Judaism Issue: Has anyone in the past read YHWH's letters acronymically per their pictoral meaning?

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ancient Babylonian, Chinese, Sumerian, and Egyptian scripts wrote the word for God or or "deity" pictorally, using one or more characters, each of which provided a meaning associated with the concept of God/deity. For example, in ancient Egypt, hieroglyphics could be written either phonetically (each letter as a sound) or pictorally (each letter meant a word). The Egyptians' word for God/deity was NTR and could be written as a flagpole, perhaps denoting those outside their temples, as a perched hawk, bringing to mind the main gods Horus and Ra, or as a sitting man with a chin beard, thus resembling Egypt's image of male rulers.

Scholars say that Hebrew began or developed out of a pictoral script, where the letters had their own meanings. So the letter yod, according to the Jewish Encyclopedia, means "hand" or "arm". According to the scholars, it was actually written like an arm __| in the ancient script of Hebrew. Later on, centuries after the writing of the Torah and Psalms, the script was changed to the Assyrian alphabet (AKA Ashurite script).

Some writers nowadays like Jeff Benner and Andre Roosma are proposing that these building blocks of the alphabet were also root elements sometimes to a degree in the Hebrew language itself. So for example a word including a yod might have a meaning related to the concept of a hand or arm.

Question #1 for this thread: What do you think of this claim about the letters sometimes reflecting root meanings in Hebrew words?

The hypothesis seems at least logical. There are numerous words in English composed of simpler roots. Chinese words are drawn with characters that in turn can be made of simpler characters. Babylonian cuneiform used writing by combining letters representing simple sounds. + drawn with two arrows on the left and one on top was the phonetic sound "an", and the symbol with the arrows could also be used to mean the whole word for deity.

One of the big problems I have with this theory though is that I don't know of hardly any accredited university scholars who teach this about Hebrew. Nor do I know of any Jews in previous centuries who used these meanings of the letters to make commentaries on the meanings of any Hebrew words. Do you?

That is not to say that Jewish tradition hasn't drawn any interpretations of the letters to find inner meanings in them. In fact, they have at times, like in the use of Gematria, which uses the numbers of letters to reach mystical conclusions.
Consider the use of acrostics in the TaNaKh. There are cases where passages have numerous words where the first letter of the words ties in to some other word in order to form an acronym. Wikipedia mentions:
In the Book of Esther the Tetragrammaton does not appear, but it is present in four complex acrostics in Hebrew: the initial or last letters of four consecutive words, either forwards or backwards comprise YHWH. These letters were distinguished in at least three ancient Hebrew manuscripts in red.[38][note 3] Another acrostic containing the Tetragrammaton also composed the first four words of Psalm 96:11.

Tetragrammaton - Wikipedia

The Hebrew for Christians website described how sometimes Jewish writers used letters to derive mystical meanings:
  1. Gematria - A type of numerological study that may be defined as one of more systems for calculating the numerical equivalence of letters, words, and phrases in a particular Hebrew text. These systems are used for the purpose of gaining insight into interrelating concepts and for finding correspondences between words and concepts. Using this method, the supposed angel Metatron was thought to be particularly powerful because numerically this name is equivalent to Shaddai.

2. Kabbalah - The kabbalah of Names usually involves some permutation of the Sacred Name (YHVH)
Esoteric Hebrew Names of God

The Hebrew letter Hey/Heh is repeated twice in YHWH and the Hebrew 4 Christians website notices meanings that Jewish writers drew from the Heh symbol:

According to the Jewish mystics, Hey represents the divine breath or revelation. On the fifth day, the LORD created ruach ("living creatures") and this corresponds to the letter Hey. Since the numerical value of Hey is five, this corresponds on a physical level to the five fingers, the five senses, and the five dimensions. On a spiritual level it corresponds to the five levels of soul:
  • Nefesh - instincts
  • Ruach - emotions
  • Neshamah - mind
  • Chayah - bridge to transcendence
  • Yechidah - oneness
"By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth" (Psalm 33:6). In the Talmud (Menachot 29b) it is said that the "breath of His mouth" refers to the sound of the letter Hey - the outbreathing of Spirit.

