jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He'll be in Guam for about a month starting on the 15 of this month. He'll be teaching on end times prophecy. Does anyone know about his ministry. His website says nothing about his doctrinal creed or general statement of beliefs or even his background. Any info will be helpful.

Dale Martin

Jan 6, 2005
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kenneth Cox is a Seventh day Adventist, Here is a little about them, Some say because they except late a centuries prophet (Ellen White) who made "false" prophecies, or "unfulfilled" prophecies at the very least that they are a Christian Cult, But read and decide for yourself.

In Christ,

Dale

Christian apologists and countercult experts disagree on whether or not Seventh-day Adventism should be classified as, theologically, a cult of Christianity.

Some state that while SDA includes a number of doctrines that are outside the mainstraim of historic Christian theology, Seventh-day Adventists do accept the essential doctrines of the Christian faith and should thus be considered Christians. For example, the late Walter Martin, founder of the Christian Research Institute said, ...it is perfectly possible to be a Seventh-day Adventists and be a true follower of Jesus Christ despite heterodox concepts...
Walter Martin, Kingdom of the Cults (Bethany House, Minneapolis, Minnesota), Updated edition 1997, p.517. (Note: See also this interview with Walter Martin.

This is still the position taken by today's Christian Research Institute:

Though several capable Christian scholars (e.g. Anthony Hoekema, J.K. van Baalen, John Gerstner) have concluded that SDA is a non-Christian cult system, CRI has continued to assert that this is not the case. We take this position based on the content of the doctrine which was stated in an official SDA publication (1957) entitled Questions on Doctrine.

Since SDA does accept the foundational doctrines of historic Christianity (The Trinity, Christ's true deity, His bodily resurrection, etc.) we do not believe that it should be classified as a non-Christian cult.

This does not mean that we endorse the entire theological structure of SDA, since a portion of it is definitely out of the mainstream of historic Christian theology (e.g. Sabbatarianism, conditional immorality or soul sleep, annihiliation of the wicked). Though we would adamantly disagree with Adventists regarding these above mentioned doctrines, it should be added that one could hold these views and remain a believing Christian. In other words, these doctrines do not secure or necessarily inhibit salvation.
Source: Seventh-day Adventism">Christian Research Institute statement on SDA

Others point out that SDA also also includes teachings that are contrary to the gospel, and are unorthodox in nature.

Historically, evangelicals have had difficulty defining and categorizing SDA. Much SDA doctrine is biblically orthodox. Within its ranks are many true Christians, some even in positions of prominence. At various points in its history, most notably in the 1888 General Conference, the SDA church has been shaken by the biblical gospel. In the 1970s this became quite intense (Se: Paxton, Geoffrey, J., The Shaking of Adventism). Unfortunately, it produced a polarization. The church administrators generally became more entrenched in the unorthodox positions of traditional SDA, while some pastors and even whole congregations left or were asked to leave the SDA church ("From Controversy to Crisis," CRI Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 9–14). In official publications the SDA church continues to defend Ellen White legends, and maintain there was no difference in the degree of inspiration she received from that received by Bible writers (Review & Herald, 4 October 1928, p. 11; "Source of Final Appeal," Adventist Review, 3 June 1971, pp. 4–6; G. A. Irwin, Mark of the Beast, p. 1; "The Inspiration and Authority of the Ellen G. White Writings," Adventist Review, 15 July 1982, p. 3; Ministry, October 1981, p. 8; see also, Judged by the Gospel, pp. 125–30). In their June, 2000, General Conference they voted to more aggressively affirm and support the "Spirit of Prophecy through the ministry of Ellen White "(Adventist Today, [online: July 2000] ). They also teach a number of other doctrines clearly irreconcilable with the biblical gospel (see "Doctrine ," below). So long as these things continue, evangelicals must persist in questioning the status of the SDA church organization in Christianity, and much more, her claim to be God’s only true, end-time "Remnant Church."

SDA teachings most clearly contrary to the gospel and unorthodox in nature are its insistence on water baptism as an essential prerequisite to salvation, its teaching about the end time significance of sabbath observance to identification of true believers, and its doctrine of the Investigative Judgement.
Source: Watchman Fellowship profile of SDA

In effect, Seventh-day Adventism's doctrines span the range from orthodox through aberrant, heterodox, sub-orthodox and heretical.

For this reason, the publishers of Apologetics Index advice Christians not to get involved in Seventh-day Adventism, and urges those who are already part of the SDA church to instead seek out a church that teaches sound, biblical theology.

There also is a lot of confusion among Seventh-day Adventist themselves. Their problems are compounded by the fact that over the past two decades, deep divisions or factions have developed within the SDA. The Christian Research Institute states:

Those who follow Adventism closely know that the last two decades have been characterized by a deep internal conflict which has divided the denomination and left many Adventist [sic] disillusioned. Today, there are various divisions and factions within SDA. Some with that Adventism would fully enter into the evangelical mainstream, while maintaining certain Adventist distinctives. Others, the more traditional or fundamentalist Adventists often reject portions of Question on Doctrine and seek to hold on to several heresies which arose early in the Adventist movement, such as the investigative judgement, the sinful nature of Christ, and viewing Ellen G. White as the infallible interpreter of Scripture. It is the division of Adventism, who often refer to themselves as "the remnant church," or God's exclusive agent, that CRI would regard as being cultic. Some within this camp would anathematize all of Protestantism, arguing that as Sunday-keepers they will receive the mark of the beast just prior to Christ's second coming. Admisttedly, this is the extreme part of SDA, but nevertheless well-represented.

The crisis that exists within SDA today essentially centers around the investigative judgment, an unbiblical doctrine which severely compromises if not outright denies the biblical doctrine of justification by faith. Second only to the investigative judgment issue is the all-encompassing question of the inspiration and authority of the writings of Ellen G. white. The controversy which has raged regarding the writings of Mrs. White has undoubtedly shaken the entire structure of SDA.

It is out sincere hope that this 5 million member church body, which has historically been a mixture of orthodox and heretical doctrine, will move toward a more soundly biblical position and away from the doctrinal errors it has held in the past. It is our hope that the leadership of SDA will lead its people out of all forms of legalism and into the liberty that results from being justified by God's grace through faith alone (Eph. 2:8-9).
Source: Seventh-day Adventism
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/s18.html#top

You can find more at http://www.equip.org/

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Dale. What made me wonder about him was the flyer inserted into our local paper. There was something about the graphics that caused this group to come to mind. Also, there was some "wellness" seminar information included as well. It seems that about every year or two, the local SDA churches sponsor somebody to come out and put on these month-long seminars. Anyway, one of my sisters in the Lord recognized virtually all of them standing on the street corner promoting this guy.

Upvote 0

Dale Martin

Jan 6, 2005
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jlujan69 said:
Thanks Dale. What made me wonder about him was the flyer inserted into our local paper. There was something about the graphics that caused this group to come to mind. Also, there was some "wellness" seminar information included as well. It seems that about every year or two, the local SDA churches sponsor somebody to come out and put on these month-long seminars. Anyway, one of my sisters in the Lord recognized virtually all of them standing on the street corner promoting this guy.

By the way, Did you say something about Guam or was that another post that I am thinking of..

