NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is a forth member of our Godhead and that is our Mother in Heaven, in the Old Testament she is known as Shadday. She gave blessings of the womb.

Gen 49
25 Even by the El of thy father, who shall help thee; and by Shadday, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:

Over the years El and Shadday were forgotten and sadly labeled pagan.

We worship the Gods which Adam and all the other prophets of the Old Testament worshiped. We worship the God and Father of Jesus, the one he commanded us to worship.

Mormons believe that Heavenly Mother is a member of the Godhead? Where is that taught?

Also, are you saying that you worship more than one God (by your statement that you worship "the Gods which Adam and all the other prophets of the Old Testament worshiped")?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mormons believe that Heavenly Mother is a member of the Godhead? Where is that taught?

Gen 1
And the Gods said let us make mankind in our image and after our likeness...so after the image of the Gods created he them, male and female created he them.

I know you have been taught not to take that part of the Bible literally but we do. God does have gender, he is a he.

Im writing this on my phone and cant get to my notes, im sorry. Up until about 600 bc Isreal worshipped Shadday as a mother goddess, her symbole was in the temple. You will read the word Shadday as Mighty or God Almighty. she was the God who blessed the womb. Naomi speaks of her when she liments the loss of her sons with no grand children.

But she became an object of idolatry, being worshipped in the groves by many. There was a rewrite of much of the old testament and she was lost to the knowledge of mankind. The Father El, Yahweh and Shadday became the one god known as Yawhah. The Jews had married a strange god. See Mal 2.

She is now part of the Gospel restored, we have a Mother in heaven and She is at one with the Father.

Also, are you saying that you worship more than one God (by your statement that you

Also, are you saying that you worship more than one God (by your statement that you worship "the Gods which Adam and all the other prophets of the Old Testament worshiped")?

worship "the Gods which Adam and all the other prophets of the Old Testament worshiped")?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the word worship needs to be understood, it means to bow the knee. When I pray I say "my Heavenly Father....in the name of Jesus Christ" I am recognizing and honoring the Father as the supreme being and Jesus as the mediator between the Father and myself. Jesus said the Father is greater than himself, he can do nothing without the Father. Without the Father Jesus is not. In that sense I worship one God. But the Father anointed the Son as God (see Heb 2) and command all to worship him. If I don't worship the Son who the Father sent then I don't truly worship the Father. So in that sense I worship two Gods. We also worship the Holy Spirit as another Son of the Father, whose calling is to testify of Jesus. The three make up one Godhead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think the word worship needs to be understood, it means to bow the knee. When I pray I say "my Heavenly Father....in the name of Jesus Christ" I am recognizing and honoring the Father as the supreme being and Jesus as the mediator between the Father and myself. Jesus said the Father is greater than himself, he can do nothing without the Father. Without the Father Jesus is not. In that sense I worship one God. But the Father anointed the Son as God (see Heb 2) and command all to worship him. If I don't worship the Son who the Father sent then I don't truly worship the Father. So in that sense I worship two Gods. We also worship the Holy Spirit as another Son of the Father, whose calling is to testify of Jesus. The three make up one Godhead.

What I was getting at was, is there any reference from the Mormon church that Heavenly Mother is a member of the Godhead? Or is that just your personal view?

If she is, then I guess it isn't just "the three" that "make up one Godhead", but also her, making four.

So the Father is the Supreme Being, meaning, Jesus is not the Supreme Being?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hint: LDS believe this. There is only ONE God.

There are multiple persons in God, and a person may become one with God, but there is only one God.

No, your church in book of Abraham teaches that there is council of Gods or is that no longer scripture to you all? Technology you all are know as henotheist which worships only one of those Gods(The Father of this planet) and believes that others exist and in your system of belief those Gods have their own planets. Also, that you all are gods in embryo. Who one day will be exhaulted into full godhood and rule your own planet --- that is, if you belong to the Utah branch, sect. If you are RLDS, then you should list that as your religion for simplicity sake.

A true monothesist teaches that there is only one God in existence, which is what the Isaiah texts teach as does Deut 6:4, "one God".

Big Difference.

Have a Great Day and nice to meet you,
Daniel

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In context, Jesus was speaking as a man during his incarnation, see Phil 2. Also, that relates to voluntary authority within the godhead. See Acts 1 as an example.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
No, your church in book of Abraham teaches that there is council of Gods or is that no longer scripture to you all?
Our English language lacks the proper noun class of multiple individuals who are ONE. Hence, sometimes when the persons within God are talking amongst themselves, it gets renders as plural as a best approximation. Another example of this is Gen 1:26.
There is no legimate translation of Genesis 1 that says, "The Gods"
False. Looking just as Gen 1:26 (for a quick example), 22/22 Bible versions on BibleHub list this as plural.
your church made that translation up to support your beliefs.
The "Mormon" Bible is the KJV.
Technology you all are know as henotheist which worships only one of those Gods(The Father of this planet) and believes that others exist and in your system of belief those Gods have their own planets.
1) Nothing you're talking about here in regards to "planets" is official LDS belief. Rather it is speculation which an LDS person can actively disbelief and be 100% in good standing.
2) **If** these speculations are true, then these other persons who all be ONE God. The term "henotheism" refers to one God among a pantheon of competing Gods does not accurately describe such a system.
Also, that you all are gods in embryo. Who one day will be exhaulted into full godhood and rule your own planet --- that is, if you belong to the Utah branch, sect.
I already talked about our potential to become ONE with God and be like Him. If you want some official essay on this, I again recommend this one: Becoming Like God
If you are RLDS, then you should list that as your religion for simplicity sake.
There is no RLDS church. Rather, the RLDS church changed their beliefs and names to "Community of Christ" 16 years ago.

You attempts to "inform" me what I believe is lacking and horrible out of date.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our English language lacks the proper noun class of multiple individuals who are ONE. Hence, sometimes when the persons within God are talking amongst themselves, it gets renders as plural as a best approximation. Another example of this is Gen 1:26.

False. Looking just as Gen 1:26 (for a quick example), 22/22 Bible versions on BibleHub list this as plural.

I just looked at Bible Hub, Genesis 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." not one translates as "Gods" they all say, "God said"

The "Mormon" Bible is the KJV.

1) Nothing you're talking about here in regards to "planets" is official LDS belief. Rather it is speculation which an LDS person can actively disbelief and be 100% in good standing.
2) **If** these speculations are true, then these other persons who all be ONE God. The term "henotheism" refers to one God among a pantheon of competing Gods does not accurately describe such a system.

In the definition of henotheism there is nothing that says, "one God among a pantheon of competing Gods"

I already talked about our potential to become ONE with God and be like Him. If you want some official essay on this, I again recommend this one: Becoming Like God

There is no RLDS church. Rather, the RLDS church changed their beliefs and names to "Community of Christ" 16 years ago.
I am aware they changed their name, I simply could not remember what it was. What about the many other LDS sects?
As for "Becoming like God" please start that as a new thread.

You attempts to "inform" me what I believe is lacking and horrible out of date.

I will start a new thread with quotes from LDS Prophets and leaders about becoming a god.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
The words "us" and "our" are singular?
I am aware they changed their name, I simply could not remember what it was. What about the many other LDS sects?
There is only one Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Groups which break away and teach different doctrines are obviously not part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In the definition of henotheism there is nothing that says, "one God among a pantheon of competing Gods"
Hint: LDS believe the Father/Son/Spirit are three persons in ONE God, just as you do (assuming you're a Trinitarian). There is difference on the views of how this oneness is achieved, but we still both believe in ONE God in multiple persons. And no, starting a new thread doesn't suddenly change that.
As for "Becoming like God" please start that as a new thread.
You're the one who brought it up. If you wish to start a new thread, feel free to. I am not allowed to start new threads here.
I will start a new thread with quotes from LDS Prophets and leaders about becoming a god.
Aka, the exact same thing we were just taking about. Be sure to include the Bible verses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums