on diet was never meant as a determination of fellowship, let alone salvation and each has to believe as he/she reads in scripture and is lead by the Spirit. The case for vegetarianism can be inferred but is not very clear in scripture and there is not enough evidence to place a thus saith the Lord on the matter. The fact that Jesus ate fish and meat and never renounced it is a big example of this ambiguity.

To your point above about alcohol being a leading killer is for those that abuse or do not treat it with temperance. Science has confirmed what the Bible says about having a little wine... we know it is good for the cardiovascular system in small amounts and In the NT we read that it is good for the stomach.... the OT say that a little wine make the heart glad.

Let us prayerfully consider this as there are too many within our denomination that are zealots for their militaristic preaching of vegetarianism, even ascribing to it our very salvation.

Upvote 0