Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
prodromos said:
A google search for "koliva recipe" seems to provide a few that are probably fine :)

Dear John:

Most of the recipes I have seen are lacking. We need some technical writers out there. Instead we get well-meaning yayas who tell us to mix honey with the wheat berries but don't give any specific amount of honey. Guess when I get that old, I'll have memory lapses too.

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've never made, eaten, or even seen koliva in my life, so I can't be much help. I don't even know what in the heck wheat berries are, but they sure sound weird. :)

But I assume you have at least eaten koliva, so if I were you, I would probably stir in the honey a teaspoonful at the time, until it looks right. I am the daughter and granddaughter of "some of this and some of that" cooks, and this method has saved me a number of times.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
I've never made, eaten, or even seen koliva in my life, so I can't be much help. I don't even know what in the heck wheat berries are, but they sure sound weird. :)

But I assume you have at least eaten koliva, so if I were you, I would probably stir in the honey a teaspoonful at the time, until it looks right. I am the daughter and granddaughter of "some of this and some of that" cooks, and this method has saved me a number of times.

Koliva consists of

boiled whole wheat
flavored with walnuts and/or almonds,
raisins, cranberries and/or pomegranites
sweetened with sugar (or honey.

It is spread out on a tray, and covered with a thin layer of sesame seeds followed by a thin layer of white powdered sugar. This is like a grave. Then in the center is placed a cross created out of Jordan almonds and/or walnuts, raisins and/or cranberries. The initials of the deceased one(s)s are placed on the sides.

Some people like it, some people don't. The kernels of wheat represent the souls of the faithful departed. It is brought to the Church on the Saturday of the souls or for a 40 day memorial. Candles are placed in the center. The priest sings the memorial prayers in front of the table with the koliva placed on it. Sometimes a picture of the deceased is also placed on the table for a 40 day memorial.

Hope this helps.

Love in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Aria said:
Koliva consists of

boiled whole wheat
flavored with walnuts and/or almonds,
raisins, cranberries and/or pomegranites
sweetened with sugar (or honey.
How do you get boiled whole wheat? :scratch:

It sounds like you can just add sugar/honey to suit your taste. Since you said you have blood sugar problems, it's probably best not to put too much honey in your koliva.

Is Splenda okay for you to have? You might use that instead of honey or sugar.

At my parish, Splenda is a major ingredient of coffee hour. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.