Laying on of hands?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It most often doesn't work today because it requires faith in Yahshua and being immersed in Him totally. (like when Yahshua could not do many miracles in some places, because of lack of faith. same thing today)

Oh, theirs a lot of counterfeits, and wanna-bes, but very rare ekklesia.

what the Bible teaches about this is not heard(by most), as there is a famine throughout the land of the hearing of the Word of Yhvh.(as it is written) (they have eyes, but cannot see, ears but cannot hear... it says somewhere something like that too).

oh, true, there may be a revival of truth in a few or even in many places; Yhvh knows.

but it(the truth) doesn't "fit in" with modern society, religious or medical or political .

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It most often doesn't work today because it requires faith in Yahshua and being immersed in Him totally. (like when Yahshua could not do many miracles in some places, because of lack of faith. same thing today)

Oh, theirs a lot of counterfeits, and wanna-bes, but very rare ekklesia.

what the Bible teaches about this is not heard(by most), as there is a famine throughout the land of the hearing of the Word of Yhvh.(as it is written) (they have eyes, but cannot see, ears but cannot hear... it says somewhere something like that too).

oh, true, there may be a revival of truth in a few or even in many places; Yhvh knows.

but it(the truth) doesn't "fit in" with modern society, religious or medical or political .

Ok, sounds like you have some thoughts to share. If you believe you have some understanding in this area please share it. And let he who has an ear to hear, hear it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
it is amazing how much in the last few decades 'fellowships' have _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ more and more.

I don't know the right word(s) to fill in the blanks.

But it is as written in Timothy I think...... will be back in a little while if possible.... Shalom

(simple, not complicated at all)

Upvote 0

FireWithin

It is well with my soul.
Sep 24, 2014
USA
✟15,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our hands are just a medium in which the Spirit of God moves, such as Paul's handkerchiefs and aprons. It's a practice which is still alive today, but only by the Spirit, through Spirit-filled men and women.

I want to say the origins began in the Upper Room in Acts. But I'm not 100% on that.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
okay, starting (and finishing for tonight?) slow --- only a few places out of very many places have practiced the laying on of hands. this is probably best as the ones who lay on of hands may take part in the sin(and guilt and punishment from Yhvh thereof) of any of the ones that they lay hands on. i.e. it is not to be done lightly.

this is different than immersion, which best was illustrated someplace in the south and west of the Pacific Ocean when a man of Yhvh visited: a large crowd of people greatly desired to be immersed in Yahshua's Name for repentance and remission of their sin,
and a few were immersed first, then THEY (the newly immersed) in turn immersed others in Yahshua's Name, and so on.

(a little like one day in France, when the man of Yhvh was commanded by the French authorities NOT TO LAY HANDS ON THE SICK (for their healing). TOO MANY had been healed in the previous week, and the authorities and doctors and priests in town didn't like it !!!!
anyhow, he simply told everyone to turn to his neighbor if they were sick and lay hands on them to be healed. everyone did so, and many were healed.)

both immersion in Yahshua's Name and
the laying on of hands to heal is different than laying on of hands to appoint someone with authority from Yhvh in Yahshua's Name for the ministry.

none of this is routinely practiced or taught in most places that I'm aware of, and there's a lot of life / responsibility/ knowledge/ wisdom/ and maturity (awkwardly like little children!!!)
in Yahshua HaMoshiach to grow in and into (HIS WAY, not man's schools !!!)
like a beautifully orchestrated heavenly chorus in harmony and union with ABBA and one another. (i.e. so many facets and gentle purposes in Yhvh , so many parts of the body to work harmoniously together effectively and as Yhvh gives growth.... ) that few ever get to see and learn. oh, they could, if they were would. nothing 'special' except willingness to do what Yhvh says, completely and joyfully and with abandon as His children and sent ones, having forsaken all sin and carnality and worldliness as He brings this to pass.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what the Bible teaches about laying on of hands. How does it work, what does it do, and when did it start? And if you have any other thoughts?

The way I've always understood hands, it's not meant to me some kind of magical behavior that transfers or imparts something to the person having hands laid on them. If that's the goal then the point has been missed completely.

Laying on of hands was essentially a sign of affirmation and endorsement in the first century Jewish culture. If a rabbi had a new yoke (set of interpretations of the Torah) the Jewish customs dictated that two other established rabbis would endorse that rabbis yoke by laying their hands on him and "sending him off". We see this in Jesus case where John the Baptist was the first to endorse him and then God himself (by sending the dove). Both cases happening at Christ's baptism.

So with that in mind, I've always seen the laying on of hands through that lens. That is, it's a commissioning, an endorsement. Usually for someone entering into a ministry or mission field of some sort.

Anything else would be a misuse IMHO.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost." Acts 9

There are many patterns that were established in the OT. In the tabernacle, the high priest offered for themselves first and then the people. Heb 9:7

"Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure." I Tim 5:22

Nothing magical.

There are several churches that are non-denominational in our area that "lay hands on" when directed by The Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
okay, starting (and finishing for tonight?) slow --- only a few places out of very many places have practiced the laying on of hands. this is probably best as the ones who lay on of hands may take part in the sin(and guilt and punishment from Yhvh thereof) of any of the ones that they lay hands on. i.e. it is not to be done lightly.

this is different than immersion, which best was illustrated someplace in the south and west of the Pacific Ocean when a man of Yhvh visited: a large crowd of people greatly desired to be immersed in Yahshua's Name for repentance and remission of their sin,
and a few were immersed first, then THEY (the newly immersed) in turn immersed others in Yahshua's Name, and so on.

