charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
And another "reality show" family implodes in a very public way. So glad I don't waste my time watching them and really don't care about their "scandals". They are just people and if they weren't being force fed to the public no one would know or care about their failings.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not know much about the Duggers except that I just read a little on Wikipedia. They seem to be a very conservative Christian family that seems to present a very high moral standard. Josh’s sex issue is sure to disgust many. The loss of Josh’s job and cancellation of the Duggers on their reality show will surly reduces their income.

I am not real surprised that this far right ultra-moral family has a sex skeleton in the closet. Trying to live the ultra-moral life is commendable but with 21 in the family it is no big surprise that one has violated the sex positions of the very conservative Christian.

Other than the failure of Josh at age 14 there seems to not be any other reason to punish the Dugger family. Josh has given up his job and the Dugger family has lost the reality show, and now the public humiliation, so what good does it do to berate them? Do they deserve more punishments?

Although I am no fan of ultra conservative Christian Republicans, I do admire the Dugger parents for raising so many children and taking in the father’s mother into the household. As far as I know there are no other moral failures in that family and that is to be commended.

How many of us could raise 19 children and only have one failure in the family?

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with sdmsanjose. I do not watch reality TV and could care less about it all. The actions of Josh do disgust me, but why is the whole family being smeared for it? Not only that, but Josh did it as a teen. From what I understand, it's not a current issue he has. People do not seem to realize that Christians are sinners, too. The only difference is that they have repented of their actions. I feel like a bigger deal is being made out of this than needs to be just because he is part of a family of conservative Christian Republicans living in the public eye. If the family wasn't Christian, I doubt there would be so much drama made of it.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please people grow up. this happened 12 years ago when he was also a child. This does not excuse what happened. But Josh Dugger is not a pedophile since he was also underage. Not to mention that he owned up to his crime and his family got him some help. He also admitted to his wife before they got engaged and has not lied about this. This incident happened 12 years ago. He is 27 now and was about 15 then. His family and the victims have forgiven him. Instead of condemning him for something that happened long in the past, forgive him as Christ forgave you. He is now right with God and is trying to serve him and his family. Anyway I hope people grow up and the show continues to show Christian values. We as Christians all make mistakes and the people that are close to us often hurt us. But as the Dugger family does forgive as Christ forgives, and love as Christ loves. Shouldn't we do the same?? Take the log out of your own eyes and let's support each other in our christian walk. God bless the Dugger family and everyone who continues to try to do what's right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[QUOTE="sdmsanjose, post: 67982137, member: 152702"
How many of us could raise 19 children and only have one failure in the family?

[/QUOTE]

Amen. I know there is always a black sheep in the family. Especially when you have 19 kids!! To blame the whole family for the actions of one family member is childish.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the Duggar family:

From Jim Bob and Michelle:

Back 12 years ago our family went through one of the most difficult times of our lives. When Josh was a young teenager, he made some very bad mistakes and we were shocked. We had tried to teach him right from wrong. That dark and difficult time caused us to seek God like never before. Even though we would never choose to go through something so terrible, each one of our family members drew closer to God. We pray that as people watch our lives they see that we are not a perfect family. We have challenges and struggles everyday. It is one of the reasons we treasure our faith so much because God’s kindness and goodness and forgiveness are extended to us — even though we are so undeserving. We hope somehow the story of our journey — the good times and the difficult times — cause you to see the kindness of God and learn that He can bring you through anything.

From Josh:

Twelve years ago, as a young teenager I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, including my family and close friends. I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life. I sought forgiveness from those I had wronged and asked Christ to forgive me and come into my life. I would do anything to go back to those teen years and take different actions. In my life today, I am so very thankful for God’s grace, mercy and redemption.

From Anna (Josh's wife):

I can imagine the shock many of you are going through reading this. I remember feeling that same shock. It was not at the point of engagement, or after we were married - it was two years before Josh asked me to marry him. When my family and I first visited the Duggar Home, Josh shared his past teenage mistakes. I was surprised at his openness and humility and at the same time didn't know why he was sharing it. For Josh he wanted not just me but my parents to know who he really was -- even every difficult past mistakes. At that point and over the next two years, Josh shared how the counseling he received changed his life as he continued to do what he was taught. And when you, our sweet fans, first met me when Josh asked me to marry him... I was able to say, "Yes" knowing who Josh really is - someone who had gone down a wrong path and had humbled himself before God and those whom he had offended. Someone who had received the help needed to change the direction of his life and do what is right. I want to say thank you to those who took time over a decade ago to help Josh in a time of crisis. Your investment changed his life from going down the wrong path to doing what is right. If it weren't for your help I would not be here as his wife — celebrating 6 1/2 years of marriage to a man who knows how to be a gentleman and treat a girl right. Thank you to all of you who tirelessly work with children in crisis, you are changing lives and I am forever grateful for all of you.

