Just picked up Orthodox book

S

SeventhValley

I just picked up Mountain of Silence.

The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality: Kyriacos C. Markides: 9780385500920: Amazon.com: Books

" An acclaimed expert in Christian mysticism travels to a monastery high in the Trodos Mountains of Cyprus and offers a fascinating look at the Greek Orthodox approach to spirituality"

So far he seems to be more a home sick Cypriot than someone newly discovering Orthodoxy but has provided some interesting accounts in the first chapters of Elder Paisios and one of the monks who studied under him a Father Maximos who plays a big part in the book apparently.

Overall it is pretty good so far.

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I recently purchased this book and will begin reading it as soon as I finish The Sayings of the Desert Fathers by Benedicta Ward.

Most reviews I've read of The Mountain of Silence rant more about the author but rave about the sayings of Father Maximos (who in reality is Metropolitan Athanasius of Limassol, Cyprus).

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

So far this book seems just like Autobiography of a Yogi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia about Paramahansa Yogananda.

Both have things like miracles, saints appearing, healings. Jesus said the devil cannot heal or do good things so it confuses me as to why good things like healings happen in most major religions.

Is it all false? Or dose faith tap into something all religions can have?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So far this book seems just like Autobiography of a Yogi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia about Paramahansa Yogananda.

Both have things like miracles, saints appearing, healings. Jesus said the devil cannot heal or do good things so it confuses me as to why good things like healings happen in most major religions.

Is it all false? Or dose faith tap into something all religions can have?

Good things do happen among many people at various times. Unless these are deceptions like those of Simon the Magician, we should discern & notice what is good & be glad for those whose suffering is relieved (I would think).

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Philippians 4:8 New King James Version (NKJV)

Meditate on These Things

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟8,893.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I've read both books from the author, neither of which I would classify as an "...autobiography of a yogi."
There's an absolute ton of information on the internet about anything you'd care to research. The trick therefore is, to use a political phrase, vetting the sources of information one regurgitates. In other words; Wickipedia is not one of them. Ask your priest or bishop (if the bishop is available) about the books by Dr. Kyriakos.

:liturgy:
a sinful and unworthy servant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums