United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Curious to see if I'm the only one.
Apparently OBOB has been taken out of the "New Posts" lineup. After they changed the Home Page (which I don't like), they had problems with people flaming Catholics. Rather than fix that with existing rules etc. they just removed OBOB so that if you now click "New Posts", OBOB never shows up. You get every other forum, just not this one.
To me, it's annoying. Anyone else? Or just me?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. I agree with every word you posted. I won't say more than that. And I could...
Curious to see if I'm the only one.
Apparently OBOB has been taken out of the "New Posts" lineup. After they changed the Home Page (which I don't like), they had problems with people flaming Catholics. Rather than fix that with existing rules etc. they just removed OBOB so that if you now click "New Posts", OBOB never shows up. You get every other forum, just not this one.
To me, it's annoying. Anyone else? Or just me?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It had to be taken out because people are coming and clicking on it. And actually it was taken out by request a while ago and it popped back on when they changed the format of the forms.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If you guys want to see if the general membership wants it back that's fine but realize you're going to have a lot of flames. And you have very very few mods at CF anymore. So it'll be incumbent upon the membership to not respond to the flames and report them. But you don't have a lot of mods to get to reports very fast.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It just seems like the original forum, OBOB, is being put on the back burner and has more restrictions as far as what goes where than any of the other forums. It really feels like we are being pushed out and treated differently than other forums from my pov. We are segregated.
If you guys want to see if the general membership wants it back that's fine but realize you're going to have a lot of flames. And you have very very few mods at CF anymore. So it'll be incumbent upon the membership to not respond to the flames and report them. But you don't have a lot of mods to get to reports very fast.

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
yes, we were taken off the main page by staff at our request.
We made that request because we got quite a few people who openly flamed us without realizing which forum they were posting in.

As such it was vastly unfair to the majority of posters (who were not Catholic) to find themselves suddenly posting in a Catholic forum, when they thought they were signing up for a Protestant or an even an Athiest site. They felt as though they had been lured into a place that they wouldn't ordinarily have posted in, and then were repremanded for being where they wouldn't ordinarily have chosen to go.

If there had been an intermediary sign, such as "You are about to enter a (blank) forum. Please click here to proceed", then they would have been alerted to the situation. But as it was, they were in here and posting against our forum rules before they realized what had happened.

It made us mad,
it made them mad,
and it made more work for the mods to clean up the mess.

So that's why our threads aren't featured on the main page.
You're welcome.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Would you like a poll of obob members to see if they majority wants that function back.

absolutely not! we need another poll like we need a hole in the head.:swoon:

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It just seems like the original forum, OBOB, is being put on the back burner and has more restrictions as far as what goes where than any of the other forums. It really feels like we are being pushed out and treated differently than other forums from my pov. We are segregated.
Yeah I don't usually let things get under my skin, but this does feel like "Oh those Catholics, they don't matter."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am fine with just seeing how it goes and seeing if people want it back...should not need a poll for that. How about we just revisit it in a couple weeks.

Let's see if people like how things go without it.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
yes, we were taken off the main page by staff at our request.
We made that request because we got quite a few people who openly flamed us without realizing which forum they were posting in.

As such it was vastly unfair to the majority of posters (who were not Catholic) to find themselves suddenly posting in a Catholic forum, when they thought they were signing up for a Protestant or an even an Athiest site. They felt as though they had been lured into a place that they wouldn't ordinarily have posted in, and then were repremanded for being where they wouldn't ordinarily have chosen to go.

If there had been an intermediary sign, such as "You are about to enter a (blank) forum. Please click here to proceed", then they would have been alerted to the situation. But as it was, they were in here and posting against our forum rules before they realized what had happened.

It made us mad,
it made them mad,
and it made more work for the mods to clean up the mess.

So that's why our threads aren't featured on the main page.
You're welcome.
It was a bad move. You're welcome.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah I don't usually let things get under my skin, but this does feel like "Oh those Catholics, they don't matter."

Actually I can say with 100% confidence that the logic was that we do matter and what would make it so we did not have to deal with attacks.

Just to be clear that was the logic.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually I can say with 100% confidence that the logic was that we do matter and what would make it so we did not have to deal with attacks.

Just to be clear that was the logic.
Well as I've said before, the new Home Page is awful. It should go back to just being Forums. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I knew nothing of a decision being made. The threads is what draws people to the board. Good and bad. See something you don't like? Don't argue. Report it.
I didn't see anything about it either. Kind of smells like a decision made by a very few.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The other forums are featured. Seriously, we aren't General Theology or American Politics. Just seems like we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.
Well ideally yes but that has not been the case with things like this for 10 years.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We had many good noncatholic christians adding to our forum. Those that don't, report. Threads bring traffic and interest. Are we hiding our light now? Feeling like the salt that is being trampled underfoot.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is unfair. The other forums definitely have an advantage that we do not.
I didn't see anything about it either. Kind of smells like a decision made by a very few.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.