Another mystical idea that Jewish writers had about letters was the Digrammaton YH. The Hebrew for Christians site explains:
Digrammata

"Digrammaton" means "two letters" and refers to a two-letter Name of God.

... the Name
yah1.gif
(yah). It is generally thought that Yah is a shortened form of YHVH. This Name of God occurs about 50 times in the Tanakh. In Psalm 68:4 [5, H] this Name is particularly stressed. The Name YAH is also found in the construct word "hallelu-YAH," which means "you [pl.] praise the LORD," as well as in many Biblical proper names (e.g., Eliyahu).

The Talmud states that God used the letter Hey to create the present world (olam hazeh) and Yod to create the world to come (olam habah). The sages derive this idea from the Name
yah1.gif
(yah) found in Isaiah 26:4:

isa26-4.gif

How did they come up with this? Well, they consider b'yah in the text as meaning "with Yod-Hey" instead of referring to the Name Yah.

Besides, the name YHWH has central importance in Judaism and is called the Tetragrammaton. It was considered so holy that commonly a practice evolved to pronounce Adonai (Lord), instead of YHWH.

God's name is also found in the Bible as a component in theophoric Hebrew names. Some may have had at the beginning of the form: jô- or jehô- (29 names), and the other at the end: jāhû- or jāh- (127 names). One name is a form of jehô as the second syllable (Elioenaj, hebr. ʼelj(eh)oʻenaj[42]). Onomastic Studies indicate that theophoric names containing the Tetragrammaton were very popular during the monarchy (8th–7th centuries BCE).[note 4] The popular names with the prefix jô-/jehô- diminished, while the suffix jāhû-/jāh- increased.
In the Dead Sea Scrolls and other Hebrew and Aramaic texts the tetragrammaton and some other names of God in Judaism (such as El or Elohim) were sometimes written in paleo-Hebrew script, showing that they were treated specially. Most of God's names were pronounced until about the 2nd century BC.
The preserved manuscripts from Qumran show the inconsistent practice of writing the tetragrammaton, mainly in biblical quotations: in some manuscripts is written in paleo-Hebrew script, square scripts or replaced with four dots or dashes (tetrapuncta).

The members of the Qumran community were aware of the existence of the tetragrammaton, but this was not tantamount to granting consent for its existing use and speaking. This is evidenced not only by special treatment of the tetragrammaton in the text, but by the recommendation recorded in the 'Rule of Association' (VI, 27): "Who will remember the most glorious name, which is above all".

Wikipedia also notes that among the Greek Septuagint texts,
the oldest fragments had the tetragrammaton in Hebrew or Paleo-Hebrew characters,[64] with the exception of P. Ryl. 458 (perhaps the oldest extant Septuagint manuscript) where there are blank spaces, leading some scholars such as Colin Henderson Roberts to believe that it contained letters.[65] According to Paul E. Kahle, the tetragrammaton must have been written in the manuscript where these breaks or blank spaces appear.

Judaism 101 explains what it sees as the normal linguistic meaning of YHWH:
The most important of God's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (YHVH). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name. Linguistically, it is related to the Hebrew root Hei-Yod-Hei (to be), and reflects the fact that God's existence is eternal. In scripture, this Name is used when discussing God's relation with human beings, and when emphasizing his qualities of lovingkindness and mercy.
Judaism 101: The Name of G-d

Judaism 101 also gives an example showing the sanctity of the written name itself:
Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.
Judaism 101: The Name of G-d

So this leads to Question #2:
Did anyone in the past drew conclusions or interpretations about the meaning of YHWH based on the meanings of the letters themselves, especially the pictoral meanings that they carried when the Torah and Psalms were written?

Here you can find a chart of the letters from the Early/Middle Hebrew period, along with their names and meanings:
Based on the chart, the meaning of the letters is:
Arm/hand (Yod), Behold (Heh), Nail/Hook (Waw).

Members of the "Church of Yahweh" made a claim about the name YHWH by rearranging the letters vertically like I have seen on another website:
God did not spell His/Her REAL Name left-right, nor right-left, but top-bottom. Simply take the four Hebrew letters of the Tetragrammaton, and spell it vertically:

Tetragrammaton.jpg

...God’s personal Name,
FourLetterName-sm.jpg
, spelled vertically is a pictogram of a human being: head, arms, torso and legs, indicating God’s REAL Name...
The Real Secret ~ Ahyh & Libby Maxey
I do find it interesting that the letters appear to form a somewhat anthropomorphic shape when arranged vertically, but don't know what to make of that. This vertical arrangement is in the Ashurite script that the Hebrews starting using only long after the time of the writing of the Torah and Psalms.

Also, it doesn't really address the question I am asking about drawing meaning from that of the pictoral letters used to spell YHWH.

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Church of Yahweh"
Hello, Couldn't read all your post but I noticed House of Yahweh.
I could not find anything positive about it other than at this point they allow their members to leave.

The House of Yahweh faith group. Part 1

The House of Yahweh appears to be a high risk group, with the potential of developing into a destructive cult at some time in the future. It could then pose an extreme danger to its members. There have been a number of negative media reports on this group, including a Newsweek magazine article in 1997-APR, a mention on the "This Morning" TV program for 1997-AUG-28, an interview of their leader on Hard Copy, mind control episodes on A&E television and Dr. Phil, etc.

Reactions: rakovsky
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Behold the hand, behold the nail.

I don't put much stock into what modern Hebrew letters look like or how they fit together. Paleo Hebrew is the alphabet of the Torah.
10666271_811982395504027_877433855_n.jpg
I agree. I don't know or understand Hebrew, but one should focus to know God through the language we do understand and not be distracted chasing rabbit trails

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What do the theories about the pictorial meaning of Paleo-Hebrew suggest for the early understanding of Yahweh?

My theory is that Yahweh was symbolized as the Sun and a golden calf, and that Sin the Moon god was considered Yahweh's father (symbolized as a crescent moon with it's similarity to a bull's horns). The Kuntillet Ajrud pithos sherd suggests to me that the Passover spring festival involved something like the sun rising in the constellation Taurus celebrating the birth of Yahweh the golden calf. (One problem with my idea that the Kuntillet Ajrud sherd depicts constellation is that the constellation Cancer would correspond to the image of Ashterah instead of the crab. The images for Taurus and Gemini work nicely though.)

I know that is wild speculation LOL, but those are the symbols I would expect to see in the letters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your replies!
This issue has been mentioned in passing on some other places in our forum:

About the letters being based on pictograms
I think the original Hebrew was based on word pictures. As the language changed and words were added to the language, that started to change also.

Having studied the Paleo Hebrew some time ago, and having some lessons from an Israeli Hebrew Scholar on the matter, I will add this....
The proto-Sinatic is more pictorial than the Paleo we know of. For instance for the letter aleph, there is a bulls head of no mistake. From this derived the symbol which today looks like our Arabic letter 'A' set on it's side. ...

Vav in the old pictogram Hebrew looks like a nail, a peg, pin or hook in a sure place, used in Exodus 27:10-11, as a peg, pin, nail or hook on the Pillars of the Tabernacle upon which were hung the curtains [or veils of the Tabernacle, Christ Jesus hung upon the Cross, His flesh the veil [By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; [Hebrews 10:20]]], it may also be seen in use in Exodus 26:32,37, 27:10,11,17, 36:36,38, 38:10,11,12,17,19,28:

And I will fasten him [as] a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house. Isaiah 22:23

scripts-vav.gif

A website of note:
The Letter Vav

Pictorgrams:
http://kingdaughter.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/hebrewpictographchart1.gif

The word את is used as a grammatical tool to identify the definite object of the verb, in other words, it is pointing to the active principle. Thus the active principle which Created the Heaven and the Earth in Genesis 1, is GOD [Elohim - multiplicity of persons and togetherness of purpose], but even specifically the Word, the First and the Last letter, the Alpha and Omega, the Mighty Sacrifice who would die upon the Cross, pierced for all, connecting Heaven and Earth, Deity and humanity, by Himself [the propitiation], Christ Jesus, the Son of God the Father, God manifest in the flesh.

About interpreting YHWH pictographically

The Hebrew letter Yod is depicted by an Arm & Hand
The Hebrew letter Wav is depicted by a Nail
and the Hebrew letter Hey is depicted by a Y with a circle between the two arms.
Like a man with his arms in the air...

YHWH
Hand Behold Nail Behold

Yahweh...:
Yehovah 3068:
  • Hand, :5.
  • Hey=man with two hands stretched up- revelation, to reveal, grace (the, to reveal)
  • nail, :5.
  • Hey=man with two hands stretched up- revelation, to reveal, grace (the, to reveal)
First letter is hand, so basicly ruling or something, and then there is two letters for revelation; Revelation is a big thing in this name..

If you do the same kind of symbol study of the ... name YHWH, you get the following
Yod - Hand
Hay - Reveal
Waw - Nail
So Yod-Hay-Waw-Hay = the hand revealed, the nail revealed
some put it this way - Behold the hand, behold the nail

Yad = Arm

Hey = Behold

Waw = Nail

Hey = Behold = YAHUWAH

~~~~~~~

Yad Hey Waw Dalet Hey = Yahudah = Jew

Vicomte in another thread wrote a different interpretation:
YHWH is a complex word, consisting of Y added to the name Eve - Hawah - HWH - which mean "life". So YHWH could be read as a title: Yah is Life. "Yah" doesn't "mean" "God", or "Mighty One", or "Power". It doesn't exactly MEAN anything, though it's a stand in for a name. What "Yah" really IS, is the pictographic letter Yod, which gives the "Y" sound. The pictograph is an outstretched arm and hand.

And HWH is really Hey-Vav-Hey. Hey is a breath, and of course in Hebrew breath and spirit are the same thing. So this "name" YHWH really is a sentence: the mighty arm and hand of God that links breath to breath (which is the Hebrew concept of life - a "soul" is our translation - the Hebrew nephesh really is "breather", and breath is spirit, so that which has breath has spirit - it "lives". When the breath is taken back by the Powers, it dies.

SOURCE:
WHO is God?
^This part is confusing for me. The "Yah" in Yahweh "doesn't exactly mean anything"?

Vicomte's conclusion that "the mighty arm and hand of God that links breath to breath" is the inner meaning of YHWH diverges so much from "The Arm/Hand Behold The Nail Behold" that it seems to undermine the reliability of the whole system itself!

Question: What does Heh most basically mean, "behold" or "breath"?
You get very different interpretations of the supposed inner meaning of YHWH depending on your answer.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well it's an interesting area of inquiry... I've been familiar with Gematria as letters were used to represent numerical values..also the Abjad reckoning assigns numerical values to Arabic letters.

As to Hebrew letters deriving from some pictorial representations it would seem possible. The"break" if you will between Egyptian hieroglyphics and Hebrew letters might have also happened due to the admonition and commandment...

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth..."

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I agree. I don't know or understand Hebrew, but one should focus to know God through the language we do understand and not be distracted chasing rabbit trails

It never hurts to keep learning, as long as we don't let it draw us away from the basics. Knowing how the people in the bible lived and thought gives more understanding of how they understood the scriptures.

• Agree
Reactions: rakovsky
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It is interesting
Mechanical Translation

t.gif
i.gif
s.gif
a.gif
r.gif
b.gif
in~SUMMIT רֵאשִׁית bê'rey'[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]

a.gif
r.gif
b.gif
he~did~FATTEN בָּרָא ba'ra
m.gif
i.gif
e.gif
f.gif
l.gif
a.gif
Elohiym אֱלֹהִים e'lo'him

In the beginning God

Oh that is funny!! The Hebrew pronunciation for "in the summit" comes out as a curse word!!! The last four letters are sh it!!

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Behold the hand, behold the nail.
Why are you reading this backwards, since YHWH starts with Yod (arm)?

Also, how can this interpretation be so different when Vicomte and Roosma reach very different conclusions?

For YHWH (יְהוָה), Roosma gives this meaning based on the letters' meanings:
the God Who gives life ; Who lets us be / live ; worship and celebrate together in joyful wonder and in secure attachment
Source: A. Roosma, www.hallelu-yah.nl/Early-Semitic.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello, Couldn't read all your post but I noticed House of Yahweh.
I could not find anything positive about it other than at this point they allow their members to leave.

The House of Yahweh faith group. Part 1

The House of Yahweh appears to be a high risk group, with the potential of developing into a destructive cult at some time in the future. It could then pose an extreme danger to its members. There have been a number of negative media reports on this group, including a Newsweek magazine article in 1997-APR, a mention on the "This Morning" TV program for 1997-AUG-28, an interview of their leader on Hard Copy, mind control episodes on A&E television and Dr. Phil, etc.
Yeah, I found weird takes on basic normal theology on their website. It sounded like possible pantheism.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do the theories about the pictorial meaning of Paleo-Hebrew suggest for the early understanding of Yahweh?

My theory is that Yahweh was symbolized as the Sun and a golden calf, and that Sin the Moon god was considered Yahweh's father (symbolized as a crescent moon with it's similarity to a bull's horns). The Kuntillet Ajrud pithos sherd suggests to me that the Passover spring festival involved something like the sun rising in the constellation Taurus celebrating the birth of Yahweh the golden calf. (One problem with my idea that the Kuntillet Ajrud sherd depicts constellation is that the constellation Cancer would correspond to the image of Ashterah instead of the crab. The images for Taurus and Gemini work nicely though.)

I know that is wild speculation LOL, but those are the symbols I would expect to see in the letters.
First letter in YHWH was yod, meaning and written as an arm
>----'

I don't see that as matching your proposition about Yahweh.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well it's an interesting area of inquiry... I've been familiar with Gematria as letters were used to represent numerical values..also the Abjad reckoning assigns numerical values to Arabic letters.

As to Hebrew letters deriving from some pictorial representations it would seem possible. The"break" if you will between Egyptian hieroglyphics and Hebrew letters might have also happened due to the admonition and commandment...

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth..."
Thanks for writing.

"An abjad (pronounced /ˈæbdʒɑːd/ or /ˈæbdʒæd/) is a type of writing system where each symbol stands for a consonant, leaving the reader to supply the appropriate vowel." ~WIKIPEDIA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
First letter in YHWH was yod, meaning and written as an arm
>----'

Probably you are well aware of "the arm of Yahweh" mentioned in Isaiah? I just heard that Bible verse on a documentary. I imagine you already know of it, but just in case...

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Probably you are well aware of "the arm of Yahweh" mentioned in Isaiah? I just heard that Bible verse on a documentary. I imagine you already know of it, but just in case...
Of course.
So my question I would love to ask the author of Isaiah is whether when he wrote about the "arm" of God he ever was thinking about what happened to be a pictoral arm letter yod used in the name YHWH.

Do you know what I mean?
At the end of Isaiah 52 and in Isaiah 53, it asks "To Whom was the Arm of the Lord bared?" And it talks about the nations being astonished and amazed at the Servant who was disfigured, and also about the pouring out of the Servant.
Arm / Amazed / Disfigured by piercing weapon / Astonished?

OK, I see a potential connection, but I would like to have real corroboration, you know? I mean, I'd like to see either the Bible say explicitly that this kind of pictoral-letter-based interpretation of words is right, or else read alot of scholars in the past talking about this as a normal practice (as opposed to just some people in the modern era inventing/"discovering" it).

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't answer that-- I just copied what was written--I doubled checked---that's how it is written. There is = really small right under it. Is that wrong?
Mechanical Translation
That tiny = is called a "diacritic" vowel mark, and those kinds of marks are not in the original Hebrew. But it's not something to worry about for purposes of my thread.

Basically, back when the Bible was written there were alot of vowels missing from their alphabet, and then in medieval times people started adding in tiny dashes like that underneath to show what the vowels were.

It's kind of like how come sometimes teachers in English write ē with a dash on top of e to teach kids that the e is supposed to be pronounced as a long e. If you don't know what I'm talking about, forget it. It's not something important to get into here.

Upvote 0