Kent Hovind Arrested

Finrod

Dubyah's Evil Twin
Aug 7, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
✟190.00
Here is the arrest report, I first saw it on usenet. Sorry about the caps, but this is how arrest reports are written apparently.

<DIV>ON 8-15-2002 AT APPROX 1400 HRS IN ESCAMBIA COUNTY FL, THE ABOVE DEFENDANT, DR KENT E HOVIND DID WILLFULLY AND INTENTIONALLY COMMIT THE OFFENSE OF BURGLARY, BATTERY AND-ASSAULT. ON THIS DATE DR HOVIND CAME TO THE RESIDENCE OF HIS TENANT AT 100 CUMMINGS ST WHERE HE MADE CONTACT WITH TRUDY OWEN AT THE FRONT DOOR AND ATTEMPTED TO PROVIDE HER WITH MONEY IN ORDER FOR HER TO RELOCATE RESIDENCY. TRUDY OWEN SAID SHE REFUSED TO ACCEPT THE MONEY ASKING DR HOVIND TO LEAVE AS SHE SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. DR HOVIND THEN FORCED THE FRONT DOOR OPEN, KNOCKING MS OWEN BACKWARDS AND ENTERED INTO THE STRUCTURE AND BEGAN YELLING LOUDLY AND ACTING IN A HOSTILE AND AGGRESSIVE MANNER, PUTTING V/OWEN IN FEAR FOR HER SAFETY.

VICTIM CHRISTOPHER KENUI, ALSO RESIDING AT THIS RESIDENCE, ATTEMPTED TO INTERVENE WITH THIS ALTERCATION, WHERE DR HOVIND THEN BECAME PHYSICALLY AGGRESSIVE TOWARD KENUI, WHERE CHRISTOPHER THEN PHYSICALLY WRESTLED HIM OUT OF HIS RESIDENCE AND ONTO THE FRONT PORCH THEN SLAMMING THE DOOR AND LOCKING IT AND CALLING THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE TO REPORT THIS INCIDENT.

UPON MY ARRIVAL, I INTERVIEWED V/TRUDY OWEN, V/CHRISTOPHER KENUI AND WA/ROENALINE KENUI, WHO ALL CONCURRED WITH THE SAME STATEMENT OF THE EVENT THAT PREVIOUSLY OCCURRED. I THEN INTERVIEWED DR KENT HOVIND IN REFERENCE TO THIS INCIDENT WHERE HE DID ADMIT TO FORCING HIS WAY INTO THE HOUSE STATING THAT THE RESIDENCE BELONGED TO HIM AND HE WAS MERELY RENTING THIS HOME TO TENANT OWEN AND FAMILY. DR HOVIND FURTHER STATED THAT HE WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT HE COULD ENTER THIS RESIDENCE ANY TIME HE WANTED THEREFORE. HE DID NOT FEEL THAT HE COMMITTED A CRIME. DR HOVIND FURTHER STATED THAT HE DID NOT ASSAULT MS OWEN AT THIS LOCATION AND THAT CHRISTOPHER KENUI DID IN FACT HAVE TO PHYSICALLY REMOVE HIM AFTER HIS REFUSAL TO LEAVE VERBALLY.

AT THAT TIME, DR KENT HOVIND WAS PLACED UNDER ARREST, TRANSPORTED TO THE ESCAMBIA COUNTY JAIL AND CHARGED WITH BURGLARY, BATTERY AND ASSAULT. BOND PLACED AT $1,000 AND RETURNABLE SET FOR 9-05-2002.

UPON MY DEPARTURE AT THIS LOCATION A SECONDARY WITNESS. PAUL JEWELL ARRIVED AND STATED TO ME THAT HE WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD DURING THE TIME OF THIS INCIDENT AND MERELY SAW DR HOVIND STANDING ON THE FRONT PORCH AT 100 CUMMINGS ST. HE FURTHER STATED HE DID NOT OBSERVE ANY ALTERCATION.

WITNESS STATEMENT FORMS WERE DOCUMENTED BY THE VICTIMS AND WITNESSES IN THIS INCIDENT TO BE TURNED IN WITH REPORT. BURK, DAVID KARL 312 ID
========================
JEWELL, PAUL DAVID W M 02/06/1975
Addresses (Current/Last Known is Listed First) XXXX N PALAFOX ST PENSACOLA FL 32503 Phone: (850)473-XXXX
Occupations (Current/Last Known is Listed First) Business: CREATIONS SCIENCE EVANL, Job Title:, Phone: 850 Entered: 08/15/2002 </DIV>

&nbsp;

After I saw this, I did a little research. First, I went to Pensacola's local newspaper. Hee is what is in their felony arrest section:

Kent E. Hovind,
49, 400 block of Schubert Drive, assault, battery, burglary.

&nbsp;

You have to scroll down a bit; the obituaries are&nbsp;before it.&nbsp;Or, just hit Control+f and search for Hovind. It will take it right to that little bit above.

The next validation I found was in the Escambia County records.

http://205.152.130.8/cv_web_1b.asp?ucase_id=12619523

It goes in detail about the charges against Mr. Hovind.

ashibaka

ShiiAce
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
✟9,047.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Cancer to Inquity: I haven't seen any. Nothing on drdino.com about it.

Sky77: Apparently, robbery and assault and battery.

ON THIS DATE DR HOVIND CAME TO THE RESIDENCE OF HIS TENANT AT 100 CUMMINGS ST WHERE HE MADE CONTACT WITH TRUDY OWEN AT THE FRONT DOOR AND ATTEMPTED TO PROVIDE HER WITH MONEY IN ORDER FOR HER TO RELOCATE RESIDENCY. TRUDY OWEN SAID SHE REFUSED TO ACCEPT THE MONEY ASKING DR HOVIND TO LEAVE AS SHE SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. DR HOVIND THEN FORCED THE FRONT DOOR OPEN, KNOCKING MS OWEN BACKWARDS AND ENTERED INTO THE STRUCTURE AND BEGAN YELLING LOUDLY AND ACTING IN A HOSTILE AND AGGRESSIVE MANNER, PUTTING V/OWEN IN FEAR FOR HER SAFETY.

VICTIM CHRISTOPHER KENUI, ALSO RESIDING AT THIS RESIDENCE, ATTEMPTED TO INTERVENE WITH THIS ALTERCATION, WHERE DR HOVIND THEN BECAME PHYSICALLY AGGRESSIVE TOWARD KENUI, WHERE CHRISTOPHER THEN PHYSICALLY WRESTLED HIM OUT OF HIS RESIDENCE AND ONTO THE FRONT PORCH THEN SLAMMING THE DOOR AND LOCKING IT AND CALLING THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE TO REPORT THIS INCIDENT.

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
Kent and son Andrew's rap sheets:

Dino and one of the Junior Dinos

One of Hovind's latest offences is a first degree felony. Dr. Dino could be doing some time in the crowbar hotel for that one.

Kent's other son Eric's rap sheet:

Eric Hovind, another Dino Junior

Breaking the law is a family affair in the Hovind household. You'd think they were a bunch of atheists or something, with no morals.

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
Dr. Dino is charged with:

784.011 Assault

(1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

(2) Whoever commits an assault shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

784.03 Battery; felony battery

(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:

1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who commits battery commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

810.02 Burglary

(2) Burglary is a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life imprisonment or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if, in the course of committing the offense, the offender:

(a) Makes an assault or battery upon any person

Hmm. If I were the prosecutor I'd be inclined to make the case that Hovind is indeed a "career criminal." Regardless, Dinoboy is in some hot water.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by D. Scarlatti
Kent and son Andrew's rap sheets:

Dino and one of the Junior Dinos

In all fairness, it should be mentioned that Kent Andrew Hovind's "rap sheet" is clean: he has never been a defendent in the locality in question.&nbsp;

Also mention that&nbsp; burglary seems to have a strange definition in Florida since the police report is clear that there was no stealing involved.

Of course I am not defending the Hovinds in any way and I do see these latest developments as just more evidence that CSE and its founder are quacks who don't care about letting the law, ethics, or morality -- not to mention facts -- get in their way.&nbsp; But it is important not to imply what is not so.&nbsp;&nbsp;

I am quite sure that if I were to get into such continue trouble with the law as Dr. Dino has, that I would be in jail right now.&nbsp;

And it is past time for other creationist organizations to say clearly and explicately that Hovind is an unworth quack and that CSE is an unworthy organzation that should be avoided at all costs.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
ardipithecus correctly notes: In all fairness, it should be mentioned that Kent Andrew Hovind's "rap sheet" is clean: he has never been a defendent in the locality in question.

True, unless you count his marriage.

P.S. Theft is not an element of burglary. See e.g. Florida Statute 810.02 (1)(b)

Upvote 0
Originally posted by D. Scarlatti

Hmm. If I were the prosecutor I'd be inclined to make the case that Hovind is indeed a "career criminal." Regardless, Dinoboy is in some hot water.

In and of itself, I would doubt that what Hovind did in this particular case would result in any jail time even if the law made it a possiblity.&nbsp; And this case is such that it might be hard to get a conviction though it is obvious he did a really dumb thing here.

I don't think he is exposed to any "career criminal" sanctions either.&nbsp; These require usually repeated convictions of felonies that is simply not here given that his state/county offenses are not felonies and that Feds never charged him with a felony over his tax evasion though clearly they could have done so.&nbsp;

But then again I might be wrong since I am not a lawyer.&nbsp; Indeed I have never once been inside a court room.&nbsp;

Of course irregardless of whether or not he is convicted crime, his behavior was horrid and shows him to be a dishonorable man.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
ardipithecus wrote: In and of itself, I would doubt that what Hovind did in this particular case would result in any jail time even if the law made it a possibility.

I'm curious as to what makes you say that.

Hovind has been charged with first degree felony burglary, a felony that was accompanied by misdemeanor battery and assault. If convicted, he's looking at prison time, not just jail time. Of course that it's his first offense (I presume) is a mitigating factor, and perhaps the circumstances of the assault and battery are not particularly egregious.

But the DA's office isn't going to knock down the charges, since Hovind's apparently going to trial. And he's going to represent himself - that should be good. You know what they say about defendants that decide to represent themselves at trial, that they have a fool for a client. How true, especially in this case.

Having observed several aspects of Hovind's "character," I'm reasonably sure he's going to show up in court acting like a complete jerk, which isn't going to win him any friends either in the DA's office or on the bench. He'll probably start raving about being under "god's law" and the rest of that posse comitatus gibberish like he has during his building code altercations.

And if he shows up claiming that he didn't know what he was doing was "against the law," well ... ignorance of the law is no defense at all.

ardipithecus: And this case is such that it might be hard to get a conviction though it is obvious he did a really dumb thing here.

Why? He's got three eyewitnesses lined up against him, probably including one who, if she's sustained any physical injuries such as bruises and has anything on the ball, will have photographic evidence of her injuries. Plus he pretty much admitted to the police officers that he did what he's been charged with.

Not only that but he'll probably get sued in civil court for the various torts; at least I hope so, just for the sheer entertainment value.

ardipithecus: I don't think he is exposed to any "career criminal" sanctions either.

Well I was just joking about that. His "career" is "criminal," if you ask me, but obviously he's not a career criminal in the sense the Florida statutes contemplate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sometimes you can't rely on the police reports for any degree of accuracy. When I got a copy of the police report about an incident in which I was involved, I was amazed at how easy it was for the other person involved (the perpetrator) to manipulate the police opinions. What should have resulted in an arrest of that person turned out to be a somewhat negative report about me, the victim of the event!

When this stuff happens and we read about it, I'm convinved there are many things we do not see or know about regarding what REALLY happened.

Upvote 0