Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that believers shouldn't be concerned with what the world says about them.

I think we should turn the other cheek, not take anyone to court over slander.

I think we should count it all joy when we face persecution.

I think that it would be nice if preachers started practicing what they are (or should be) preaching.

I think that humiliation is something that should be pretty much impossible to do to a Christian "leader."

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus’ disciples should have sued the Jewish Sanhedrin and the Roman government for humiliating Christ.

Still, the flesh in me hopes Price wins his case and smashes20/20. But the spirit in me says something else about forgiving those who despitefully use you and persecute you.

I guess there is a time to be harmless as a dove and a time to be as wise as a serpent. Jesus said, “Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves” Matt. 10.16.

~Anne Teak

War never decides who is right, only who is left.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus’ disciples should have sued the Jewish Sanhedrin and the Roman government for humiliating Christ.

Still, the flesh in me hopes Price wins his case and smashes20/20. But the spirit in me says something else about forgiving those who despitefully use you and persecute you.

I guess there is a time to be harmless as a dove and a time to be as wise as a serpent. Jesus said, “Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves” Matt. 10.16.

~Anne Teak

So then Price can give 'em a good scare and then back out. Maybe then the news media will think twice the next time they do a report on somebody using only bits and pieces of a persons comments in order to portray that person in a bad light.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So then Price can give 'em a good scare and then back out. Maybe then the news media will think twice the next time they do a report on somebody using only bits and pieces of a persons comments in order to portray that person in a bad light.
We are not talking about an individual who slandered another individual. We are talking about a news giant that is trying to use it's power to make money at the expense of truth.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
We are not talking about an individual who slandered another individual. We are talking about a news giant that is trying to use it's power to make money at the expense of truth.

I understand that. I was responding to Jims post. Even with the news giant if Price decided at the last minute with "forgiveness" and not take it any further at least the "giant" would know that he could have taken it to the full extent...ending with much more than possibly someone just losing their job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the sake of justice and what is right...20/20 should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for the criminal act of defamation of character. (AKA - bearing false witness)
Defemation of character? Funny, WWJD comes to mind.

And Jesus never ever addressed the fact that Judas was stealing from the purse. And yet inspite of all the injustices, Jesus still fulfilled his destiny. In fact, it was these "injustices" that were a necessary and integral part of his journey in order for him to fulfill that destiny.

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

~Anne Teak

I agree, shocking I know.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Defemation of character? Funny, WWJD comes to mind.

And Jesus never ever addressed the fact that Judas was stealing from the purse. And yet inspite of all the injustices, Jesus still fulfilled his destiny. In fact, it was these "injustices" that were a necessary and integral part of his journey in order for him to fulfill that destiny.

Jesus also with intent and purpose set down.

Made a whip.

Used it on people in the temple.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Which had nothing to do with a personal slight or the media giving him a bad rap.

There was no media and he did take it personally.

Besides, what is this.

A Pirate King with a soft attitude?;)

Should your fellow pirates learn of this they may invite you for a walk on Plank Blvd.:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I read this article on Fred Price suing ABC/Disney and thought it would make a good topic.
ABC retracted their story and apologized but Price says "That's not enough" What do you think.

Just like a wealthy pulpiteer ... forgiveness is only for them - all others shouldn't have it .
SO , he wasn't *as* wealthy as they reported - how awful .

When he stated "that is not enough" , he was also thinking of his bank accounts .

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
For the sake of justice and what is right...20/20 should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for the criminal act of defamation of character. (AKA - bearing false witness)

icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry twiggy, but defamation of character is NOT a criminal offense. It's a civil matter.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the responses to this thread. Who would have thunk that the lawyer would be the least litigious one here?

Anywho... I personally don't see how Christ's instructions to us to turn the other cheek, to bless those who spitefully use us, etc, square at all with suing someone for slander.

I also don't think that Christians should generally be in the business of actively suing someone in order to defend their own reputations. We, IMHO, shouldn't be putting so much stock in ourselves. Let our names be mud... that way God gets the glory for anything good that happens.

JMHO.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Scripture says that we are not to sue "each other". As in believer against believer. It does not say that a believer cannot defend themselves against evil done to them by an unbeliever.

In Esther, the Jews were not left to just allowing their enemies to attack without being allowed to attack back. At one point I believe even Paul played his Roman citizenship card and was quickly released.
I don't believe scripture denies us the use of the laws of the land when it is necessary.

I know this is technicalities. I think we need to be in tune with the Holy Spirit and seek His council as to what to do in any given situation.
Our actions should be God serving not self serving.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry twiggy, but defamation of character is NOT a criminal offense. It's a civil matter.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the responses to this thread. Who would have thunk that the lawyer would be the least litigious one here?

Anywho... I personally don't see how Christ's instructions to us to turn the other cheek, to bless those who spitefully use us, etc, square at all with suing someone for slander.

I also don't think that Christians should generally be in the business of actively suing someone in order to defend their own reputations. We, IMHO, shouldn't be putting so much stock in ourselves. Let our names be mud... that way God gets the glory for anything good that happens.

JMHO.

An interesting thought here is that it's not only unbelievers that are running names though the mud. I don't really know 'cause I tend to not participate in those types of threads but I wonder how many threads here were started based on that TV show and other believers participated in the slander.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Scripture says that we are not to sue "each other". As in believer against believer. It does not say that a believer cannot defend themselves against evil done to them by an unbeliever.

There is a big difference between defending oneself and bringing a lawsuit against someone. That is why the person who files a lawsuit is called a plaintiff and the person they are suing is called a defendant.

A defamation suit isn't about defending oneself. A defamation suit is about collecting money from someone who told lies about you which caused you to suffer monetary damages. It is meant to compensate someone for damage done to their reputation (like being unable to get a job, etc), it does not defend them against the attack to their reputation.

Defending oneself in such a case would be getting the slanderer to publish a retraction. That has already been done in this case.

Now the preacher is seeking revenge. A pound of flesh in the form of mullah.

In Esther, the Jews were not left to just allowing their enemies to attack without being allowed to attack back. At one point I believe even Paul played his Roman citizenship card and was quickly released.
I don't believe scripture denies us the use of the laws of the land when it is necessary.

In Esther the Jews were defending their lives, not their reputations. You know as well as I that there is an enormous difference between the two.

Paul using his Roman citizenship to get out of jail is also dissimilar to the present circumstance. He was not getting revenge against anyone by doing so. He didn't seek to have the jailers fired, or pay him money for what they did to him. He simply exercised his rights. His situation was akin to an American demanding an attorney when charged with a crime.

I know this is technicalities. I think we need to be in tune with the Holy Spirit and seek His council as to what to do in any given situation.

Agreed. I just happen to think that Scripture really does address this issue for us. And the Holy Spirit will not contradict what Jesus has already told us.

If someone says something bad about us, Jesus told us to bless them, not to seek redress in the courts.

I'm seriously disheartened by the attitude of so many Christians in such situations. Love doesn't seek it's own. Love doesn't keep count of wrongs.

We are told to forgive.
Jesus said if someone slaps you in the face to offer the other cheek.

And what harm did 20/20 really do to the guy? What did it hurt? His pride, nothing more.

Also, I think that if someone is telling lies about us, we should trust in God to vindicate us and to avenge us.

I just find it sad that Christians are so quick to fight back when treated badly. How is that different than what the world does? Even the heathens love those who love them. We're different (supposedly) because we love those who hate us.

:sigh: I'm not trying to set a rule about believers never standing up for what is right. I just thing that standing up for "ourselves" is not "right".

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7 but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
(Philippians 2:5-8)

If a man has the attitude of Christ (i.e. making himself nothing) will he care that his name or reputation is slandered? How can someone who thinks himself "nothing" be humiliated by someone else?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.