Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My devotional today (from My Utmost) was one of the most convicting I've read in a while. The question in the second paragraph really floored me ...

Romans 2:1 says that the one who criticizes another is guilty of the very same thing. God looks not only at the act itself, but also at the possibility of committing it, which He sees by looking at our hearts ... Do we really believe the statement that says we criticize in others the very things we are guilty of ourselves? The reason we see hypocrisy, deceit, and a lack of genuineness in others is that they are all in our own hearts. The greatest characteristic of a saint is humility, as evidenced by being able to say honestly and humbly, “Yes, all those, as well as other evils, would have been exhibited in me if it were not for the grace of God. Therefore, I have no right to judge.”

Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged” // Matthew 7:1. He went on to say, in effect, “If you do judge, you will be judged in exactly the same way.” Who of us would dare to stand before God and say, “My God, judge me as I have judged others”? We have judged others as sinners ... if God should judge us in the same way, we would be condemned to hell. Yet God judges us on the basis of the miraculous atonement by the Cross of Christ.

Reactions: Oddish

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Amen, Derrick.:)

The more I grow in Christ and the more I learn about Him the more hypocrisy I see within my own heart. I look at someone and think, "Wow, how could they do something like that?" and then realize that I'm no better. I could commit the same sin and that's when I have to refocus my heart and ask God to work on me in that area.

When we see others, especially nonbelievers, commit crimes and various sins it's also a rude awakening to what we've been saved from. If we didn't know Christ would we be thieves or murderers or rapists? It's a scary thought and a humbling reminder that Jesus is the ONLY hope we have of salvation and of living a life of service and love.

Reactions: Oddish
Upvote 0

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The more I grow in Christ and the more I learn about Him the more hypocrisy I see within my own heart. I look at someone and think, "Wow, how could they do something like that?" and then realize that I'm no better. I could commit the same sin and that's when I have to refocus my heart and ask God to work on me in that area.

When we see others, especially nonbelievers, commit crimes and various sins it's also a rude awakening to what we've been saved from. If we didn't know Christ would we be thieves or murderers or rapists? It's a scary thought and a humbling reminder that Jesus is the ONLY hope we have of salvation and of living a life of service and love.

It is indeed a scary thought and a humbling reminder. Personally, I shudder to think of where I'd be if not for His grace. Thanks for the comments! :)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Probably not.... lol, I don't know Christ and I still care about people the same.. if not more than when I did.

Upvote 0

Reneemo4

Hello God? It's me, Renee...
May 25, 2011
Ontario, Canada
✟16,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
My devotional today (from My Utmost) was one of the most convicting I've read in a while. The question in the second paragraph really floored me ...

Romans 2:1 says that the one who criticizes another is guilty of the very same thing. God looks not only at the act itself, but also at the possibility of committing it, which He sees by looking at our hearts ... Do we really believe the statement that says we criticize in others the very things we are guilty of ourselves? The reason we see hypocrisy, deceit, and a lack of genuineness in others is that they are all in our own hearts. The greatest characteristic of a saint is humility, as evidenced by being able to say honestly and humbly, “Yes, all those, as well as other evils, would have been exhibited in me if it were not for the grace of God. Therefore, I have no right to judge.”

Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged” // Matthew 7:1. He went on to say, in effect, “If you do judge, you will be judged in exactly the same way.” Who of us would dare to stand before God and say, “My God, judge me as I have judged others”? We have judged others as sinners ... if God should judge us in the same way, we would be condemned to hell. Yet God judges us on the basis of the miraculous atonement by the Cross of Christ.

Wow, God's just reminding everywhere I turn the last two days about this. I'm having a really REALLY hard time at work with dealing with people who I just can't seem to find a Christian attitude towards. My workplace is just so of-the-world and there is so much drama-rama, negativity, etc, that by the end of the day I'm miserable. I spend as much time as I can just being on CF keeping up with you guys, and not getting involved, etc. And today I was very quick to judge and condemn, even when my heart knew I was doing wrong. Thank God - SO MUCH - that He's quick to forgive me when I laid it all down!!

Reactions: Revived
Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian

On Romans 2. That it follows on from the list of sins at the end of Romans 1 and then in Romans 2:17-28 - gives me the impression that these verses are addressing specific persons or groups of persons.

People who are innocent of a specific crime judge others all the time. Even in our justice system. A jury of 12 who "judges" a person to be guilty is not neccessarily guilty themselves.

The interpretation of this verse seems to imply that if I am a completely honest person who never lies - I would never be able to pick up lies in others.

While it is true that we sometimes come to the incorrect conclusions or make assumptions about others based on our own twisted outlook/views/motives - it is not neccessarily so.

If (A) and (B) are complete opposites with no chance of being harmonized by any stretch -

If I hear someone say A then in the next minute say B

Am I reflecting my own deceit simply by comming to the conclusion that *they* are being deceitful?

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Revived,

to follow up on my earlier post:

If I, as a current smoker - were to preach against smoking...

Does this make me a hypocrite?

Not neccessarily - if I'm not pretending to be something I am not but simply recognising how harmful it is.

Now, if I, as a current smoker - preach with authority on how to quit and how I did it...

This would certainly make me a hypocrite. If someone comes to this obvious and truthful conclusion - how does it reflect their own hypocrisy?

The story of Jesus and how he first advised the judger to remove the beam out of his own eye *before* attempting to help another comes to mind. He couldn't see correctly when he was guitly of the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Revived

Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revived,

to follow up on my earlier post:

If I, as a current smoker - were to preach against smoking...

Does this make me a hypocrite?

Not neccessarily - if I'm not pretending to be something I am not but simply recognising how harmful it is.

Now, if I, as a current smoker - preach with authority on how to quit and how I did it...

