Just for final clarification yes, we evolved from monkeys.

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure that just breaks his heart.

When the day comes that we Christians owe you guys a scientific explanation for our beliefs, then I'd say we missed the Rapture somehow.
I'm glad you concede the fact there are no good reasons to believe.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
I have noticed when creationists do not understand the scientific method that was used to come to a conclusion they will often claim that a concept is "assumed". When a creationist claims that something is assumed I read it as meaning that they do not understand how a conclusion was reached.

Exactly. The poor clods (not that we have any of those here, of course...!) don't/won't seem to grasp that ALL hypotheses formed are an "assumption" of one stripe or another.

It was an "assumption" of Copernicus that the planets move around the sun in the manner they do. It was an "assumption" by Pasteur and others that infectious diseases were caused by microbes. It is an "assumption" that flight 'works' due to differential air pressures created around an aerofoil.

The key point is that these "assumptions" are then tested against the evidence.....! Over and over again, in the pursuit of showing the "assumptions" to be false. As the "assumptions" continue to resist these attempts, our confidence increases, to the point that they eventually become accepted as scientific theories.

In the case of evolutionary theory, these attempts to falsify have been going on for more than 150 years, resulting in one of the most robust theories known to mankind....!

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. The poor clods (not that we have any of those here, of course...!) don't/won't seem to grasp that ALL hypotheses formed are an "assumption" of one stripe or another.

It was an "assumption" of Copernicus that the planets move around the sun in the manner they do. It was an "assumption" by Pasteur and others that infectious diseases were caused by microbes. It is an "assumption" that flight 'works' due to differential air pressures created around an aerofoil.

The key point is that these "assumptions" are then tested against the evidence.....! Over and over again, in the pursuit of showing the "assumptions" to be false. As the "assumptions" continue to resist these attempts, our confidence increases, to the point that they eventually become accepted as scientific theories.

In the case of evolutionary theory, these attempts to falsify have been going on for more than 150 years, resulting in one of the most robust theories known to mankind....!

Well said!!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When a creationist claims that something is assumed I read it as meaning that they do not understand how a conclusion was reached.
We don't rig votes to reach them though.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted its data."
Henry M. Morris

Yes, no jumping to conclusions there, of course............
And AV was complaining about the demotion of Pluto again. Even though it has been shown to him time after time that the vote was not rigged. It is his way of admitting that he is wrong.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
"When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted its data."
Henry M. Morris

Actually when science and the Bible differ, it is usually the case that it is a particular interpretation of the Bible that is wrong.

Upvote 0

Tjufsen

Feb 25, 2023
Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I see this all the time, it's become one of those knee jerk responses, but we did infact evolve from monkeys if evolution is true.

This may seem pedantic, but by definition the common ancestor between monkeys and humans was infact a monkey, we would call it a monkey if we saw it today, it would fit all the criteria for being a monkey. it wasn't a modern one, but it was still a monkey.

The split from monkeys happened after new world and old world monkeys split, so humans are descended from old world monkeys wich would make our ancestors monkeys.

No, it`s true we came from monkeys, they`re animals and we can`t mate with them, we`re humans and evolved seperatly, we share some traits yes, because it`s logical by design, but like I said, monkeys are animals, and we`re humans

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
No, it`s true we came from monkeys, they`re animals and we can`t mate with them, we`re humans and evolved seperatly, we share some traits yes, because it`s logical by design, but like I said, monkeys are animals, and we`re humans

But humans ARE animals, by definition.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread has been inactive for 7 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
No, look at yourself in the mirror, what do you see, a human, or an animal?

A human. Which is a type of animal. The only thing that separates us from other animals is the fact that we're intelligent enough to say that we're different to other animals.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, look at yourself in the mirror, what do you see, a human, or an animal?
The terms/classifications aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status