Labor group to organize Wal-Mart workers.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Labor leaders from around the world will meet in Chicago next week to draft a plan to organize Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - News) workers in certain countries, including Brazil, Argentina, Germany and the United Kingdom, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

The newspaper said that devising a Wal-Mart strategy is a priority for the annual conference of the Union Network International, a federation based in Europe that represents more than 15 million workers in 100 countries.

UNI would not identify the countries to be targeted, but said it would focus on those where high percentages of the work force are unionized, which likely would include Brazil, the Journal said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050818/retail_walmart_labor.html?.v=1

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Contrary to popular opinion, Wal-Mart pays its retail workers what most other retail workers get paid. It offers health insurance and other benefits.

Unfortunately, retail work isn't a high-paid occupation, and the cost of providing health insurance is so high that most retail workers can't afford to pay the expected premium share, especially for family plans.

In countries where most retail workers are unionized, I would bet that Wal-Mart is already offering competitive wages and benefits, otherwise it couldn't staff its stores. But whether retail workers are unionized or non-union, they will never be highly compensated.

Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
The stores that get unionised will be the stores that close. Walmart's already done this several times. Viewing their propeganda spiel as a new hiree back in the day told me that the company is hugely anti-union. To the point of not tolerating it at all within it's ranks or holdings.

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fantine said:
Contrary to popular opinion, Wal-Mart pays its retail workers what most other retail workers get paid. It offers health insurance and other benefits.

Unfortunately, retail work isn't a high-paid occupation, and the cost of providing health insurance is so high that most retail workers can't afford to pay the expected premium share, especially for family plans.

In countries where most retail workers are unionized, I would bet that Wal-Mart is already offering competitive wages and benefits, otherwise it couldn't staff its stores. But whether retail workers are unionized or non-union, they will never be highly compensated.

Not completely true. You can make more money and have better benefits by working at a fast food restaurant. For part time employees I know at BK cause I used to manage there, they get paid over mininmum wage and can earn pay raises of more than a dollar an hour in the first 3 months depending on how proficient they become and want to test. They also can get health benefits in 6 months where its a year at Walmart. Those who own Walmart are Billionairs where the owners of Fast food chains are only millionairs or make a real good living but nothing close to what walmart makes. They can afford to pay more to their employees and give them better benefits.

You are absolutely right in saying that Walmart is anti Union because they want more money and don't want to share it with their employees.

-cw

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cameronw said:
Not completely true. You can make more money and have better benefits by working at a fast food restaurant. For part time employees I know at BK cause I used to manage there, they get paid over mininmum wage and can earn pay raises of more than a dollar an hour in the first 3 months depending on how proficient they become and want to test. They also can get health benefits in 6 months where its a year at Walmart. Those who own Walmart are Billionairs where the owners of Fast food chains are only millionairs or make a real good living but nothing close to what walmart makes. They can afford to pay more to their employees and give them better benefits.

I suppose you fail to see the irony in complaining about greed between these two comments, don't you?

You are absolutely right in saying that Walmart is anti Union because they want more money and don't want to share it with their employees.

-cw

Upvote 0