W

Wesley1982

I don't know exactly what Kosovo means. A first look says that its a capital city in a European country thats affected by war. Its not clear what Kosovo actually is ~ except to emanate some sort of pride in its nationality. Particularly, the Serbian people. It seems like the war was over a border dispute between two neighboring countries or the war was a civil one contained within the capital city/town of Kosovo itself. Could be a North/South thing

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
From what I know, it was a part of Serbia, but the Serbs were being cleansed out and under the Clinton administration, we sorta bombed the Serbs and gave that land to the Albanians. I know there's religious terrorism coming from Kosovo and Albania, and Serbs are usually Eastern Orthodox, so I was wondering what they say about this.

Kosovo and Albania are majority muslims.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Kosovo was historically a province with a majority of Eastern Orthodox people. Mainly slavs - Serbs and some Bulgarians way back in the Middle ages. However by the end of the XXth century the population was mainly Albanian with a Serbian minority and many important monasteries still standing there. The Serbian government started a campaign of repressions against the million+ Albanians and this triggered the NATO intervention. Sadly the Serbian government was the main cause of the independence of the province.

Usually Serbian nationalists portray Albanians as radical muslim terrorists which is not quite true. They are still a cause of instability in the region, but the reason is different. The Albanian conciousness puts the earthly nation above the religious affiliation. They are a melting pot of muslims, christians and even a sect which mixes both and all are united in the doctrine of forging a Greater Albania as a national idea. They also have an extremely high birthrate contrary to the dwindling populations of Orthodox christians. Sadly, being the nationalists they are, they will continue to cause conflict in the Balkans. Right below Serbia in another country - Macedonia, a third of the population there is Albanian. The next separatist war will most likely start there.

Now I'm not saying that all Albanians are bad. It's the ruling elite that brainwashes the population in taking arms against their neighbours. There are important interests mixed in Kosovo. Serbia as a state has always been pro-Russian and cooperates with Russia on many levels. The United States therefore are interested in minimising Russian influence and weakening one of Moscow's allies. So when the Serbs started repressing the Albanians in Kosovo, the Americans ruling elite used the opportunity to cut a part of the Serbian state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Wow that's terrible. Serbia has a rather low birth rate. I don't want to see them get less and have more lan taken from them.

Hi Trying to be Orthodox. Good to see you.

I don't understand why my country would let this happen. They're just going to demand more land when their population grows. I think we should pull out completely and let the Serbs have the land back.

Edit: Also, there has been news broadcasts here of terror groups in Albania and Kosovo

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, even if the US pulls out, some agreement should be made that no further repressions will be taken against the population there. There are 1,6 million Albanians in Kosovo and the Serbs are very radicalised(to say it softly) against them. Still It would be best if the province returns to Serbia and the state makes everything possible to stimulate the growth of the orthodox population.

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
To be fair, if someone took my land, I'd be upset too. Not radixal though. I hope they do it peacefully, and yes, they should raise the birth rates. I know Russia pays people to have kids now. I don't know if Serbia is rich but maybe they can do this too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've lived in Kosovo and the tiny country has certainly won my heart! :) Beautiful country, fascinating history, good music, food, wine, and very friendly warm people. The current President of Kosovo, Atifete Jahjaga, gets my :thumbsup:. Not only is she the first female president of this young and decidedly conservative country and a high ranking police officer on top of that, she's also by far the youngest president. And so pretty too. Life's so unfair.

As most of her neighbourhood, Kosovo, too, should do more for minority rights and to fight crime & corruption, though. I sincerely hope one day very soon all these former belligerents will be united under this flag:

125px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
my priest said once that a lot of the Serbian spirituality is in Kosovo, so he hopes it returns to the Serbs
Seems like an amazing place to investigate...

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At the moment, Kosovo is a hellhole since it is essentially operated by the Albanian mafia. Official figures for unemployment are around 75%. You can guess where the most of money comes form. Every week or so a Serb, or more of them, are murdered in Kosovo, and so far, in these last 13 years, I don't recall murderers ever being brought to justice. They never will be - no reason to.
Serbian churches and graveyards are desecrated on daily basis, whereas in Serbian part of Kosovska Mitrovica (one of the biggest cities in Kosovo) the Albanian graveyards is standing ountouched. Anyone who goes to Kosovo can verify the fact.
I find support for Kosovo's independence a cultural crime against Serbs. Serba isn't for the Delclaration of Independence being placed in Louvre, or Congress being turned into a mosque for an independence of some American state just because it may have a majority of non-American citizens. And yet that is precisely what was done down there - Kosovo is the heart of Serbia, of our cultural and national identity, the cradle of ancient Serbian state.
This is a video of what happened in March of 2004. alone. At 5:05 there is a particulary disturbing footage of church desecration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OojS5a3xslM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All of the Balkans is a hellhole. If it isn't the economics, it's the "bastard" Muslims who don't know if their Europeans or middle easterners, if it's nOt that, it's the genocidal EU.

And in general most people from the Balkans are not pleasant. Too much misery right now.

Upvote 0

Misha777

Jul 15, 2013
✟15,139.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Kosovo is much misunderstood and misrepresented by the Western press. Lots of Slavophobia involved. In WWII, the Croats took sides with the Nazis, their organization was the Ustashe. Serbs have a long memory about this. When it sounded like there was going to be a replay, the Serbs took up arms. Now, despite what the UN and our government says, there was no genocide attempted at Srbrenica or any other place in the area although there was a lot of killing of soldiers and some killing of civilians, on both sides. The figures about Srebrenica quoted in the West are fanciful, essentially assuming that everyone that left the region - soldiers killed, civilians killed, emigration, etc. - were all non-Serb civilians who were murdered. Many in graves were actually irregular soldiers, etc. Some were Serbs. Many actually fled the heart of the conflict. I'm sure there were massacres on both sides, but I do not believe the Serbs did anything unusual given the behavior of those around them. Kosovo was basically founded as a state by the Kosovo Liberation Army, a terrorist organization funded by Salafists, Saudis, etc. So now, thanks to American and Western European policy, we have a terrorist state in the heart of Europe, just like we do in Libya, we did in Egypt, and we may yet in Syria. Madness.

Upvote 0