Upvote 0

BigB

Aug 21, 2019
Denver
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like to begin and say the SDA is NOT a cult.. And no i am not a member of any Church Denomination at the present time.. Rather I am a direct follower of Jesus Christ n follow only what Bible Scriptures teach ... Now let me begin and explain why I do not feel they are a cult.. This my own testimony by personal experience.. First I was raised Roman Catholic as a child.. Never followed as an adult.. I basically went into life believing in Jesus not churches.. As a young adult I went out to experience life n everything it had to offer.. Worldly as you can be.. Sinning , chasing money, parties, etc .. Got married n settled down but still chased financial wealth like most.. Was baptized in a non denominational church but never really devoted my life to Jesus .. Then a couple years ago I had some sort of an awakening .. I started researching bible history, reading many different books, watching study videos.. Thru my quest to learn the complete truth that I prayed to see God showed me the truth.. Seek n you shall find him.. And I did .. I started activist web pages about The Return Of Jesus .. Thru the bible study videos I found online the Word of God blossomed like a flower.. Scripture made sense to me finally.. Without knowing I was listening to SDA teachers I learned bible scriptures .. It wasn't until I was getting accused of being a SDA did I look into the church.. I never knew who they were .. Never was a big fan of churches.. But what they were showing me in these studies was straight out bible scripture which is all I was following .. Teachers being Kenneth Cox, Atila, and Paul Godfrey .. Did really care what denomination they were because what they taught made perfect sense to me.. It lined up perfectly with scripture .. Still study their bible study videos to this day.. Now I have watched the SDA story which was a great movie.. Learned about Ellen G White whom I never knew about .. After looking further into it I thought she was a great Christian woman n out of curiosity I purchased the great controversy .. The very first chapter about the fall of Satan told me she was NOT a prophet.. The War in Heaven did not occur in the beginning of creation, the War happened after Christ rose back to heaven after his death on the cross.. Historically speaking you can see the documentation of when the persecution started n not to mention revelations of Jesus is the revealing of end times.. Even Pastor Cox says that .. So that discredited her in my eyes .. But doesn't change the fact that the SDA church does follow scripture by doing as they are told in scripture .. I do believe she was given visions by God but not Prophetic visions .. More inspirational visions .. God was using her to setup a remnant church as spoken in bible scriptures .. She had great insight n ideas.. Ellen never wanted her books to be put on a pedestal but was more trying to inspire readers to come to Jesus n obey his Commandments n keep faith in Jesus Christ .. Which I agree with .. As a whole the SDA church I believe is a remnant church.. But don't believe they are the only remnant church .. Rather any church that follows the Commandments of God, Holy Sabbath as well n keeps their faith in Jesus n doesn't practice pagan traditions or rituals is also a remnant church.. Not many today but they are out there .. No matter what you can't build your faith n belief on a church or what a pastor says.. Fact check them with scripture .. Pastor Cox even says that.. He tells you to fact check what he says .. Bible Scriptures is the authority not a church .. No church .. Matter of fact scriptures tells us we are the church , the people.. Church buildings are house of prayer .. Ellen G White was no doubt used by God with visions n inspiration but a Prophet like Daniel or John she was not.. The gift of prophesy is more referring to those who understand bible prophecy n preach it's meaning for people to understand not nessasary one who gives Prophecy themselves .. More teachers of prophecy.. Like any church we are not going to agree with everything they teach.. But as long as the are teaching bible scriptures, keeping the commandments of God n faith in Jesus Christ ,have not brought pagan teachings into it then it's a remnant church.. SDA advocates vegan eating which is very healthy no doubt, but scriptures tells me Certain Animals are clean for our consumption .. So no I am not a vegan nor never will be.. As long as it is biblically correct then that's all that matters regardless of what any church says.. So to conclude I feel the SDA Church is a great church to attend.. Ellen a Whites writings are inspirational but your authority must only come from the Holy Bible .. No where else nor any other writings .. Rather use other books as an inspiration to study bible scriptures .. Nothing wrong with reading them just as long as you don't take what was written n hold it up to are above the Holy Bible.. Thanks for reading !

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CHristian Research Institute labels any denomination that does not believe exactly as they do a "cult". It's like C.A.R.M but Hank Hannagraph has more charm than CARM.

Hardly. Granted he has taken a pretty big baseball bat to the Word of Faith movement....but this is an unfair characterization of his ministry.

Upvote 0

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is 14-years-old.

SDA are no different to Mormons.
You obviously don't know anything about either. SDAs don't believe we become a god and rule over our own planet and have endless celestial sex with our "spirit wives" to "produce souls for our own planet of human babies".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,875.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You obviously don't know anything about either. SDAs don't believe we become a god and rule over our own planet and have endless celestial sex with our "spirit wives" to "produce souls for our own planet of human babies".
They both believe in the works of false prophets, so everything else after that is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They both believe in the works of false prophets, so everything else after that is irrelevant.
Can you point to a single prediction EGW made that didn't happen?
If you say she predicted Jesus would come in 1844, that would be absolute nonsense. She made no such prediction.

Upvote 0