Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koliva - does anyone have a good recipe

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by MariaRegina, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I need to make some koliva for a memorial. Does anyone have a church-approved (yaya approved) recipe?

2. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    A google search for "koliva recipe" seems to provide a few that are probably fine :)

3. Matthias

Matthias Guest

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, koliva!

(What is it?!).

4. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Dear John:

Most of the recipes I have seen are lacking. We need some technical writers out there. Instead we get well-meaning yayas who tell us to mix honey with the wheat berries but don't give any specific amount of honey. Guess when I get that old, I'll have memory lapses too.

Lovingly in Christ,
    Elizabeth

5. Matrona

Matrona Lady Godiva Freedom Rider

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I've never made, eaten, or even seen koliva in my life, so I can't be much help. I don't even know what in the heck wheat berries are, but they sure sound weird. :)

But I assume you have at least eaten koliva, so if I were you, I would probably stir in the honey a teaspoonful at the time, until it looks right. I am the daughter and granddaughter of "some of this and some of that" cooks, and this method has saved me a number of times.

6. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Koliva consists of

boiled whole wheat
    flavored with walnuts and/or almonds,
    raisins, cranberries and/or pomegranites
    sweetened with sugar (or honey.

It is spread out on a tray, and covered with a thin layer of sesame seeds followed by a thin layer of white powdered sugar. This is like a grave. Then in the center is placed a cross created out of Jordan almonds and/or walnuts, raisins and/or cranberries. The initials of the deceased one(s)s are placed on the sides.

Some people like it, some people don't. The kernels of wheat represent the souls of the faithful departed. It is brought to the Church on the Saturday of the souls or for a 40 day memorial. Candles are placed in the center. The priest sings the memorial prayers in front of the table with the koliva placed on it. Sometimes a picture of the deceased is also placed on the table for a 40 day memorial.

Hope this helps.

Love in Christ,
    Elizabeth

7. Matrona

Matrona Lady Godiva Freedom Rider

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    How do you get boiled whole wheat? :scratch:

It sounds like you can just add sugar/honey to suit your taste. Since you said you have blood sugar problems, it's probably best not to put too much honey in your koliva.

Is Splenda okay for you to have? You might use that instead of honey or sugar.

At my parish, Splenda is a major ingredient of coffee hour. ;)

8. Matthias

Matthias Guest

Coffee is bad for you. Why not call it something else? What if you're allergic to coffee? Hot chocolate hour sounds great! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.