Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think is apoogetics are fine but the skeptics are always going to point to his tax evasion conviction as a distraction.

First, let's get this out of the way - Hovind's legal problems have no bearing on his science discussion. However, they do speak volumes about his character, and they say something about his respect for the bible (and his commitment to literalism).

First, was he biblically justified in his actions? He accepted bad tax advice (I'm being nice here), and broke U.S. law because he felt it was unjustified. What does the bible say about paying taxes, even those you don't agree with? It's pretty clear here: The Bible and Taxes - What Does the Bible Say About Paying Taxes?

We know from 1 Peter 2:14 that God sends the government to punish wrongdoers. Thus, there are two truths about Hovind: First, he is not biblically justified in his crime, and second, the government is not only legally but biblically justified to punish him. The last I heard, Hovind has not confessed to his sin and is still trying to justify it. I pray that he repents of this evil and strives to move back into obedience.

Think about it - if someone was preaching something, and then you found out that they had committed some crime, would that affect your willingness to trust them? If someone was living in sin and refused to repent, would you believe anything they say? Many YEC's are distancing themselves from Hovind, and this is a good thing. Until he repents he is only hurting the cause.

Upvote 0

RDGSr

Jan 13, 2013
✟15,593.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I the pharisees asked Peter if the Master pays taxes. Jesus stopped Peter asked if the children of the king should pay taxes.
Peter said no.
Throw a hook into the sea and pay taxes for you and me.

What would you say about a candidate who fought the infernal business and WON?
Well, there is one in particular. He did not get elected; he had to endure a runoff election.
JODIE HICE.
He ran in the 7th Congressional district of GA.
He founded the Ten Commandments “GA, INC”.
Raised right around $300,000 to defend against the ACLU lawsuit forcing removal of the Ten Commandments Display from Barrow County Court House.

He is the leader of the Alliance Defense Fund “Pulpit Initiative”
“The Myth of Separation of Church and State.

On
Sept 28th, 2008, 33 Pastors across the country stood in the pulpit and challenged the IRS by endorsing candidates for public office and reclaiming Pastors’ constitutional right to speak the truth.
The IRS was backed down from the loss of tax exempts status and criminal sanctions if political issues and endorsements are delivered from the pulpit
Issues such as Jobs, Health Care, Tax and Kill, Government Spending, National Defense, Life, Fair Tax, Constitution, The First Amendment, Religious Liberty, The Right to Bear Arms and Immigration are what this man is working for.
Every election should bring new candidates to their senses and ours.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, let's get this out of the way - Hovind's legal problems have no bearing on his science discussion. However, they do speak volumes about his character, and they say something about his respect for the bible (and his commitment to literalism).

First, was he biblically justified in his actions? He accepted bad tax advice (I'm being nice here), and broke U.S. law because he felt it was unjustified. What does the bible say about paying taxes, even those you don't agree with? It's pretty clear here: The Bible and Taxes - What Does the Bible Say About Paying Taxes?

We know from 1 Peter 2:14 that God sends the government to punish wrongdoers. Thus, there are two truths about Hovind: First, he is not biblically justified in his crime, and second, the government is not only legally but biblically justified to punish him. The last I heard, Hovind has not confessed to his sin and is still trying to justify it. I pray that he repents of this evil and strives to move back into obedience.

Think about it - if someone was preaching something, and then you found out that they had committed some crime, would that affect your willingness to trust them? If someone was living in sin and refused to repent, would you believe anything they say? Many YEC's are distancing themselves from Hovind, and this is a good thing. Until he repents he is only hurting the cause.

Yeah, I think this is going way overboard. Hovind made a mistake and believes he is legally correct. I think it was a bad move, but calling him a sinner over this is just silly, and self-righteous. The Bible says to pay taxes and also to give to caesar what is caesar's. Hovind believed he was following the caesar of the united states—the constitution.

We need to take a long look at Romans 14 before we get too dogmatic on these matters. Now you can argue he was wrong, but calling him a sinner and pointing the finger just makes you look bad. The Bible also warns about rejoicing in the suffering and misfortune of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I the pharisees asked Peter if the Master pays taxes. Jesus stopped Peter asked if the children of the king should pay taxes.
Peter said no.
Throw a hook into the sea and pay taxes for you and me.

The temple tax was for atonement, and of course the sinless Jesus hardly needed to pay an atonement tax. However, do notice that Jesus had Peter pay the tax anyway "to not offend them" - in other words, there are more important things in the kingdom that money, and it's better to pay the tax than to draw negative attention to the purposes of God.

What did Jesus have to say about paying taxes to the government (Rome)? Hovind does not have a leg to stand on here biblically. He is a very public religious person and is putting his politics ahead of his religion.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I think this is going way overboard. Hovind made a mistake and believes he is legally correct. I think it was a bad move, but calling him a sinner over this is just silly, and self-righteous. The Bible says to pay taxes and also to give to caesar what is caesar's. Hovind believed he was following the caesar of the united states—the constitution.

We need to take a long look at Romans 14 before we get too dogmatic on these matters. Now you can argue he was wrong, but calling him a sinner and pointing the finger just makes you look bad. The Bible also warns about rejoicing in the suffering and misfortune of others.

I'm not rejoicing in his situation. I find it sad when any public Christian is placed in an illegal or embarrassing situation - it harms the credibility of every Christian. We are all sinners, I am certainly not in any position to be self-righteous. However, the problem is when you try to insist your sin is not only not sin, the the right thing to do. If it's the Christian duty to call out our brothers and sisters when they are living wrong, then I am not overstepping my bounds here.

Upvote 0

RDGSr

Jan 13, 2013
✟15,593.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
A piece of a post I did a while ago:
Well, there is one in particular. He did not get elected; he had to endure a runoff election.
JODIE HICE.
Raised right around $300,000 to defend against the ACLU lawsuit forcing removal of the Ten Commandments Display from Barrow County Court House.

On
Sept 28th, 2008, 33 Pastors across the country stood in the pulpit and challenged the IRS by endorsing candidates for public office and reclaiming Pastors’ constitutional right to speak the truth.
The IRS was backed down from the loss of tax exempts status and criminal sanctions if political issues and endorsements are delivered from the pulpit

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A piece of a post I did a while ago:
JODIE HICE.

On
I see they used political pressure to get their way rather than seeing if they has any legal right to tax exemption in the courts. The pastors never lost their constitutional right to speak their mind, what they didn't have was the right to promote their favourite political party while claiming tax exemption status as a non political church. There is a simple price to pay for pastors speaking out in favour of a political party, stop claiming tax exempt status and pay your taxes. It seems it isn't a price they were willing to pay.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That tax fight went on for a little while and the preachers won.
They were/are exempt from taxes period.
Getting the IRS to back down through political pressure is not the same as actually being exempt.

To be exempt you would need the law changed, or the courts to say that the tax exemption for churches that don't participate in political campaigns applies even when they are involved in political campaigning. If you break the terms of your tax exemption, you owe the tax to you government whether the IRS has the political clout to enforce it or not. Remember what Jesus said about render unto Caesar?

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Getting the IRS to back down through political pressure is not the same as actually being exempt.

To be exempt you would need the law changed, or the courts to say that the tax exemption for churches that don't participate in political campaigns applies even when they are involved in political campaigning. If you break the terms of your tax exemption, you owe the tax to you government whether the IRS has the political clout to enforce it or not. Remember what Jesus said about render unto Caesar?

Yes, He said render onto Ceasar, but He did not say to allow Ceasar to silence you when you speak out on that which is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, He said render onto Ceasar, but He did not say to allow Ceasar to silence you when you speak out on that which is wrong.
Caesar hasn't silenced them. They have the same right to speak out on political issues as everyone else, they just need to pay their taxes like everyone else if they do.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Caesar hasn't silenced them. They have the same right to speak out on political issues as everyone else, they just need to pay their taxes like everyone else if they do.

Originally, churches were completely tax exempt under the constitution. It's only in relatively recent history that churches have been deemed taxable. It's wrong. It's a way to silence religious leaders. Either pay heavy taxes (and most normal churches do not get much money other than tithes and the bulk of that is used to either maintain the church or for charitable projects) or keep your mouth shut and don't speak out about things contrary to God's word. Honestly though, I think we're starting to get off topic so I'll just let it go from here. As far as Hovind goes, he's now all but irrelevant. When he does get out of prison, no one will listen to him again anyway...

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hovind is a noted conspiracy theorist and charlatan, not just due to his legal issues but due to his psuedohistory and willingly ignorance of how science works or has even postulated or discovered. He enjoys picking and choosing what parts of science he likes without accepting the consequences (or ignoring them) and discards anything else. All of his "scientific evidence" he offers has been long rebutted by actual scientists in peer-reviewed articles for decades.

The man is merely out for money. He is exactly where he deserves to be.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not rejoicing in his situation. I find it sad when any public Christian is placed in an illegal or embarrassing situation - it harms the credibility of every Christian. We are all sinners, I am certainly not in any position to be self-righteous. However, the problem is when you try to insist your sin is not only not sin, the the right thing to do. If it's the Christian duty to call out our brothers and sisters when they are living wrong, then I am not overstepping my bounds here.

You keep avoiding this simple point, but having certain beliefs about government and taxes is not sin. In fact most think Hovind was just plain stupid for the beliefs he had and that it wouldn't work out this way, but you're taking it a step further by proclaiming form the heights of Olympus that God is upset with him. The truth is, you're probably upsetting God more than Hovind is.

Say what you will about the guy, he is sincere. I can't say the same for you.

Upvote 0

RDGSr

Jan 13, 2013
✟15,593.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I have heard the naysayers and accusers:
Yhy are they all showing so much ... aside from the word hatred I don't know what to call it.
Hovind was railroaded.
The Infernal Revenue Robbers were not supposed to tax him; his religious organization .
I found him to havng the best theory on every aspect of His Story (History) rather than listening to people who may not even be believers.
Those seminars tell so much.
To knock Kent on Conspiracy theories without checking out those theories is ...how can I put it in a nice way????
Most of the theories are being proved as we speak; by some secular (athiests) people.
Those chemtrails... I watched about an hour & half of those Chem trail people...Congress didn'tt even look at it until they showed the trees in Hawiiaeee.
Fish are dying in America at an alarming rate.

Upvote 0