(a little like one day in France, when the man of Yhvh was commanded by the French authorities NOT TO LAY HANDS ON THE SICK (for their healing). TOO MANY had been healed in the previous week, and the authorities and doctors and priests in town didn't like it !!!!
anyhow, he simply told everyone to turn to his neighbor if they were sick and lay hands on them to be healed. everyone did so, and many were healed.)

both immersion in Yahshua's Name and
the laying on of hands to heal is different than laying on of hands to appoint someone with authority from Yhvh in Yahshua's Name for the ministry.

none of this is routinely practiced or taught in most places that I'm aware of, and there's a lot of life / responsibility/ knowledge/ wisdom/ and maturity (awkwardly like little children!!!)
in Yahshua HaMoshiach to grow in and into (HIS WAY, not man's schools !!!)
like a beautifully orchestrated heavenly chorus in harmony and union with ABBA and one another. (i.e. so many facets and gentle purposes in Yhvh , so many parts of the body to work harmoniously together effectively and as Yhvh gives growth.... ) that few ever get to see and learn. oh, they could, if they were would. nothing 'special' except willingness to do what Yhvh says, completely and joyfully and with abandon as His children and sent ones, having forsaken all sin and carnality and worldliness as He brings this to pass.

These are some interesting thoughts. I do agree that churches do accept people into positions of authority without the call of God on them. And as such I see why you would say that the laying on of hands could be bad in that area. Because endorsing someone in this way would make you a partaker of their sins.

I also noticed you spoke of the act of laying on of hands for the purpose of endorsing someone as being different from that of healing. I assume you mean baptism when you speak of immersion by the way.

Do you have more to say on the matter of laying on of hands for the purpose of healing and things of that nature?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
John the Immerser and the disciples of Jesus immersed others and that didn't change until , well, never. People who are not disciples introduced other things later. By then, of course, they had lost all power and authority except that from men, so the laying on of hands served no true purpose and was 'lost' along with the other practices of ekklesia in the life of Yahshua.(like healing)

oh, healing may continue right up to today(unofficially), but is actually illegal in france since smith wigglesworth healed too many people and they passed laws against laying hands on anyone to heal them. that was what, a century ago, and may or may not be permitted today, if anyone is still able to find a man of God appointed by God for that purpose.

it's not legal to heal in some ways in the usa either. (surprised!? like other laws people today aren't even remotely aware of, that have been on the books officially since before their parents were born in some cases). anyway, a lot of them don't even expect people to be healed, not knowing Scripture.

• Informative
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what the Bible teaches about laying on of hands. How does it work, what does it do, and when did it start? And if you have any other thoughts?

Has God ever sat in heaven and clicked his fingers and miracles happened on earth? Everything I've read shows he does it through men filled with his Spirit.

Laying of hands is officially a doctrine for ministers of Christ. It's strictly for those who Jesus put in the ministry.

With the laying of hands, God can impart a blessing to a person who does not have the Holy Spirit. I have not seen one instance in the bible of the laying of hands on a Spirit filled believer for healing. It's always been for the salvation of the lost. (Please correct me if you have a bible verse showing otherwise.)

You can lay hands on someone to persecute them or rebuke them, which would make you a partaker of their sins, which obviously is not the doctrine of Christ. Or you can lay hands to give the Holy Spirit, or to heal the sick.

These were signs that followed the Apostles. As with the other gifts of the Spirit, I think laying of hands is mostly a sham these days. People imitating what had been done to no effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

retlaw

Dec 2, 2010
✟8,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the laying on of hands is a symbolic gesture showing we care enough to touch the person and empathize with them. I also think it signifies our faith that God will help them. The power of healing lies with God not us, so we can lay on hands or not, or for that matter God might just decide to heal someone of his own volition.

Keep in mind everyone Jesus ever healed died eventually anyway. The only true healing is via sanctification and resurrection. Everything else is just putting a band-aid on.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have seen hands laid on people for prayer for many things, I have seen hands laid on people and they received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues, I have seen hands laid on people and they were healed 100%. Laying on of hands are found through out the NT.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the reasons I asked about this is because it seems to be a topic that many believe in but somehow has a feeling of magic to it. In other words people know little more than what they have heard or seen with little scripture to support their beliefs. It is a shocking thing since this is said to be a foundational doctrine by the Bible.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not seen one instance in the bible of the laying of hands on a Spirit filled believer for healing. It's always been for the salvation of the lost. (Please correct me if you have a bible verse showing otherwise.)

KJV

Mark 5:23
Mark 6:5
Acts 28:8
Acts 9:17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KJV

Mark 5:23
Mark 6:5
Acts 28:8
Acts 9:17

Good try but no cigar. These were unsaved people who believed on Jesus and the word was confirmed with healing and deliverance. It proves my point that laying of hands is to save the sick, or impart the Holy Ghost to save those who believe.

Just because people lay hands for all sorts of reasons does not change the doctrine.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's a couple more

Impartation or assocation or whatever title - it's there:

"Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands." II Tim 1:6

"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." I Tim 4:14

For ministry: "And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away." Acts 13:3

For ministry: Acts 6 - "Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them."

For blessing: " And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them." Mark 10:14

Caution: 1 Timothy 5:22 -" Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure."

Last edited:
Reactions: dragongunner
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good try but no cigar. These were unsaved people who believed on Jesus and the word was confirmed with healing and deliverance. It proves my point that laying of hands is to save the sick, or impart the Holy Ghost to save those who believe.

Just because people lay hands for all sorts of reasons does not change the doctrine.

Actually he does win a cigar….not sure of your doctrine but might want to read up. The saved do lay hands on the saved for different reasons, as directed by the Holy Spirit.

Laying on of hands

Upvote 0