Judged By Your Works

Brotherbrown

Jul 3, 2007
✟2,273.00
Faith
Christian
JUDGED BY WORKS
Gal 5:22-25
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
1 Cor 3:12-14
12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
1 Tim 5:24-25
24 Some men's sins are clearly evident, preceding them to judgment, but those of some men follow later.
25 Likewise, the good works of some are clearly evident, and those that are otherwise cannot be hidden.
Titus 3:14
14 And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful.
Heb 6:1
1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
Heb 10:24
24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
James 2:14
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
James 2:17
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
James 2:18
18 But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
James 2:19-20
19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe-- and tremble!
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
James 2:24
24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
James 2:26
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Matt 6:1-8
1 "Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 "Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
3 "But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 "that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
5 "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
6 "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
7 "And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
Matt 25:33-46
33 "And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 "Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 'for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;
36 'I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'
37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
38 'When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?
39 'Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'
40 "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'
41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 'for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;
43 'I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.'
44 "Then they also will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?'
45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'
46 "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
1 Pet 4:6
6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
Rev 20:12
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
We will be judged by our works but our works will not get us there. So how does this work?
Well the word says to prove yourself to God. It also says to examine yourself as to whether you are in the faith. So we try to do the things that Jesus tells us to do. And if we are walking according to the word of faith we see all these commandments that Jesus has give us. Now although we can not do enough because everyone falls short of the glory of God. Depending on how hard we try, determines how much mercy God will show us in our attempt to obey Him. Now our works dont get us there, but our works gets us mercy. And mercy conbined with our works does get us there.

bsd13

Jan 31, 2008
North of Boston Ma
✟1,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It would be much easier to read what you have to say if you'd use a few line breaks here and there. The space is free, this isn't like paper where you're throwing away money and resources by leaving some white space.

I'm amazed as I read various threads started by you that your entire understanding of scripture seems based in law with very little understanding (or maybe it's very little acknowledgment) of grace.

Yes, people are judged by their works IF they are not saved. A sign of salvation is our (good) works, but our works are not the cause of salvation. Further if we lack good works that does not mean that we lack salvation. That takes trust in Christ, the living God...

It does not take works of any kind. Again, works are evidence of salvation, but not necessary for it.

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
JUDGED BY WORKS
We will be judged by our works but our works will not get us there. So how does this work?
Well the word says to prove yourself to God. It also says to examine yourself as to whether you are in the faith. So we try to do the things that Jesus tells us to do. And if we are walking according to the word of faith we see all these commandments that Jesus has give us. Now although we can not do enough because everyone falls short of the glory of God. Depending on how hard we try, determines how much mercy God will show us in our attempt to obey Him. Now our works dont get us there, but our works gets us mercy. And mercy conbined with our works does get us there.

There is no trying or doing the best we can. There is looking to the author & finisher of our faith to help us lay aside every weight & sin so we can run that race to attend the Marriage Supper as a vessel unto honour.

If we work to obtain our salvation, then we are building on that foundation dead works that deny Him as being that SAviour. That would be a no no.

Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Romans 4:1What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

So salvation is never at stake by what we build on that foundation, but as saved believers, we shall be judged by the works built on that foundation.

1 Corinthians 3:10-23 KJV - According to the grace of God which is - Bible Gateway

Those not found ready & abiding in Him will find themselves left behind as vessels unto dishonour in His House for not looking to Him for help to depart from iniquity.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Luke 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not....45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; 46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.....49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

So the race to run is for the high prize of our calling to attend the Marriage Supper when the Bridegroom comes for the ready bride.

Hebrews 12 KJV - Wherefore seeing we also are compassed - Bible Gateway

1 Corinthians 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

So yes.... we will be judged by our works on what we build on that foundation, but it is not to get us to Heaven as if it is needed to be saved, but to run as one that is saved and yet to obtain the high prize of our calling to attend the Marriage Supper of the Lamb in His honour as vessels unto honour by faith in the Son of God.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the Bible says we will be judged by our works, it is mostly misunderstood. Works will not get you to Heaven and faith is dead without works.

When we get to Heaven - all our works will be put through the fire. What is burned up (things done for selfish reasons or to use people, etc) will be burned up - we will not lose salvation, but lose rewards. What is left is what we will receive our rewards for.

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the Bible says we will be judged by our works, it is mostly misunderstood. Works will not get you to Heaven

I agree.

and faith is dead without works.

That is a common misuse of the phrase in christianity so I am not surprised that you have not discerned its actual application in the Book of James.

James was addressing a church of believers that were showing favouritism to the rich and despising the poor. They were even verbally applying faith in His Providence after service to the departing poor to "be warmed and to be filled" as if showing faith that in God's Providence that HE will do this towards the poor and yet the church of believers were unwilling to despense from the bounty collected after service to tend to the immediate needs of the poor that were about to perish from the elements & starvation is hardly showing faith in His Porvidence to the poor at all.

Hence it was their faith in His Providence to the poor that in the eyes of the poor, that faith was dead as the church was not leading by example.

The church of believers were not justified nor righteous nor in the right for verbally applying faith in His Providence to the departing poor when they were doing so just to get out of helping the poor because they were despising them.

They think they can get away from doing that but James told them that they are not fooling the poor at all, because the poor can clearly see that the church of believers' faith in His Providence was dead and that kind of faith being given to the poor verbally, does not profit the poor nor save the poor that are about to perish seeing how that church had failed to lead by example.

So there are different kids of faith and application thereof.

There is faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

There is faith in His Providence.

They are not one and the same.

James referenced Abraham in regards to that particular faith in His Providence.

Genesis 22: 8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.... 14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

That reference to Abraham and his naming of that place is to testify of Abraham's faith in God's Providence.

That does not mean that these church of believers were not saved. It just means that those that speak of faith in His Providence, should lead by example for others to see that faith in His Providence.

When we get to Heaven - all our works will be put through the fire. What is burned up (things done for selfish reasons or to use people, etc) will be burned up - we will not lose salvation, but lose rewards. What is left is what we will receive our rewards for.

Rewards such as crowns are not the only thing that will be lost, but being a vessel unto honour in His House to be received at the Marriage Supper is since no vessel unto dishonour will be there for that celebration, even though they are still of His House.

Why the Pre tribulationa Rapture is when God will excommunicate those not ready as not found abiding in Him & why they are still in His House.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7731022/

Upvote 0