XTE

Jun 27, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟3,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Kent Hovind arrest on more than 50 federal counts....

http://pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060714/NEWS01/607140333/1006

he indictment also says the Hovinds' made cash withdrawals from AmSouth Bank in a manner that evaded federal requirements for reporting cash transactions.

The withdrawals were for $9,500 or $9,600, just below the $10,000 starting point for reporting cash transactions.

Most of the withdrawals were days apart. For example, the indictment shows three withdrawals of $9,500 each on July 20, July 23 and July 26 in 2001.

The smell of guilt. I think he made it easy...

If you're going to play the ignorance card when they catch you, you have to have played the card the entire time. Meaning, you take the lump sum and shoot it off to somewhere else before the reporting is done and the IRS wants their money.... er. hypothetically.

He just chose to do it under the radar and it smells rank. I guess he thought the IRS had never seen this before.

He also is claiming that "he doesn't know what he was arrested for" or what have you which is his way of trying to get the easy way out. I'm sure he doesn't know why he was arrested...(sarcasm).

Anyone think he's lying here? Can we answer that ?

P

Poke

Look at the "Theistic" Evolutionists here openly excited that Big Brother is harassing a Christian minister.

I didn't know it was a crime to withdraw under $10,000 from the bank, even if done a number of times. Some people just like privacy.

The article says Hovind is charged with failure to pay $473,818 in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes on employees at his Creation Science Evangelism/Ministry. This is no crime if those employees are contractors (as is apparently Hovind's position). It's the contractor's responsibility to pay social security, medicare, and income taxes on their income, not Hovind's.

The article points out that Hovind's Dinosaur Adventure Land closed because Hovind failed to obtain a building permit during the 2002 construction. Hovind spent thousands of dollars fighting for the right to exempt this religious park from needing a building permit for reasons of Separation of Church and state. He could have just paid a few bucks for the permit and saved himself a lot of money and hassle.

The only "crime" Hovind is guilty of is trying to fight for freedom. But, freedom is the enemy of Evolution. The anti-God doctrine of Evolution can only thrive where the state promotes it while suppressing Christianity.

So, what was Hovind arrested for?

Upvote 0
P

Poke

theFijian said:
If Hovind is guilty then it is a terrible witness for Christ, Render to Caeser what is Caeser's.

You think Hovind is a terrible witness for Christ if he's guilty of the non-crimes he's accused of: hiring people as contractors rather than as employees, vigerously defending his rights (what the article calls "impeding an IRS investigation"), and of making bank withdrawals of under $10,000.

How so?

This really has nothing to do with failure to render to Caeser what is Caeser's. Caeser still gets his money (e.g. from estimated tax payments instead of payroll withholdings.)

Again, the only thing Hovind is guilty of is fighting for freedom. Hovind should be admired for this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟53,491.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
vossler said:
Whether this is true or not I haven't a clue and won't comment on. What is disturbing is that a fellow Christian is seemingly gloating over this event. I'm at a loss to understand why.

Same here. I don't know much about this guy, I heard him on Art Bell on night and he made a lot of sense. But that was like 7 years ago!

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Poke said:
I didn't know it was a crime to withdraw under $10,000 from the bank, even if done a number of times. Some people just like privacy.

The law says that withdrawals of $10,000 or more must be reported. This is meaure that stems from RICO and various anti-drug laws.

If a bank sees a pattern of 'just under' $10,000 withdrawals then they are obligated to report that to the Feds (IRS or Customs).

Why? Because while everyone is entitled to their money, a long term pattern of 'just under' withdrawals, especially cash withdrawals, is closely associated with the drug and gun trade, money laundering and other nefarious activities.

This is not about privacy. This is about a pattern of behaviour that is closely associated with crime.

And guess what? Is was associated with crime!

The bank did what is was supposed to do. The Feds did what they were supposed to do.

As Christians we are to set the standard for respecting and obeying the law, and not cry persecution when we get our hands caught in the cookie jar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
chaoschristian said:
The law says that withdrawals of $10,000 or more must be reported. This is meaure that stems from RICO and various anti-drug laws.

If a bank sees a pattern of 'just under' $10,000 withdrawals then they are obligated to report that to the Feds (IRS or Customs).

Why? Because...

The "why" has nothing to do with it. Hovind didn't violate anything you say the "the law says..." Hovind didn't violate the law.

And guess what? Is was associated with crime!

What crime? According to the article, he's charged with "evading bank reporting requirements." It seems to me that only a bank can violate bank reporting requirements. But, more to the point, it's a BS charge that can be thrown against anyone. And, BS charges are the only kind of charges Hovind is accused of. It's like you being arrested for avoiding handicap parking restrictions by parking in the space next to the handicap parking space.

Hovind's only crime is fighting for freedom.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Poke said:
Hovind's only crime is fighting for freedom.

And a bad haircut. You can't pay your employees in cash and not report it. Regardless of what Hovind calls them, under the laws of the state and country he is in, what he did was against the law.

Why does Hovind hate America?

Breaking the law != fighting for freedom.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Poke said:
The "why" has nothing to do with it. Hovind didn't violate anything you say the "the law says..." Hovind didn't violate the law.

What crime? According to the article, he's charged with "evading bank reporting requirements." It seems to me that only a bank can violate bank reporting requirements. But, more to the point, it's a BS charge that can be thrown against anyone. And, BS charges are the only kind of charges Hovind is accused of. It's like you being arrested for avoiding handicap parking restrictions by parking in the space next to the handicap parking space.

Let me explain again:

A person who banks within the jurisdiction of the United States of America is required to report all withdrawals of funds that are $10,000 or more.

One, may of course, withdrawal less then $10,000 at any given time.

However, if a person demonstrates a continued pattern of withdrawing less then $10,000 (especially in cash) this is a red flag to the bank that more likely than not this person is engaged in questionable behaviour. Banks that observe this behaviour report it to the appropriate Federal agency.

Specifically withdrawing less than $10,000 with the intent to avoid reporting laws, in conjunction with other illegal activity, is a crime.

This is not BS. This is how drug dealers, gun traders, slave traders, money launderers, etc are spotted and caught.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.