Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, recently there was trending topic on Facebook about Kirk Cameron stating that "Wives should submit to their husbands".

I clicked on the topic to see why it was trending on FB cause to me he didn't say something horrible or bad or outrageous.

Well, I was wrong. I read comment after comment from women saying things like

"well, If my husband said that he would be on the couch. He knows better".

"been married 34 years. My husband knows better never to say something so foolish"

" Glad I'm not married to someone so self-centered".

I was sort of appalled reading the comments of women that had gotten the highest number of likes.

When I read the comments of the women a few things came to mind. 1) How small minded and foolish these women were. 2) Society has raised generations of women to believe its a good thing to be arrogant. 3) women these days seem to have a victim mentality and often try to overcompensate for that victimhood mentality. 4). Large number of women reject basic biblical teachings because they don't add up to modern day feminist teachings.

Anyways, rant over. What do yall thing?

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
giphy.gif

colbert-popcorn.gif

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To nonbelievers basically everything Christians say can come across as outregeous. Men are called to love, guide, protect, provide for, strengthen (etc.) their family, and will be held accountable for it. So when the topic of women called to be submissive to their husbands is presented by itself there is obviously an outrage from many. We can't forget that the man and woman become one flesh, when it talks about a woman being submissive it doesn't mean she is a slave to the husband by any means. There has to be a 'head of the family', Men have that role, period, and like i said they will be held accountable for it. Doesn't mean the wife is any less important or doesnt have influence over the family but with this fallen world we live in there are guidlines God gives us and He knows best! It's obviously hard for people who don't kmow Him to understand His ways as you can imagine. I dont even know why youre surprised by those comments honestly.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To nonbelievers basically everything Christians say can come across as outregeous. Men are called to love, guide, protect, provide for, strengthen (etc.) their family, and will be held accountable for it. So when the topic of women called to be submissive to their husbands is presented by itself there is obviously an outrage from many. We can't forget that the man and woman become one flesh, when it talks about a woman being submissive it doesn't mean she is a slave to the husband by any means. There has to be a 'head of the family', Men have that role, period, and like i said they will be held accountable for it. Doesn't mean the wife is any less important or doesnt have influence over the family but with this fallen world we live in there are guidlines God gives us and He knows best! It's obviously hard for people who don't kmow Him to understand His ways as you can imagine. I dont even know why youre surprised by those comments honestly.

Amen to that!
:amen:

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think he is absolutely correct.

However, submitting does NOT mean slavery.

A woman is to submit to her husband...... but it is ALSO up to the husband to deserve a wife that submits because he serves his wife.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The main thing with this is that "submission" carries with it oppressive connotations today. So when we say wives should submit, really it sounds more like men should subjugate their spouses. Now I think there's a proper hierarchy in the family, but at the same time I think men and women inherently carry an equal amount of God-given dignity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Its really not that complicated to understand but things that are easy for a Christian to understand is going to become objective to the world. The world did not comprehend the light and it is not going to understand its teachings either.

I say let the world think what it wants and let the Christians do as they want. In the end we will see what is right.

Kirk needs to explain himself a little better than to make a statement like that when the world is watching. We understand what he is saying but him stating it like he did is just not good for us.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
While I don't have the same reaction to the concept as I have witnessed in others in the past, that is because I understand that it isn't supposed to be a slavery/oppressive type of relationship. But that is usually what is assumed by that phrase. And it's not just women who may misunderstand the meaning behind it but men also. I think being treated fairly is important and some could interpret it and practice it incorrectly. I kind of do understand why some of those women had such a reaction, because perhaps they were thinking about if their husband said it his intent behind saying it would be arrogant and condescending. I think it is very easy to misunderstand meaning behind things, and it takes time to learn and understand better.
Kirk needs to explain himself a little better than to make a statement like that when the world is watching. We understand what he is saying but him stating it like he did is just not good for us.
I was thinking about this too. The statement by itself seems very out of context for a general audience who isn't already familiar with the concept and understand the intent of the speaker. I didn't read what he said or wrote so maybe he elaborated more on it though.
Myself when I think about the concept of submitting (the biblical kind) this song comes to mind.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
and husbands ought to love and cherish their wives.
somehow that always gets left out, a marriage isn't a one-sided relationship.

But ask this in the married couples forum and see what you get. This is singles here.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The main thing with this is that "submission" carries with it oppressive connotations today.

Because of that, is there not a case to be made to stop using the word? If every time the word "submit" gets used in this context there also has to be a explanation as to what is actually meant by that then it's clearly not the best way of conveying the concept.

Language and meanings can change, and it's far better to acknowledge that than to immediately jump to the defensive position of "well, non-believers just don't understand Christians". If the whole idea behind "submission" were explained better then a lot of non-believers would probably agree with it.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
We submit to other people every day and yet most people don't realize this. I submit to my professor's classroom rules if I want to get an A in his/her class. I submit to the rules of employment and my supervisor's authority when at work...even if I don't agree with all her policies. I submit to the rules of this country.

Somewhere we have made the word "dirty" even though we practice submission every day of our lives. People who do not learn to submit, do not live quality lives in society.

I see submission as something I voluntarily do and not something I am forced to do. I won't stay very long in a place where it is forced on me. Doesn't matter if it is a job or a relationship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
My experience is that couples that don't know how to submit to each other don't have happy marriages. Instead it is "me" against "you" mentality (note the woman who said her husband knows better than to say this....) and marriage becomes a life long competition for power (or at least until the divorce papers show up) instead of a relationship of love.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
and husbands ought to love and cherish their wives.
somehow that always gets left out, a marriage isn't a one-sided relationship.

But ask this in the married couples forum and see what you get. This is singles here.

Singles can't have an opinion on "marriage"...especially Biblically based marriage? I would think that this would be an important issue to explore BEFORE one gets married so it is very appropriate in the Singles forum.

Upvote 0

wannaberocker

Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True, I guess my frustration with the reaction is also with the fact that so many women seem completely ignorant of basic Christianity. Most men and women who have a basic knowledge of scriptures will know "Submission" does not mean a mindless , voiceless slave. Yet, as someone mentioned that's how submission is taken.

Upvote 0