Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Karl Marx

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AP26, Dec 30, 2012.

1. bricklayer

bricklayer New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Similar but not identical.

2. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Drift and Doubt

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Green
    Faith:
    Humanist
    Marx was an internationalist why would he support Jewish nationalism?

3. AP26

AP26 Guest

I have my own theory for that question. That's just something you'd have to make your own conclusion about.

The ties are there between him and Jewish nationalism though.

4. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Drift and Doubt

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Green
    Faith:
    Humanist
    I see no evidence that he was a Jewish nationalist. That he may have had friends who thought that way doesn't imply he agreed with them. I have friends who are Republicans for example. Doesn't mean I support the Republican party.

5. Redac

Redac Regular Member

Faith:
    Seeker
    I always got the impression that being Jewish was a rather incidental thing for Marx, and that he had a problem with the Jewish population identifying themselves ethno-religiously in that it was a barrier to the development to developing class consciousness among the working class.

If you actually read the Communist Manifesto (as you claim you have), you would recall the bit about how the working class has no country or nation.

I have no idea where you're getting these ideas that he was a Jewish nationalist.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. Omnia sunt communia

Omnia sunt communia New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Seeker
    Same goes for Jesus. Christian thought has spawned some of the most totalitarian regimes in history, such as Jean Calvins goverment in Geneva. Countless millions have been oppressed and died in the hands of the church and so called "christians".

That does not mean that the ideas of Jesus was evil. They were not. Was Jesus preached was good. And so was the teachings of Marx.

Neither Jesus or Marx can be judged on the basis of what christian churches and communist parties have practised.

I don't see how you could possibly be a christian if you don't accept the according to needs principle.