New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hoshiyya said:
The historical Jewish way of counting it is such that two jubilee cycles equal 100 years (49 + 1 + 49 + 1).

Rabbinic opinion differs on this. If you go back prior to the destruction of the temple in AD70, they counted the Jubilees as 49 + 49. This is quite obvious from the writings in the Dead Sea scrolls.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Rabbinic opinion differs on this. If you go back prior to the destruction of the temple in AD70, they counted the Jubilees as 49 + 49. This is quite obvious from the writings in the Dead Sea scrolls.

I'm sorry, but I don't count Essenes as "Rabbis".

The Pharisees, representing the majority of the people, kept the traditional way of counting (49 + 1).
Small groups in the Essene communities and among the Sadducees had their own ways of counting but did not represent the Oral Torah majority tradition.

The Temple authorities maintained a lunar calendar; the Essenes followed a solar calendar, which consisted of exactly 52 weeks per year, that is, 364 days. According to this calendar, festivals always fell on the same day of the week. Thus, Rosh Hashanah (the Feast of Trumpets), Passover and the first day of Sukkot (the Feast of Tabernacles) always occurred on a Wednesday. The Essenes considered the solar calendar used by the Hasmoneans in the Temple, tied as it was to a 354-day lunar calendar, to be adulterated with Babylonian elements. For example, the names of the months - Nisan, Shevet, Adar, Tishri - were Babylonian. The difference in calendars created a terrible discrepancy in holiday observance, with the Temple authorities and the Essenes celebrating festivals on different days. This naturally created a sharp rift between the two groups. (p. 64, "Jerusalem's Essene Gateway," Biblical Archaeological Review, May/June 1997)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gideon

Nov 13, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Apart from the Essenes there have been plenty others who included the 'fiftieth' year within the 'forty-nine.' This includes later Rabbis although, as time progressed, their general opinion shifted to the 49+1 that you are saying. I prefer to follow the ancient Sabbatical count.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The Prophecy of Jubilees by Rabbi Judah Ben Samuel… Ludwig Schneider of Israel Today magazine has translated Judah Ben Samuel (1140-1217) work into English. “...According to this article, Rabbi Judah Ben Samuel was a top Talmudic scholar in Germany. Just before he died in the year 1217 he prophesied that the Ottoman Turks would rule over the holy city of Jerusalem for eight jubilees. That is 400 years (8 x 50). The Ottoman Turks did take control of Jerusalem 300 years after the Rabbi’s death in 1517 and as according to the prophecy, the Ottoman Turks then lost Jerusalem 400 years later in 1917. It was during WWI that British General Edmund Allenby walked intoJerusalem on Hanukkah without firing a shot in 1917. The timing of this with the holiday and the ease at which it occurred indeed make this moment of history extremely significant... The Rabbi then went on to say that after the eight jubilees, the ninth jubilee would have Jerusalem being a no-man’s-land, which it was from 1917 to 1967 until the Six-Day-War. The Rabbi’s prophecy then stated that in the tenth Jubilee that Jerusalem would be controlled byIsrael and then the Messianic end times would begin. That would then bring the time to 2017. http://www.pray4zion.org/thecomingshemitahjubileeyear57745.html

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The Book of Jubilees written by a Jew in the 2nd century BC, demonstrates that Jubilee cycles were historically understood by normative Judaism to be a 49 year, not a 50 year cycle.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The Melchizedek Scroll, A fragment of the Dead Sea Scrolls called DSS 11Q13

. . . The figure of Melchizedek is introduced into this context of a jubilee year. What then is meant by "the year of jubilee" in this manuscript? Fitzmyer interprets the year of jubilee mentioned in this manuscript as follows:

'In the course of the midrashic development the year of jubilee mentioned first in line 2 becomes "the last jubilee" (line 7), or "the tenth jubilee" (line 7, at the end). In other words, it seems to refer to the end of the 490 years, or "the seventy weeks of years" of Dan 9:24-27. It is called the year of "release" (šmth) proclaimed for the Lord (lines 3-4) and of "liberation" (drr), such as was announced to the captives of Isa 61:1.' http://www.itsaboutthattime.net/49_vrs_50_cycles.htm

The translation is taken from Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition (eds.García Martinez and Eibert J. C. Tigchelaar, 1209). Highlights in the translation indicate the parts of the Old Testament verses. [Go to Melchizedek in 11Q13 (11QMelch), for more information.]

The Ages of Creation documents (4Q180-181)

The use of 70 and 490 in structuring history is known elsewhere; from the Flood to the end is seventy generations (1 En. 10:12) or seventy weeks of years (4Q181 2.3; cf. 4Q 180 1.4-9); 11Q Melch envisages a period of ten jubilees or 490 years up to the final judgment. (Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis, Willem A. VanGeren (gen. Ed.), Zond:1997 (5 vols).

Reactions: Gideon
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Fifty- and Forty-nine-Year Cycles.

There is a difference of opinion in the Talmud as to whether the jubilee year was included in or excluded from the forty-nine years of the seven cycles. The majority of rabbis hold that the jubilee year was an intercalation, and followed the seventh Sabbatical year, making two fallow years in succession.After both had passed, the next cycle began. They adduce this theory from the plain words of the Law to "hallow the fiftieth year," and also from the assurance of God's promise of a yield in the sixth year sufficient for maintenance during the following three years, "until the ninth year, until her fruits come in" (Lev. xxv. 22), which, they say, refers to the jubilee year. http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12967-sabbatical-year-and-jubilee

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Apart from the Essenes there have been plenty others who included the 'fiftieth' year within the 'forty-nine.' This includes later Rabbis although, as time progressed, their general opinion shifted to the 49+1 that you are saying. I prefer to follow the ancient Sabbatical count.

Well the ancient one it seems is the traditional one. We don't even need tradition to settle this. The scripture is as plain as it could possibly be.

Any verse can / does have deeper meanings and hidden things, but these do not contradict the literal meaning, which is very plain.

In any case I think Hashem intends for us to follow the traditional calendar, which is the current calendar of Israel.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well the ancient one is the traditional one. But we don't even need tradition to settle this. The scripture is as plain as it could possibly be.

There is a difference of opinion in the Talmud as to whether the jubilee year was included in or excluded from the forty-nine years of the seven cycles. The majority of rabbis hold that the jubilee year was an intercalation, and followed the seventh Sabbatical year, making two fallow years in succession.After both had passed, the next cycle began. They adduce this theory from the plain words of the Law to "hallow the fiftieth year," and also from the assurance of God's promise of a yield in the sixth year sufficient for maintenance during the following three years, "until the ninth year, until her fruits come in" (Lev. xxv. 22), which, they say, refers to the jubilee year. Judah ha-Nasi, however, contends that the jubilee year was identical with the seventh Sabbatical year (R. H. 9a; Giṭ. 36a; comp. Rashi ad loc.). The opinion of the Geonim and of later authorities generally prevails, that the jubilee, when in force during the period of the First Temple, was intercalated, but that in the time of the Second Temple, when the jubilee was observed only "nominally," it coincided with the seventh Sabbatical year. In post-exilic bṭimes the jubilee was entirely ignored, though the strict observance of the shemiṭṭah was steadily insisted upon. This, however, is only according to a rabbinical enactment (Tos. to Giṭ. 36a, s.v. "Bizeman"), as by the Mosaic law, according to R. Judah, shemiṭṭah is dependent on the jubilee and ceases to exist when there is no jubilee (Giṭ. l.c. and Rashi ad loc.).

That the Sabbatical year was observed during the existence of the Second Temple is evident from the history of the Maccabees (I Macc. vi. 51, 55). The Mishnah includes in the examination of witnesses questions as to dates, in giving which there must be specified the Sabbatical year, the year, month, week, day, and hour (Sanh. v. 1).

Reactions: Gideon
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yes I saw your link when you first posted it.
My personal opinion is that the scripture is pretty clear on what a Jubilee cycle is, and the majority of Jewry it seems has historically held the same position. But people are of course free to disagree.

As mentioned, the idea in Lev 25:22 is that the sixth year of the seventh sabbath-year cycle will yield enough to cover the seventh year, which is a fallow year anyway, as well as the following Jubilee year, which would be the second fallow year, and even cover an additional (non-fallow) third year, being the first year of the next cycle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes I saw your link when you first posted it.
My personal opinion is that the scripture is pretty clear on what a Jubilee cycle is, and the majority of Jewry it seems has historically held the same position. But people are of course free to disagree.

As mentioned, the idea in Lev 25:22 is that the sixth year of the seventh sabbath-year cycle will yield enough to cover the seventh year, which is a fallow year anyway, as well as the following Jubilee year, which would be the second fallow year, and even cover an additional (non-fallow) third year, being the first year of the next cycle.

Sounds like 3 men 7 portions to me.

Reading Joshua lately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gideon

Nov 13, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Steve Petersen said:
There is a difference of opinion in the Talmud as to whether the jubilee year was included in or excluded from the forty-nine years of the seven cycles. ... Judah ha-Nasi, ... contends that the jubilee year was identical with the seventh Sabbatical year (R. H. 9a; Giṭ. 36a; comp. Rashi ad loc.).

Yes, that is the view of quite a few. Apart from a sizable minority of Rabbis it is also contained in the calendar of the Samaritans. Then, there are the Essenes whose 49+49+49 is clearly written in their 'Book of Jubilees'. I believe there is also evidence in the scripture itself that the cycle was 49 years - not 50.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Gideon

Nov 13, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Reason #3 - The Jubilee count was not meant to be extended past Messiah!

As I said earlier, the only reason Ive counted the Shemitah and Jubilees to our present century, was to prove that this year could not have been a Jubilee. If it was, the ‘sensation brigade’ would say, “Well, nothing happened during the blood moons, but something BIG will happen between Sept 2015 and Sept 2016, because it’s the Jubilee.” Well, it is not!

More importantly, we as Christians are not even supposed to be following the Shemitah anyway. Its whole purpose was to count down to Messiah, and its fulfilment is the liberty that we find in Christ. Yes, it is true that the Jews still follow the Shemitah, but only out of tradition. It is not going anywhere like it did before - certainly not to the 2nd coming of Christ. His 1st coming is what it’s all about, and the systematic count of ‘sevens’ converge with amazing precision to the sacrifice of Christ.

I can understand why Jewish scholars avoid the implications of the Jubilee count, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why more Christians have not explored it through the Bible. It counts like clockwork from Moses to Jesus, the anointed one.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic

As I said earlier, the only reason Ive counted the Shemitah and Jubilees to our present century, was to prove that this year could not have been a Jubilee. If it was, the ‘sensation brigade’ would say, “Well, nothing happened during the blood moons, but something BIG will happen between Sept 2015 and Sept 2016, because it’s the Jubilee.” Well, it is not!

More importantly, we as Christians are not even supposed to be following the Shemitah anyway. Its whole purpose was to count down to Messiah, and its fulfilment is the liberty that we find in Christ. Yes, it is true that the Jews still follow the Shemitah, but only out of tradition. It is not going anywhere like it did before - certainly not to the 2nd coming of Christ. His 1st coming is what it’s all about, and the systematic count of ‘sevens’ converge with amazing precision to the sacrifice of Christ.

I can understand why Jewish scholars avoid the implications of the Jubilee count, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why more Christians have not explored it through the Bible. It counts like clockwork from Moses to Jesus, the anointed one.
Yeshua is on God's appointed times. Yes, it is significant. I would say that Christians should be following the Shemitah because it is the year of release. It is prophetic in nature just as all the other appointed times. Just as the spring feasts were fulfilled with His first coming, so also we can look forward to Yeshua's second coming in accordance to the fall feasts. As Paul said "they are the shadow of things to come."

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Yeshua told us to heed the seat of Moses (the Rabbinic majority that kept the traditional and correct calendar). Not only are you promoting a different calendar, but even invalidating your own Essene calendar.

The true Yovelim are not ended. They are still supposed to be counted and when the millennial age begins, they will be put into full practice.

However I hope you are right about the Essene practices coming to a permanent end...

Upvote 0