U.S.A.
✟8,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rev.4:1, John wrote, I looked, and behold, a door was open in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter

What is the meaning of the open door? Who is speaking to John? And who was it that was going to reveal the future to John? Let's begin by comparing the following with the above.

Matt.27:51, moments after the Lord took his last breath, Scripture tells us "The veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom."

This veil hung between the "holy place" and the holiest of all," shutting out all access to the presence of God as manifested "from above the mercy-seat and from between the cherubim." Now man through the shed blood of our Lord had access to the throne of his Father in heaven.

Back to the open door; nowhere else in the Scriptures does it speak of an open door in heaven. Other verses speak of the heavens being opened, but never an open door.

Ezek.1:1, "The heavens were opened."

Matt.3:16, "The heavens were opened"

Acts 7:56, "I saw the heavens opened."

Acts 10:11, "And saw the heavens opened."

In the above four mentioned visions; what was seen; was disclosed to those on earth from heaven.

For John, the door had already been opened. Metaphorically it means an access, an opportunity, as, "To set open a door.”

John 10:7-9, Jesus said, "I am the door." Other examples of how the word is used.

"The first voice which I (John) heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me." Who does this voice belong to? Let’s compare with,

Rev.1:10, John writes, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet." That voice was that of the Alpha and Omega, Jesus Christ. It was Jesus Christ who was invituing John to come through this door He himself had opened.

"Come up hither." "Immediately I (John) was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne."

John’s entrance into the throne room of God is a preview for all believers who are raptured on that great and glorious day. Compare John's experience with the future rapture of the church, and its admittance into the Father's house.

First the dead must be raised from their sleep.

1 Cor.15:51, "The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible and we shall be changed. For this corruptible (body) must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. --- Then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

Then those raised, will be caught up first, to be with the Lord.

1 Thes.3:16, "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, and with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God, and the dead in Christ shall rise first (to be raised from sleep, and given an incorruptible body.) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." And finally,

And He said, "Come up hither."

Rev.7:9, "And after this I (John) beheld, and lo, a great multitude which no man could number, of all nations and kindreds, and people, and tongues stood before the throne before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands."

Phil LaSpino Taken from seekfirstwisdom

Rev.4:1, John wrote, I looked, and behold, a door was open in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter

What is the meaning of the open door? Who is speaking to John? And who was it that was going to reveal the future to John? Let's begin by comparing the following with the above.

Matt.27:51, moments after the Lord took his last breath, Scripture tells us "The veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom."

This veil hung between the "holy place" and the holiest of all," shutting out all access to the presence of God as manifested "from above the mercy-seat and from between the cherubim." Now man through the shed blood of our Lord had access to the throne of his Father in heaven.

Back to the open door; nowhere else in the Scriptures does it speak of an open door in heaven. Other verses speak of the heavens being opened, but never an open door.

Ezek.1:1, "The heavens were opened."

Matt.3:16, "The heavens were opened"

Acts 7:56, "I saw the heavens opened."

Acts 10:11, "And saw the heavens opened."

In the above four mentioned visions; what was seen; was disclosed to those on earth from heaven.

For John, the door had already been opened. Metaphorically it means an access, an opportunity, as, "To set open a door.”

John 10:7-9, Jesus said, "I am the door." Other examples of how the word is used.

"The first voice which I (John) heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me." Who does this voice belong to? Let’s compare with,

Rev.1:10, John writes, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet." That voice was that of the Alpha and Omega, Jesus Christ. It was Jesus Christ who was invituing John to come through this door He himself had opened.

"Come up hither." "Immediately I (John) was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne."

John’s entrance into the throne room of God is a preview for all believers who are raptured on that great and glorious day. Compare John's experience with the future rapture of the church, and its admittance into the Father's house.

First the dead must be raised from their sleep.

1 Cor.15:51, "The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible and we shall be changed. For this corruptible (body) must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. --- Then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

Then those raised, will be caught up first, to be with the Lord.