Reactions: sdmsanjose
Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think many are more bothered, by the Duggar parents covering up their son's crimes, from what I've read on social media.
I don't really know so much about this, so this post, it isn't verifiable as accurate. I just logged onto Facebook, and there were all these posts about it. There's an accusation, that the parents didn't bring Josh to the police, until after the statute of limitations ran out. I don't know, if that's true? What I was read, was that Oprah was going to interview the family, in 2006. They received an email, warning them that Josh had sexually molested girls, multiple times. The show cancelled the interview, and forwarded the email to a hotline. That prompted the police investigation. They eventually went and talked to an Arkansas Police Trouper, who was a friend of the family's, who didn't follow the procedures, for reporting the incident. That trouper is in prison, for 56 years, for his own child inappropriate contentography convictions.

I don't know. He was young, yes. Certainly old enough, to know that fondling breasts, penetrating his sister's genitals, whilst they were sleeping, was terribly wrong.

I do think, if this had been a gay or lesbian public figure, who committed the exact same crime, at the same age many in the United States would be far less forgiving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Legal consensual sex is irrelevant. Getting drunk is legal, it's still a sin.

It is relevant, as most gay people who are persecuted by fundamentalists like Josh Duggar, are adults engaging in consensual sex with other adults.

Consent, is paramount, to morality, also. Not just legality, but morality. The girls didn't give any consent, to molestation.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It is relevant, as most gay people who are persecuted by fundamentalists like Josh Duggar, are adults engaging in consensual sex with other adults.

Consent, is paramount, to morality, also. Not just legality, but morality. The girls didn't give any consent, to molestation.

And yet it's still irrelevant. Humanistic secular laws are irrelevant when compared to Biblical teaching.

Duggar sinned, yes, but let's not pretend that secular legality excuses homosexuals of sin.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And yet it's still irrelevant. Humanistic secular laws are irrelevant when compared to Biblical teaching.

Duggar sinned, yes, but let's not pretend that secular legality excuses homosexuals of sin.

Consent is not morally relevant to you, Patrick?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Consent is not morally relevant to you, Patrick?

Of course it is, but we're held, ultimately, to a higher account which is biblical teaching.

They're both sin, both repugnant.

Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Forget Biblical teaching. Which is more repugnant?

Biblical teachings aren't a whimsical thing that one can simply disregard, temporarily or otherwise.

For any Christian that can't seem to reconcile with the fact that, woah, this Christian actually sinned, I'd recommend they study the life of Paul.

Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also forgive you, for your unwillingness to answer what should be a simple question.

I also asked you a few simple questions for which you would not answer. Anyway why are you on a Christian forum if you don't care about biblical teachings nor care about learning about anyone else's views except your own? The fact is the Duggar family has got Josh help and repented years and years ago. Today Josh is married and is serious about his faith. So we will forgive him as our savior has forgiven us.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole thing is profoundly sad. :(
I don't know the whole story and have only heard bits and pieces from friends.
I'm very glad I am not in the limelight or a celebrity. I can't imagine my sin being talked about on social media and being judged so profoundly by complete strangers who do not even know the details. We only know what is shared and gossiped about on social media.
I've made mistakes as a teenager and have been forgiven. Thank God my sins won't be broadcasted over social media because I beat myself up enough. I imagine Josh does too. God can offer forgiveness. Why can't we?
I don't know the circumstances or the situation. It appears like the family has worked it out. Again I have no idea.
Now the entire family is cast into shame because sins from a young person. Was it 12 years ago? Even his children are going to feel shame over this.
It's so terrible and not one of us has the right to judge him or his family.
It's none of our business. Just becasue they are celebrities, they live in a fishbowl of public criticism. So immesasurably sad. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.