This would certainly make me a hypocrite. If someone comes to this obvious and truthful conclusion - how does it reflect their own hypocrisy?

The story of Jesus and how he first advised the judger to remove the beam out of his own eye *before* attempting to help another comes to mind. He couldn't see correctly when he was guitly of the same thing.

Not sure I'm following you Strav. Can you summarize your points?

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Judge not lest ye be judged is one of the most misquoted passages in the Bible. Jesus wasn't telling us not to judge but that we are not to judge as hypocrites and there are numerous admonitions in the Bible commanding the man of God TO judge: JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED and CAST THE FIRST STONE

One of the problems in judgment is that there are many who profess Christ but whose hearts are far from Him. They use judgment not to further the kingdom of God but to put down others and perhaps to build themselves up ... their judgment is carnal in nature (like Bertha 'better than you' in the Ray Stevens song Mississippi Squirrel Revival). The man who is truly of God uses judgment to help protect himself, the church and help those who are struggling in their walk with the Lord ... their judgment is righteous in nature.

Upvote 0

Revived

Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Judge not lest ye be judged is one of the most misquoted passages in the Bible. Jesus wasn't telling us not to judge but that we are not to judge as hypocrites and there are numerous admonitions in the Bible commanding the man of God TO judge: JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED and CAST THE FIRST STONE

One of the problems in judgment is that there are many who profess Christ but whose hearts are far from Him. They use judgment not to further the kingdom of God but to put down others and perhaps to build themselves up ... their judgment is carnal in nature (like Bertha 'better than you' in the Ray Stevens song Mississippi Squirrel Revival). The man who is truly of God uses judgment to help protect himself, the church and help those who are struggling in their walk with the Lord ... their judgment is righteous in nature.

Not sure I'm following you either. Are you refuting the statements made in the quoted devotional?

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Idk about anybody else, but I'm a huge fan of the "mind your own dang business!" camp.

Seriously though, you aren't going to get anywhere by judging and pointing out flaws in other people and criticizing them or otherwise reprimanding them. Whether you're being a hypocrite or not. If you can't lead passively by example, you can't lead at all.

In other words, +1 for the OP.

Reactions: Revived
Upvote 0

Revived

Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Idk about anybody else, but I'm a huge fan of the "mind your own dang business!" camp.

Seriously though, you aren't going to get anywhere by judging and pointing out flaws in other people and criticizing them or otherwise reprimanding them. Whether you're being a hypocrite or not. If you can't lead passively by example, you can't lead at all.

In other words, +1 for the OP.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stravinsk

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not sure I'm following you Strav. Can you summarize your points?

Ok, the interpretation you are reading (My utmost) on this passage seems to cut out all context from surrounding passages and drive home a point that I do not believe is being made.

That point being: "On whichever point you condemn another, you are condeming yourself - for you who judge do the same things".

Let's assume that this passage, out of context, is universally true.

In Galations 2:11 - Paul opposes Cephas and says he is condemned. Is this not a judgement? Therefore, according to the above Scripture filter - Paul is as guilty as what he says Cephas is.

In 1 Corinthians 5: Paul makes a judgement about someone committing sexual immorality - and even says that they should have been put out of fellowship. Therefore, according to the above Scripture filter, Paul is as guilty of having his father's wife as the person he judges for that same sin.

To be clear - that certain understanding(that you are quoting from Utmost) of Romans 2 is specific sins - not sin in general. Indeed, reading the passage alone out of context seems to suggest the Utmost take on it.

So - for example:

Do I condenm stealing? Yes. If I am on a jury and have to decide if someone is guilty (ie: make a judgement) - and think he is, will I do so? Yes.

Does this mean I am currently a theif? No.

The critical conclusion:

Does this mean I am a righteous person? Absolutely not! Even if I have never stolen anything in my life (I have) - I am still guitly of other sins. But that is besides the point in this passage. Just because, for example, one can rightly perceive deception, or that someone is a theif or whatever it is - does *not* - by default - make you one.

Upvote 0

Revived

Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, the interpretation you are reading (My utmost) on this passage seems to cut out all context from surrounding passages and drive home a point that I do not believe is being made.

That point being: "On whichever point you condemn another, you are condeming yourself - for you who judge do the same things".

Let's assume that this passage, out of context, is universally true.

In Galations 2:11 - Paul opposes Cephas and says he is condemned. Is this not a judgement? Therefore, according to the above Scripture filter - Paul is as guilty as what he says Cephas is.

In 1 Corinthians 5: Paul makes a judgement about someone committing sexual immorality - and even says that they should have been put out of fellowship. Therefore, according to the above Scripture filter, Paul is as guilty of having his father's wife as the person he judges for that same sin.

To be clear - that certain understanding of Romans 2 is specific sins - not sin in general.

So - for example:

Do I condenm stealing? Yes. If I am on a jury and have to decide if someone is guilty (ie: make a judgement) - and think he is, will I do so? Yes.

Does this mean I am currently a theif? No.

The critical conclusion:

Does this mean I am a righteous person? Absolutely not! Even if I have never stolen anything in my life (I have) - I am still guitly of other sins. But that is besides the point in this passage. Just because, for example, one can rightly perceive deception, or that someone is a theif or whatever it is - does *not* - by default - make you one.

Interesting points ... definitely something to think about. Thanks for the comments!

Upvote 0

HazelWings

There is no one like our God
Apr 17, 2011
Oregon
Visit site
✟18,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The reason we see hypocrisy, deceit, and a lack of genuineness in others is that they are all in our own hearts.

Just because, for example, one can rightly perceive deception, or that someone is a theif or whatever it is - does *not* - by default - make you one.

I think it comes down to interpretation. My interpretation wasn't about a specific sin, only that we are naturally sinful by human nature.

Reactions: Rhye
Upvote 0