1 Thes.3:16, "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, and with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God, and the dead in Christ shall rise first (to be raised from sleep, and given an incorruptible body.) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." And finally,

And He said, "Come up hither."

Rev.7:9, "And after this I (John) beheld, and lo, a great multitude which no man could number, of all nations and kindreds, and people, and tongues stood before the throne before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands."

Phil LaSpino Taken from seekfirstwisdom

Hello, IMO, I believe that the prophet John and others who speak of doors are speaking in terms of what Jesus told in scriptures, can't remember the ref., but it says that Jesus could open doors that no man can shut and shut doors that no man can open. I believe these are describing an imaginary door to our mind and the prophets received light of knowledge and understanding, and they also see it as a door opening to heaven from where the enlightenment came forth.

What they saw is what they wrote and perhaps, even more than what they wrote. Perhaps, the tearing of the curtain is like the parting of the red sea? Perhaps, it has something to do with an escape for our souls to go through the torn curtain like they did the red sea?

I was wondering what happens to the torn curtain when Christ resurrected from the dead? Do you think there were any changes made in the tear of the curtain when Christ was brought back to life? These questions just came to mind as I read your post and stirred my curiosity. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

PhillipLaSpino

Achieve; don’t plunder!
Nov 17, 2007
U.S.A.
✟8,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
John is the only person who viewed this open door in heaven. This open door is an invitation into the Father's thone; something that could never have been until the Lord opened that door. Only through his shed blood can we believers enter.

Also the Temple sacrifices that went on for the next 35 years were of no effect. For over 400 years, the temple had been without the Ark of the Covenant, the mercy seat, the eternal flame, the presence of God himself who dwelled between the two Cherubin; and also the prescribed Levitical priesthood had been abandoned. God did not speak to this people nor did he send a prophet for 400 years until John appeared on the scene.

And except for the Bible, he has not spoken or sent another prophet to them for over 2000 years now.

All God had to say has been left to us in the Scriptures, there will be no more prophets, Jesus was the last prophet.

Phil LaSpino

Upvote 0

PhillipLaSpino

Achieve; don’t plunder!
Nov 17, 2007
U.S.A.
✟8,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Zeke there is a wide range of usage for the word prophet.

In a lesser usage, it would be used specifically of those who possessed the prophetic gifts or Charisma imparted by the Holy Spirit to the primitive churches, a prophet, as in a class of instructors or preachers who were next in rank to the apostles and before the teachers. 1 Cor.12:28. They seem to have differed from the teachers in this, that while the latter spoke in a calm, connected didactic discourse, adopted to instruct and enlighten the hearers, the prophets spoke more from the impulse of sudden inspiration, from the light of a sudden revelation at the moment, (revealed, 1 Cor.14:30,) and his discourse was probably more adapted by means of powerful exhortations to awaken the feelings and conscience of the hearers.

My reference would be in the strickest sense,

Heb.1:1-2, "God (the Father) who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken unto us by his Son."

Let's call this a draw,

Phil

Upvote 0
May 3, 2012
✟7,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OLOR=black]What is the meaning of the open door? Who is speaki
What is the meaning of the open door? Who is speaking to John? And who was it that was going to reveal the future to John?

The key to understanding is to know the feasts that God gave to Israel.

Christ fulfilled the Spring feasts in His first coming; Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, and Pentecost.

The Fall feasts are:

Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah)
Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
Feast of Tabernacles

Feast of Trumpets: According to Jewish tradition, the gates of heaven are opened on Rosh Hashanah. Because this feast is the only one celebrated on the new moon, it was also commonly known that "no man knows the day or the hour" it would begin.

Hence "a door was open in heaven" would have been read by first century Jews as a reference to the Feast of Trumpets.

Tradition also holds that the gate to heaven was closed 10 days later at the end of the Day of Atonement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums