Kentucky Clerk Denying Marriage Certificates Married 4 Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I guess she forgot the the part of scripture where Jesus discusses not to be concerned with the splinter in anothers eye when there is a beam in your own.

‘‘It is a heaven or hell decision,’’ she said in a statement.

At the time she repented in the church pew, Davis had been divorced three times, according to court records. Her current husband, Joe Davis, arrived at the courthouse Tuesday to check in on his wife as a protest raged on the courthouse lawn. It’s been an ordeal for her, he said. People have threatened to kill her and set their house on fire.

Joe Davis, who described himself as ‘‘an old redneck hillbilly,’’ pointed to the rainbow-clad protesters on the opposite side of the lawn.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2...h2zXRR09GRoL/story.html?p1=feature_stack_2_hp

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
There are no sins worse (in our minds) than the ones we know we would never commit. I mean, if we'd do it then it's understandable how people could fall into it. A lie? Hey, it happens sometimes to the best of us. Maybe steal something from work? No big deal. But that other sin, the one I'm not even tempted to do? Can't you see how HORRIBLE it is?

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are no sins worse (in our minds) than the ones we know we would never commit. I mean, if we'd do it then it's understandable how people could fall into it. A lie? Hey, it happens sometimes to the best of us. Maybe steal something from work? No big deal. But that other sin, the one I'm not even tempted to do? Can't you see how HORRIBLE it is?

Maybe she does not want to sin yet again? I don't know what I would do in her situation; I would feel for all concerned.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Maybe she does not want to sin yet again? I don't know what I would do in her situation; I would feel for all concerned.

The point wasn't if she would sin or not, it is that one would imagine she overlooks handing out licenses to those who have been divorced even though her religion states that remarrying is adultery. So, she is willing to judge people based upon one sin but gives a pass to another. It's a lack of consistently applying her religion to her job.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
One of the Desert Fathers (I can't remember which, at the moment; I'm thinking perhaps it was Abba Isaiah, but I'm away from my books right now) once observed that if he ever truly saw the depth of his own sins, there would not be enough monks in all the cells in all the desert of Egypt to weep over them. I wonder how different our societies would be if everyone was willing to condemn himself (or herself, as the case may be) first, before looking to condemn others. I have to think that being a clerk issuing these licenses to people you believe to be sinful must be an awfully tough job these days for those of us in Christian churches that affirm traditional Christian teaching on marriage and sexuality, but I would also hope that taking such things seriously isn't something just (or even primarily) projected outward.

We have a saying in the Coptic Orthodox Church, and that's to never look at another's plate during the fast times (read: don't concern yourself with what other people do; work instead on what you do). I guess in some cases it is unavoidable (as when you're issuing marriage licenses), but then how quickly would we all fall silent if our own sins were displayed before others in a similarly unavoidable way? Hopefully this lady learns that lesson now that her personal life is out in the open in an uncomfortable fashion. (I don't agree that it should be, but if it's going to be anyway, you might as well learn something from it, I guess.)

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point wasn't if she would sin or not, it is that one would imagine she overlooks handing out licenses to those who have been divorced even though her religion states that remarrying is adultery. So, she is willing to judge people based upon one sin but gives a pass to another. It's a lack of consistently applying her religion to her job.

The point to her is that she would sin. Would you want your name on it? Would most Christians?
Nobody knows this woman's heart and we should not judge her. As for the men in question, they could go to another county and save everyone a lot of grief. But no. That would be too simple. This particular Christian has said 'no more'.
'I am not going to do this.' She will lose her job over it, if not her home or her very life. We condone this so people can commit an abomination to the Lord. And feel 'offended' if they do not get their way. Everything is upside down.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess she forgot the the part of scripture where Jesus discusses not to be concerned with the splinter in anothers eye when there is a beam in your own.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2...h2zXRR09GRoL/story.html?p1=feature_stack_2_hp
Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blank Stair

Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Let those who condemn this Christian woman cast the first stone!
She became a Christian four years ago. When God forgave her sins and remembers them no more, who are we to cast aspersions on a sister who is acting in the name of God and the scriptures now?
http://aleteia.org/2015/09/02/kentu...in-court-thursday-for-resisting-gay-marriage/
Kentucky County Clerk Due in Court Thursday for Resisting Gay “Marriage”
Davis cites "God's authority" in refusing licenses to gay couples

JOHN BURGER

SEPTEMBER 2, 2015

he issued a statement Tuesday saying that in addition to her desire to serve the people of Rowan County, “I owe my life to Jesus Christ who loves me and gave His life for me.”

Following the death of my godly mother-in-law over four years ago, I went to church to fulfill her dying wish. There I heard a message of grace and forgiveness and surrendered my life to Jesus Christ. I am not perfect. No one is. But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God.

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Yes Blank, we are to forgive seventy times seven, but not to condone such a sin. By signing her name to that permit she is as much as approving of the union, is she not? If I was her I would just find another job.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
First of all, we do not live in a Christian theocracy and Christianity does not rule this land or its government. Therefore, non-Christians living in this country do not have to adhere to the moral codes or written laws of Christianity. Secondly, every single person living in this country, regardless of religious preference, is entitled to equal rights and these rights should not be infringed upon by any religious zealots, who obviously think they are morally superior to the laws of this country. Thirdly, no one singular religion in our secular country, which is governed by a secular government, should be allowed to be dominate over all other religions and people or given exclusive special rights and special privileges that other religious people and secular people living in this country would be denied. And lastly, Christians are more than able to practice their religion in this country as long as they don't infringe on the rights of other people, which includes people they don't like or whose lifestyle they don't approve of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
5 unelected officials get to tell us what the law is, and they get to tell an actual elected official, who it's been admitted of that she lives in a conservative state and would not be impeached because the people side with her, what to do.

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all, we do not live in a Christian theocracy and Christianity does not rule this land or its government. Therefore, non-Christians living in this country do not have to adhere to the moral codes or written laws of Christianity. Secondly, every single person living in this country, regardless of religious preference, is entitled to equal rights and these rights should not be infringed upon by any religious zealots, who obviously think they are morally superior to the laws of this country. Thirdly, no one singular religion in our secular country, which is governed by a secular government, should be allowed to be dominate over all other religions and people or given exclusive special rights and special privileges that are other religious people and secular people living in this country would be denied. And lastly, Christians are more than able to practice their religion in this country as long as they don't infringe on the rights of other people, which includes people they don't like or whose lifestyle they don't approve of.

Oh, we are certainly aware of this. Can't miss it, Dude.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blank Stair

Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes Blank, we are to forgive seventy times seven, but not to condone such a sin. By signing her name to that permit she is as much as approving of the union, is she not? If I was her I would just find another job.
To be fair to the facts in this case, she's refusing to issue marriage licenses to anyone who seeks to apply.

If this couple in question simply wanted to get married they could go to any clerk in Kentucky and receive a license.
Their pursuit in this case is to get this Christian woman to concede her position under threat. And as someone has said, even under threat of death and the torching of her home. That speaks to the lows that advocates who call for tolerance will seemingly go to in order to harass and intimidate a Christian.

Furthermore, her position is not a job. It is an elected office. In order for her to be removed she'd have to be prosecuted criminally for malfeasance. Which isn't a viable charge here.
She's currently being represented, as they approached her and offered to take her case, by Liberty Counsel.
In point of fact she is not technically violating any law.

Sodomy laws are still on the books in Kentucky. They're grandfathered in and were extant prior to the SCOTUS June decision that makes this matter an issue now.
The license that is being sought technically grants applicants license to violate those aforementioned laws. One can not give a license to break the law.
And while it can be argued that heterosexuals are just as likely to commit to that violation of the sodomy laws, it is absolute that same sex couples do and shall. Because that is the only methodology employed in their unnatural sexual congress. Therefore, the male couple asking for a license to violate the law in Kentucky are legally able to be denied by law.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
5 unelected officials get to tell us what the law is, and they get to tell an actual elected official, who it's been admitted of that she lives in a conservative state and would not be impeached because the people side with her, what to do.

Justices being elected would be the worst disaster in the history of our nation. We already have them voting too much along party lines, I can't even imagine how bad it would be if they actually got elected from their rulings.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Justices being elected would be the worst disaster in the history of our nation. We already have them voting too much along party lines, I can't even imagine how bad it would be if they actually got elected from their rulings.

I think that would be right along the lines of making this country an official religious theocracy.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Exactly.
Her personal Hypocrisy of being married 4 times & being an adulteress herself is actually irrelevant.

If she were the perfect, pious, chaste Church Lady who never sinned, It should be just as objectionable (and illegal) that she is selectively imposing her personal interpretation of scripture over and above the metering out of her assigned Civil tasks equally to all citizens under the law.

She did take an Oath of office to uphold the law after all, which she claims now she is incapable of doing, which in turn is a violation of the oath she took (Likely with her hand on the bible, ironically) to "faithfully execute the duties of my office without favor, affection or partiality", and therefore she should resign, and if she continues to refuse, she should be impeached or arrested & fined, or all of the above..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.