twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's a definition I came across. What do you think?

Legalism is seeking to achieve forgiveness from God and acceptance by God through obedience to God .
All false religions are built on the premise that you can earn forgiveness and the favor of God by what you do. What you have describes works salvation but not really legalism.

Legalism doesn't try to earn forgiveness because it doesn't think it needs it. It does try to earn the favor of God by acts of obedience. Legalism imposes rules on others that sets you up as judge. As I said in another thread it always has one of two results: it either robs you of all comfort because you can never do enough or it makes you self-righteous because you think you can.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMO Legalism implies, among other things, the attempt to back God into a corner by the use of some unspecificity in his own commands. An example being citing the Ten as reason that something short of the Ten is perfectly acceptable i.e." I only punched my enemy in the face I did not Murder him so it isn't a sin", " I can look at inappropriate contentography as much as I want as long as i do not actually cheat on my spouse it is not a sin.". Legalists can often be obsessed with what action might be called a sin or not rather than considering what their relationship with the Lord is like.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
All false religions are built on the premise that you can earn forgiveness and the favor of God by what you do. What you have describes works salvation but not really legalism.

Legalism doesn't try to earn forgiveness because it doesn't think it needs it. It does try to earn the favor of God by acts of obedience. Legalism imposes rules on others that sets you up as judge. As I said in another thread it always has one of two results: it either robs you of all comfort because you can never do enough or it makes you self-righteous because you think you can.

I think that's is covered in the "acceptance" part. But yes, I agree.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,316.00
Faith
Baptist
Here's a definition I came across. What do you think?

Legalism is seeking to achieve forgiveness from God and acceptance by God through obedience to God .

In theology, ‘legalism’ is the belief or attitude that we are justified before God through keeping the Law. The opposite and biblical teaching is that we are justified before God by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law.

Romans3:27. Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith.
28. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. (NASB, 1995)

Gal. 2:15. “We are Jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles;
16. nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.” (NASB, 1995)

Gal. 3:11. Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.” (NASB, 1995)

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Legalism is getting the cart before the horse, trying to work your way to Heaven.
Works are a natural by product of being saved. First comes the horse, then the cart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think Rick Warren is the poster child of modern baptist legalism with all his followers who are pastors preaching his theology. He is constantly telling people 3,4,5,6,7 steps to improve your life somehow, to think big, and telling you about God's dream for your life and if you don't see this in your life its because your not working on your own life. None of it points to the gospel. NONE of it.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
One point in legalism is the Leaders of a Church imposing their own standards of conduct,that is apart from God's Word.

When a member violates the self imposed standards of the leadership,they are condemned by a dichotomy of twisted theology that is extracted somewhere in the Bible.

In a Church where a gospel of convict and challenge is taught every service,one of 2 things will happen.

1 The Church membership will drop or stay small,due to the illogical unbiblical concepts that aretaught.

2 The Church becomes a enigma to everybody except a small group of zealots, and becomes a cult.

Legalism is demonic,it spews lies and accusations against Christianity.

Some examples: Jim Jones.

Westboro Baptist.

These are extreme but on a lesser level untold thousands of people are run out of Church by legalism.

I believe that legalism is a by product of Narrissism.

The Leader or Pastor has his favorites all scrambling around trying to earn favor, as well He has his scapegoats he enjoys embarrassing before the Church.

As well the leader will enjoy a do as I say not as I do reign of UN Godly acts.

They are relentless in their pursuits of torture all the while stating how very much they embody God's love.

They even cast spells:

Statements such as if you miss Church just because of your new boat God may just sink it.

Or I won't pray for his cancer cause God is taking him to the wood shed.

Legalism is demonic.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Legal is what belongs to Laws. We say is it Legal to file unmaaried staus. IT HAS TO DO WITH WHAT IS RIGHT BY THE LAW. Now, the law was usually an outter show of works in order to attain righteousness. The Pharisees...had their own sense of righteousness. And if they showed they kept it, I believe it made them feel better. So they may keep one law lol the one that is seen..but not others. Point is no one could keep the true law...except Jesus...he fulfilled the law...Now that Jesus has died and rose we are under a new law. But not after the flesh. IT'S A LAW with an inigma effect in a sense to me because....not necessarily because its by faith..but when our faith works through actions of love..its what's behind love...which allows people to change their hearts...and I believe only God can be seen in the heart when love knocks on someone's door...sorry I ramble. ..smile Point is legalisms kill..but the spirit gives life. By yourself you have not the power to save yourself.... We are commanded to Love. To love in one aspect is to seek the well being of others. Since the essence of love is, is God.....Ever wonder the significance of the law written on stone vs. The laws written on the heart?..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Could we include the maintaining of God's love and our salvation by keeping moralistic standards or pietistic acts? Such as the avoidance of alcohol and tobacco, using a certain English translation of the scriptures, etc.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can we include it as what ? Legalism?
It depends....
On what you believe:

If you believe we were imputed righteousness as Abraham..then you may believe we are to do those things because we have salvation. Just as if you had got interviewed for a cashier position..and now got the job...now you go to work and do the job of a cashier. AS we are to live according to our call.....
Yet:
If you believe you are apart of Gods justification and you helping him to save you by doing the things.or not doing those things you mentioned..then it part of legalism...

Because to yourself you say...what happens when you stop doing or not doing certain things?...

We have already been shown that we are weak...and cant keep the law...in order to be righteous....since it is by grace, God's favor...through faith we are saved.

Example you paying someone early to cut your lawn....He has the money...but has to cut the lawn..when he does he fulfills his duty..Remeber dirty and clean water should not run from the same faucet. We are made clean first...then good things flow from a clean heart.

There is a reason there is no fear in love and that perfect love cast out fear..for fear has to do with punishment........with this in mind I dont believe that we work works..by fear but through love...faith working through love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If you define "good" according to your own personal or cultural understanding and not scripture, it's a form of legalism. Especially if you think it makes you holy and therefore all other believes should meet the standard you set. Moralism and legalism are two sides of the same coin.

Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Could we include the maintaining of God's love and our salvation by keeping moralistic standards or pietistic acts? Such as the avoidance of alcohol and tobacco, using a certain English translation of the scriptures, etc.

We could as well include pseudo sincerity to every topic,or a trite agenda.

Upvote 0