Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully they won't abandon Christ altogether when they find out that so much of what they learned of theology and science was nonsense. "History Book of the Universe"... good grief! :doh:

This would be the responsibility of Christian teachers. They can not blindly neglect what the secular schools teach. When they teach God's creation, they NEED to tell students that the bigger world does not agree and why. All these can be presented to kids as simple as those shown in this assignment.

We are not prepared to teach kids about Creation. That is why they turned into TE when they grow up, if they were lucky.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This would be the responsibility of Christian teachers. They can not blindly neglect what the secular schools teach. When they teach God's creation, they NEED to tell students that the bigger world does not agree and why. All these can be presented to kids as simple as those shown in this assignment.

I would tend to agree with this.

My kids are secularly educated, and one of them came to me the other day saying, "Daddy, did you know the Antarctica used to be tropical?" Now of course her secular teacher was thinking in terms of millions of years, but I promptly explained the secular theory vs. the biblical one and how antarctica was indeed tropical just prior to the flood. Rather than a change that took millions of years, it was rather the consequence of a miracle of God that happened relatively fast. I then shared with her some of the ancient maps men had made of antarctica (before the ice came) as well as all the flood legends that occur all over the world in just about every culture on just about every continent.

I could tell it really clicked. Rather than me just giving her a book and ordering her to believe it, I was actually using the secular knowledge of the world, and showing her how to interpret from a biblical perspective and how it makes more sense from a biblical perspective.

But I'm in agreement with you that our kids should know that most of the world disagrees with the Bible, and even most of the church compromises on the teachings of scripture and tend to believe the naturalistic theories of the world.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would tend to agree with this.

My kids are secularly educated, and one of them came to me the other day saying, "Daddy, did you know the Antarctica used to be tropical?" Now of course her secular teacher was thinking in terms of millions of years, but I promptly explained the secular theory vs. the biblical one and how antarctica was indeed tropical just prior to the flood. Rather than a change that took millions of years, it was rather the consequence of a miracle of God that happened relatively fast. I then shared with her some of the ancient maps men had made of antarctica (before the ice came) as well as all the flood legends that occur all over the world in just about every culture on just about every continent.

I could tell it really clicked. Rather than me just giving her a book and ordering her to believe it, I was actually using the secular knowledge of the world, and showing her how to interpret from a biblical perspective and how it makes more sense from a biblical perspective.

But I'm in agreement with you that our kids should know that most of the world disagrees with the Bible, and even most of the church compromises on the teachings of scripture and tend to believe the naturalistic theories of the world.

Yes, tell kids the FACTS. But give them our interpretations. It would be pretty bad to deny the facts, because they will find them out sooner or later.

Of course, it is more important to teach them how to tell facts from interpretations. Many educated adults can not even get that straight.

Upvote 0

Joshua0035

Dec 30, 2012
✟372.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
They can not blindly neglect what the secular schools teach.
All students have to pass the same test to qualify for a high school degree. I know home schooled students that study on the computer for less then two hours a day and do better on the test then the public school students. It cost them maybe two or three hundred dollars and public schools get $14,000 per student per year.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It strikes me that this appears to be really, really far below grade level, honestly. Creation vs. evolution aside, why would they be giving this to fourth graders at the same time that they're teaching them Latin?

EDIT: For the record, the school has been teaching the students Latin. I actually thought that this linked to the Snopes article. Link for the curious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums