Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Isn't it logically impossible for one being to be simultaneously all-merciful and all-just, without favoring some actions over other actions, thus contradicting itself as an absolute?

That, then, being would now be subjectively merciful and just, based on its own criteria.

Throwing around absolute and all encompassing phrases, would appear to be dishonest, as it is now "my kind of justice and mercy, based on me, my views, my conditions and what I accept".

And that's what reality-TV judges do.

(The phrase "_______'s brand of justice", comes to mind.)

Parth

Apr 5, 2012
✟7,649.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. Reading the bible we see a distinct pattern emerging from the judgments brought by God upon various peoples:

• God declares an annihilation form of judgment to stamp out a cancer
  • The judgments are for public recognition of extreme sin
  • Judgment is preceded by warning and/or long periods of exposure to the truth and time to repent
  • Any and all ‘innocent’ adults are given a way of escape with their families; sometimes all given a way to avoid judgment via repentance or leaving a particular region. It should also be noted that expulsion from a land was the most common judgment, not extermination. This pattern goes all the way back to the ejection of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden (cf. Gen. 3:24)
  • Someone is almost always saved (redeemed) from the evil culture
  • The judgment of God falls

Perhaps this will help: Is the God of the Old Testament a Merciless Monster? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it logically impossible for one being to be simultaneously all-merciful and all-just, without favoring some actions over other actions, thus contradicting itself as an absolute?

That, then, being would now be subjectively merciful and just, based on its own criteria.

Throwing around absolute and all encompassing phrases, would appear to be dishonest, as it is now "my kind of justice and mercy, based on me, my views, my conditions and what I accept".

And that's what reality-TV judges do.

(The phrase "_______'s brand of justice", comes to mind.)
As a parent you want to be both just (fair/consistent) and merciful to all your children. This is really hard to do, but for God it is totally achievable. God is doing all he can to help, but will not force His help on you (take your free will away). If a person continues to refuse God’s help (a form of Charity that is merciful/gracious/Loving/forgiving) there comes a point God can do no more and that person will never accept God’s help (only God knows when a person reaches this point), so that person then takes on a lesser objective of providing opportunities for those that still might change.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think we do ill to the right concept of justice when we view justice as a dry or even punitive thing.

Biblically justice has far less to do with punishing evil doers and far more to do with setting things aright, i.e. justice for the poor, justice for the oppressed, etc. God seems to be far more interested in this sort of justice, and reveals it in the ancient words of the Law and Prophets; and more importantly is revealed to us through Jesus.

The Apostle Paul says that the justice of God is revealed through the Gospel, the message of good news to the poor, the oppressed and the sinner. This is not "justice" by which we are punished, but justice by which men are made just.

Justice and mercy are not apart, but are in conjunction; it is by the mercy of God that He is just and it is by the justice of God that He is merciful; for it is by the justice of God through the Gospel that He, by His mercy, rescues us and sets us right with Him and it is by His mercy that He reaches down to us, justifying us and setting us right.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This reminds me of the command in Matthew 5:48, "You therefore must be perfect, as your Heavenly Father is perfect."

He is merciful and He is just, but He's also the standard on which those two are defined, according to His nature.

Upvote 0