Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PAINESVILLE, Ohio — A judge on Thursday ordered a Salvation Army worker who stole a holiday kettle containing about $250 to spend the night homeless.

Nathen Smith, 28, was to spend the night anywhere but a house, said Municipal Judge Michael Cicconetti. Smith was fitted with a GPS device to track his moves.

"My initial reaction was, 'Wow.' But I don't think the sentence is too harsh," said Smith, who expected to spend Thursday night in a homeless shelter. "I can see the judge's point because what I did, I shouldn't have done. Now I've got to pay the consequences."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325464,00.html

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if the judge ordered this guy to spend a month homeless?

There would be a lot more disagreement with that sentence on this forum.

Crime is never the fault of the one who does it...the victim was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so get over it.

That sound familiar?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What if the judge ordered this guy to spend a month homeless?

There would be a lot more disagreement with that sentence on this forum.

Crime is never the fault of the one who does it...the victim was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so get over it.

That sound familiar?
I'm for a month but a day just seem like nothing .

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, he could almost totally avoid the public humiliation by spending the night out on the town. I konw that's what I'd do. That said, he deserves more than one night as a homeless person.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As creative as this sentence may be, I doubt it will have the intended effect. Unlike a real homeless person, this guy knows that no harm will come to him. If he were to become sick or injured as a result of such forced homelessness, I'm sure he'd win enough from the lawsuit to buy two or three homes.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
When we were kids, we'd ride the bus into New York City. Because the busses didn't run all night, we'd usually have about six or seven hours to kill until they started running again in the morning.

We'd just wander around the city and hang out.

It was a blast.

If somebody had told us that that was a punishment, we'd spend every waking hour making up ways to get into trouble to get punished like that.

The truth is, the way it's written, there's nothing to prevent this guy from grabbing a couple of buddies and a cooler of beer and a radio and going out into the woods somewhere to party.

A better punishment would have been 200 hours working at a homeless shelter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums