LDS D&C 130:22 --> Jesus can't indwell us!

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
D&C 130:22
The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

• The Holy Spirit is not Flesh and Bones or He COULD NOT INDWELL US.
  • Jesus, the Son, is flesh and bones...
  • Therefore... (the conclusion must be)...Jesus can not indwell us,

=============

Yet the BIBLE
says Christ indwells the believer.

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the Life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Ephesians 3:14-17
"For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from Whom the whole Family in Heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith...".

Colossians 1:27
"To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Colossians 3:9-11
"Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the Image of Him Who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all."

========

D&C contradicts the Bible on the indwelling of Christ!

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was looking for a Canonized Bible verse in which Jesus speaks describing the Father (physical or spiritual) to at least counter Smith's description. I couldn't find one from Christ in Canon.

In the non Canonized scriptures, Jesus goes to great lengths, especially in Secret John. Whether one accepts it or not is up to them. I find it to be more in line as truth for me.

"He is immeasurable light, which is pure, holy (and) immaculate. He is ineffable, being perfect in incorruptibility."

And

"He is not corporeal nor is he incorporeal. He is neither large nor is he small. There is no way to say, 'What is his quantity?' or, 'What is his quality?', for no one can know him."

"He is not someone among (other) beings, rather he is far superior. Not that he is (simply) superior, but his essence does not partake in the aeons nor in time. For he who partakes in an aeon was prepared beforehand. Time was not apportioned to him, since he does not receive anything from another, for it would be received on loan."

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So is Christ flesh and bone or light?

D&C 84:45

45 For the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

word of the Lord = truth = light = Spirit = Spirit of Jesus Christ

Seems like this is a reference to the Holy Spirit, no flesh and bones Jesus

John 1:9
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Jesus came in flesh and bones. So are his flesh and bones in every man.

It is the logic lever that is askew.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So is Christ flesh and bone or light?
Christ is spirit/light/truth, housed in flesh and bone. I have provided supporting references for all these points in this thread.
word of the Lord = truth = light = Spirit = Spirit of Jesus Christ

Seems like this is a reference to the Holy Spirit, no flesh and bones Jesus
The scripture is self-explanatory, and speaks of no one other than Christ.

Jesus came in flesh and bones. So are his flesh and bones in every man.
Did you read the supporting references? If so, did you not take note of the part that says "the Spirit [Jesus Christ] giveth light to every man..."? It does not say "Jesus' flesh and bones give light to every man..."
It is the logic lever that is askew.
I believe what is askew here is your interpretation of the materials provided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So Jesus is divided:
  • flesh and bone
  • light

I believe what is askew here is your interpretation of the materials provided.

I believe what is askew here is your interpretation.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So Jesus is divided:
  • flesh and bone
  • light
No, sir. In the same section (D&C 93), it is revealed that flesh and spirit are not "divided" or "at odds," but that when they are inseparably connected, one may possess a fulness of joy. (vs. 33-35)

I believe what is askew here is your interpretation.
The soundness of my interpretations are self-evident to anyone who actually reads the material I reference. It takes real effort to misunderstand the scriptures I've cited.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormonism rejects John 14:23.

John 14:23—The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.
Doctrine and Covenants 130:3

The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit, which allows Him to dwell in our hearts and communicate directly with our spirits.
Gerald N. Lund, Opening Our Hearts to the Spirit, Ensign, May 2008

Elder David A. Bednar noted the use of the word unto: “Please notice how the power of the Spirit carries the message unto but not necessarily into the heart. … Ultimately, … the content of a message and the witness of the Holy Ghost penetrate into the heart only if a receiver allows them to enter.” 12

Why just unto the heart? Individual agency is so sacred that Heavenly Father will never force the human heart, even with all His infinite power.
Gerald N. Lund, Opening Our Hearts to the Spirit, Ensign, May 2008

Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
Doctrine and Covenants 8:2

"This man here, another one over there, and a man over in England, are confirmed members of the Church. The question arises, ‘How can the Holy Ghost be with them all at the same time?’ He does not have to be, but the power of the Holy Ghost is such that it can be manifest in every place at the same moment of time…. Thus when it becomes necessary to speak to us, he is able to do so by acting through the other Spirit, that is, through the Light of Christ."
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:38, 40

So the LDS Holy Ghost could actually have a body of flesh and bones because he isn't really going to dwell in all those hearts. That being the case, what is the objection to the Father and Son dwelling in someone's heart?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You may attempt to prove it untrue through clear exposition, as I have proven it true through clear exposition. Otherwise, your retort is just your opinion.

The soundness of my interpretations are self-evident to anyone who actually reads the material I reference.

This is your opinion stated as fact. I do not presume your infallibility.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This is your opinion stated as fact. I do not presume your infallibility.
I don't have to be infallible to accurately extract the meaning from a verse of scripture. The meaning of some scriptures is more difficult to discern than others; this is true. But the ones I've cited are clear, and do not require that one be God in order to discern their immediate meaning.

Again, any disagreement you may have with the conclusions I've drawn, you are free to contest—by analysis and explanation of the same scriptural verses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up and is being reopened. Please stay on topic and please do not discuss staff actions. There were also some Flaming going on in the thread and that is also not allowed. Before posting again take a moment to review the Board Rules

Documentation of thread clean up is HERE for staff only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0

southcountry

Feb 14, 2013
✟15,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Smith was right, in a way. Although I wouldnt call it a urim and thummim, all material does dwell in the sea of glass before Gods throne.

While I find it interesting that Joseph may have realized this, Im more troubled that he didnt go on to explain what happens to this great "urim and thummim". Did he realize that it was to turn into the lake of fire and be removed?

Upvote 0