Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The state of Kentucky must give millions of dollars in tax subsidies to a Noah’s Ark theme park owned by a creationist ministry, even though that ministry refuses to comply with the state’s request not to engage in hiring discrimination, according to an opinion by a George W. Bush appointee to the federal bench. Under Judge Gregory Van Tatenhove’s opinion, the creationist group Answers in Genesis (AiG) stands to gain up to $18 million.

Well, that can't be right. The government is all part of conspiracy to hold down creationists and onlky does things to support evolutionism.

Because reasons.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The state of Kentucky must give millions of dollars in tax subsidies to a Noah’s Ark theme park owned by a creationist ministry, even though that ministry refuses to comply with the state’s request not to engage in hiring discrimination, according to an opinion by a George W. Bush appointee to the federal bench. Under Judge Gregory Van Tatenhove’s opinion, the creationist group Answers in Genesis (AiG) stands to gain up to $18 million.
And more importantly what has this to do with creation/evolution?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
And more importantly what has this to do with creation/evolution?
owned by a creationist ministry

Admittedly not much about the merits of the arguments for either side, but neither is a lot of what goes on in this folder.

Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
owned by a creationist ministry

Admittedly not much about the merits of the arguments for either side, but neither is a lot of what goes on in this folder.
Ah my bad. Responding without fully reading:doh:

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Kinda like taking our money to fund SETI and abortions, isn't it?

How does it feel?

I'm sure we could all talk about government programs we don't like.

The real question is about legality and whether this case was adjudicated correctly.

(PS Federal law prevents 'taking our money' to fund abortions for the past 40 years.)

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
:doh: Talk about an activist judge!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Kinda like taking our money to fund SETI and abortions, isn't it?

How does it feel?

Your money doesn't fund abortions, AV -- didn't you know that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
States with satanic hiring practices can go to hell.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
States with satanic hiring practices can go to hell.

I'm sure it's not what you mean, but state governments all adhere to nondiscrimination policies with respect to religion, so all states will hire Satanists.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just the clinics/hospitals where they're performed ... right? ;)

I didn't realize you were so anti-hospital... but I probably should have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found another article. HERE

Steve Beshear, then the Democratic governor of Kentucky, decided in 2014 that the project wouldn’t be eligible for certain tax breaks after learning that the park would “be an extension of (Answers in Genesis’) ministry” and would hire only Christians.

The church then filed a lawsuit alleging violations of its constitutional rights, and Judge Tatenhove agreed in this week’s ruling that the state had infringed on the group’s First Amendment protections by saying it wasn’t eligible for upwards of $18 million in credit.

“The court finds that the Commonwealth’s exclusion of AiG from participating in the program for the reasons stated — i.e., on the basis of AiG’s religious beliefs, purpose, mission, message or conduct, is a violation of AiG’s rights under the First Amendment to the federal Constitution,” Judge Tatenhove wrote.

“Because … AiG has shown a substantial likelihood of success on the merits of their federal First Amendment claims, the Kentucky Constitution cannot bar those claims,” he continued. “When balancing this finding against the other necessary factors, the court concludes that a preliminary injunction is warranted.”

The government’s historical desire to avoid interfering with religious organizations practices, there is a specific exception that exempts religious organizations from the prohibition against discriminating on the basis of religion. Put another way, religious organizations can discriminate against employees on the basis of religion!

I guess since this is a Christian ministry they can request the employees be Christian.

The Present Governor doesn't plan to appeal.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I found another article. HERE

The government’s historical desire to avoid interfering with religious organizations practices, there is a specific exception that exempts religious organizations from the prohibition against discriminating on the basis of religion. Put another way, religious organizations can discriminate against employees on the basis of religion!

I guess since this is a Christian ministry they can request the employees be Christian.

That's not the issue. The issue is whether the state can give tax breaks to organizations that discriminate like that. q.v.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In other words whether the state will discriminate against believers.
...No, whether the state will provide multiple layers of preferential treatment for believers. The Ark Park is, to my knowledge, not meant as a non-profit. It's supposed to be a business, something which Ken Ham will make quite a bit of money off of. To give that tax-exempt status in the first place simply because it's about religion is preferential treatment. To give that tax-exempt status despite discriminatory hiring is really preferential treatment.

Upvote 0