United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hebrews 10:34
For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.

Sooo this definitely makes me reconsider by standing with God. Looking at those who would be literally joyful at people stealing from them, and having been a victim of home invasion before, I cannot seem to reconcile this. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would gladly be defensive of their homes, but what about if someone broke into you home and you came in from work to find it totally robbed? Would you be joyful? I wouldn't...and what does that say about my walk with Christ?

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What it says about your walk with Christ is that you are a work-in-progress like everyone else.

Some food for thought:

2 Peter 3 and a lot of what God says throughout the Bible is from a more eternal viewpoint that we typically have. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? ... (2 Peter 3:11a, 1984 NIV)

Just to be clear, the writer of Hebrews was not suggesting that the confiscation of property was morally OK. He was praising people for their more eternal viewpoint regarding their property.

The earth is the LORD’S, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters. (Psalms 24:1-2, 1984 NIV)

Why does anyone consider anything theirs? (See 1 Corinthians 4:7, Matthew 25:14, Luke 16:12 for more things to ponder.)

If a person is saved, have they not given everything that they are and will be to the Lord? In that light, do you really still consider some property your own?

(See Romans 9:21 and 2 Timothy 2:20-21 for even more things to ponder. :))

Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree the passage in question concerns the persecution of the early church. Not advocacy for happily conceding to home invasion robbery. There are passages that speak and condemn those who do not protect their family. If we were to sit idle while being robbed in our home we would be in conflict with those writings.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.

Sooo this definitely makes me reconsider by standing with God. Looking at those who would be literally joyful at people stealing from them, and having been a victim of home invasion before, I cannot seem to reconcile this. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would gladly be defensive of their homes, but what about if someone broke into you home and you came in from work to find it totally robbed? Would you be joyful? I wouldn't...and what does that say about my

Verses 32 to 39 have to be taken as a whole, and not taken apart. Proof texting demands we take verses before and after a section of verses to understand the text. Lifting a text by its self can cause huge issues, wrong assumptions and even cause us to question our faith.

Taking the verses together, the writer of Hebrews (which we do not know for sure) is dealing with suffering and persecution. Some were suffering by sympathizing with prisoners. Prisoners were not pampered but punishes harshly, as no provisions were made for them, not food, clothes, nothing was given to them. Prisoners were dependent on their friends and families for all their supplies. Even the friends that that helped supply the prisoners became identified with their visits and subject to investigation and suspension.

At time those people who were had their houses robbed and their goods taken. Those supporting prisoners were instructed to joyful because of what the had was of so much greater value..Jesus Christ. Now that fits a lot better.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I Suggest you read whole chapters instead of focusing on single verses so you see the bigger picture.

Hebrews is talking about the abolishing of the levitical system of sacrifice with Jesus new covenant. Remember the temple, it was full of splendour and had the holy of holies, the ark of covenant. But now with Jesus sacrifice once and for all all those other sacrifices are not needed. The holy spirit is given to us! We don't need the temple anymore. We are the temple in which He dwells.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.Sooo this definitely makes me reconsider by standing with God. Looking at those who would be literally joyful at people stealing from them, and having been a victim of home invasion before, I cannot seem to reconcile this. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would gladly be defensive of their homes, but what about if someone broke into you home and you came in from work to find it totally robbed? Would you be joyful? I wouldn't...and what does that say about my walk with Christ?

Shawn Penn said his career really took off after his house was destroyed in a wildfire.
He said he had been mentally holding on to old possessions and was free to make
new choices after he lost everything.

Upvote 0

Man on Fire

Jan 6, 2016
Durham, NC
✟19,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Learn to Joyfully endure trials. (James 1:2-4)

Bless your enemies....(with trials.)

Elisha cursed some youths. What kind of man was Elisha and what had he been through? Going through a trial to gain x2 Elijah spirit was no picnic.

Jesus is a fisher of men.

Youths killed by bears must have been the chaff and not the wheat. David man handled some bears wrestling out lambs out of their mouths.

Upvote 0

ICXC-NIKA

May 25, 2016
USA
✟8,052.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Sooo this definitely makes me reconsider by standing with God. Looking at those who would be literally joyful at people stealing from them, and having been a victim of home invasion before, I cannot seem to reconcile this. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would gladly be defensive of their homes, but what about if someone broke into you home and you came in from work to find it totally robbed? Would you be joyful? I wouldn't...and what does that say about my walk with Christ?
No one said being a Christian was easy! I too find it a challenge to pray for those who do evil in the world, but we have to remember that every person is made in the image and likeness of God. Many of the saints rejoiced when holy suffering afflicted them, it is a test.

Upvote 0