lcms and wels diffs?

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LOL, you have to ask, Rad?:whistle: He's talking about you and me! It seems the Revrand thinks that I should have been a loyal parisioner and stayed with the Congregation in Redding. It seems I should have put up with the Ablaze programme and lousy imitations of reformed/Pentecostal music performances during services. I should, I guess, have put up with empty, weak, feel-good sermons that had nothing at all to do with Lutheran doctrine and theology. Not to mention "Creative Worship".:aarh: What good would it have done to complain to the district office when they encourage this kind of thing? Look what a clown our District President has proved to be? So, my leaving and complaining about how the Synod has gone to Hell in a handbasket is, I suppose, not cool. Give... me... a... break!:comeon: I suppose it would have been better to drive to Eureka, or possibly Ferndale (a hundred-fifty miles) or maybe to Chico (around a hundred miles ONE WAY) instead?

I find that if one doesn't do laundry for long periods of time it produces a bad odour. The LCMS didn't properly do their dirty laundry and thirty years is too long to wait. The odour here in Redding was suffocating.

Am I bitter about this? You bet! Am I going to shut up about it? Don't hold your breath!;)

This just shows how little you know. This is all your type knows how to do; stand outside and throw stones. If it wasn't so sad, it would be hilarious.

Reactions: ContraMundum
Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying he didn't know what was going on in his own church?

No. It shows how little he knows about me and my intentions. He jumps to a conclusion and then proceeds to bash me for it. It seems to be a pattern here the last few days. Hopefully the moon phase will change or whatever it is that is making people act so ridiculous.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh - well that makes sense. Just call me 'clarification seeker.' :cool:

I want it to be known that I don't hold anything against Stude, or Rad for that matter, because of the issues within their congregations that led them to leave. If there are no other options, one needs to do what one must do. But don't stand outside and throw rocks and insults at the rest of us. It's not only not fair, but is rather juvenile. There are many of us that are feverishly working on precipitating the necessary changes to turn our synod back around. But it takes time. We made a huge step forward at the convention this year by changing the administration. We now have a pastor instead of a politician as the head of the synod. I just hope that the "outsiders" don't rail on him because things aren't moving quick enough to suit them. It took a long time for the synod to get into this mess, and it will take some time to get out of it. But we are moving in a good direction. Praise be to God!

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I want it to be known that I don't hold anything against Stude, or Rad for that matter, because of the issues within their congregations that led them to leave. If there are no other options, one needs to do what one must do. But don't stand outside and throw rocks and insults at the rest of us. It's not only not fair, but is rather juvenile. There are many of us that are feverishly working on precipitating the necessary changes to turn our synod back around. But it takes time. We made a huge step forward at the convention this year by changing the administration. We now have a pastor instead of a politician as the head of the synod. I just hope that the "outsiders" don't rail on him because things aren't moving quick enough to suit them. It took a long time for the synod to get into this mess, and it will take some time to get out of it. But we are moving in a good direction. Praise be to God!

This is a great post. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. It shows how little he knows about me and my intentions. He jumps to a conclusion and then proceeds to bash me for it. It seems to be a pattern here the last few days. Hopefully the moon phase will change or whatever it is that is making people act so ridiculous.

I didn't see YOU or YOUR INTENTIONS mentioned anywhere in Stude's post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think there has been a whole lot of miscommunication going on in this thread. People either need to quote what and who they are replying to or something so others don't jump to conclusions here and get so defensive.

It is easy to focus on our own situations and experiences, but we need to look at the big picture here too. There are going to be changes in the LCMS, that is a given especially with some of the things that were changed at convention. It is going to take time for any changes, either those decided on at convention or anything else since we also have a new President. I have heard President Harrison say that these changes are going to take time, not to expect it to happen overnight.

I would suggest that those who are fed up with Synod to pray for the Synod. Many of the things that are concerns had begun before such programs as Ablaze. Ablaze is a symptom, not a cause.

Now I hope we can get back to the topic that this thread was created for or is that one been exhausted now.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
It is encouraging that DaRev says that "There are many of us that are feverishly working on precipitating the necessary changes to turn our synod back around."

But looking back on it, could it not be "the hesitancy to exercise internal discipline when error surfaces," is the root cause that has lead to the situation LCMS finds itself....and one of the fundamental differences between WELS ans LCMS?

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is encouraging that DaRev says that "There are many of us that are feverishly working on precipitating the necessary changes to turn our synod back around."

But looking back on it, could it not be "the hesitancy to exercise internal discipline when error surfaces," is the root cause that has lead to the situation LCMS finds itself....and one of the fundamental differences between WELS ans LCMS?

I don't know if I would call that the "root cause", but it is indeed a major problem. I wish I knew the answer to that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
dontmakemestopthiscar.png

MOD HAT ON

Play nice, please. Don't make me stop this ride.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I think there has been a whole lot of miscommunication going on in this thread. People either need to quote what and who they are replying to or something so others don't jump to conclusions here and get so defensive.

It is easy to focus on our own situations and experiences, but we need to look at the big picture here too. There are going to be changes in the LCMS, that is a given especially with some of the things that were changed at convention. It is going to take time for any changes, either those decided on at convention or anything else since we also have a new President. I have heard President Harrison say that these changes are going to take time, not to expect it to happen overnight.

I would suggest that those who are fed up with Synod to pray for the Synod. Many of the things that are concerns had begun before such programs as Ablaze. Ablaze is a symptom, not a cause.

Now I hope we can get back to the topic that this thread was created for or is that one been exhausted now.

Do you see these changes that you refering to of a nature that is addressing the main issue between LCMS and WELS .... fellowship and roles of women in the church?

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think we need to get our own house in order before talking about fellowship issues, don't you think? There were lots of structure changes approved at convention. There is division in our Synod. There has been for a long time. None of us on here has said anything else, we recognize it. There is a strong desire to come together in our Synod at this time. I believe that our new president will be good for our synod. As DaRev said, it will take a while to make the changes needed.

I could ask the same of you too. Do you see the WELS addressing issues of fellowship and roles of women that would make it possible to have fellowship with us? Discussing fellowship is a two way street.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I could ask the same of you too. Do you see the WELS addressing issues of fellowship and roles of women that would make it possible to have fellowship with us? Discussing fellowship is a two way street.

Not until such time that if the "structural" changes you're referencing were to include a different position of the once submitted LCMS report "Theology of Fellowship" to the Joint Union Committees in response to the 2 year Joint meetings (57-59).

There has been a long history of discussion between us (formal discussions between 1930-1960). I'm sure that informal discussions were present prior to 1930. But trying to keep this within the topic of our differences, it's really up to LCMS to agree to the 1872 confessionally sound federation of Lutheran synods that was founded.

I don't see WELS engaging if it is being asked to compromise the 1872 confessional federation statements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, then, TwinSpin, I guess this topic has been exhausted. I don't see either Synod doing what you are asking the LCMS to do.

I think his position is that the WELS is 100% correct in their position. But as we know there is no perfect church body on the planet.

Upvote 0