Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Has anybody got any useful commentary on this passage, "I tell you the truth, when yhou were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

It goes on to say in verse 19 that "Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God."

That again is another passage which is speaking volumes to me but I cannot explain why, or whether it is accurate.

I just think about some of Pauls teachings, death to sin, and a purification in Christ, maybe that's death that's talked about in verse 19.

Perhaps in verse 18, and if I apply it to my own life, maybe it means that before faith, I could do whatever I wanted, stay out late, drink, be rude and crude, swear etc, but with faith (now Im older), Christ will guide me and I won't be able to do all the things that I used to like to do.

I have a friends birthday coming up and Im contemplating not going to Church on the Sunday because Im going to get back too late. But I really want to go to Church.

Although having read some bible commentaries, I really want to delete this post as I realise Im barking completely up the wrong tree and most likely taking everything out of context. Though at the same time, the commentaries are probably running a similar parallel. The commentaries seem to talk about love for Christ, following Christ, and in doing so, Peter would die a violent death.

Last edited:

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, first of all Jesus didn't say that to Paul, he said that to Peter. Jesus had told his disciples earlier on multiple occasions that they would face trouble and persecution, and that to follow him, they'd need to give everything up. Jesus, upon having sought out Peter and reinstated him, made this very personal prophesy which both echoed and confirmed in a very personal way what he said before. Before, Jesus said that there would be trouble and flogging, and being thrown out of synagogues. Now, Jesus was saying to Peter that when he is old, he would be a prisoner and be executed. This call was literally a call away from his freedom.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anybody got any useful commentary on this passage, "I tell you the truth, when yhou were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

It goes on to say in verse 19 that "Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God."

That again is another passage which is speaking volumes to me but I cannot explain why, or whether it is accurate.

I just think about some of Pauls teachings, death to sin, and a purification in Christ, maybe that's death that's talked about in verse 19.

Perhaps in verse 18, and if I apply it to my own life, maybe it means that before faith, I could do whatever I wanted, stay out late, drink, be rude and crude, swear etc, but with faith (now Im older), Christ will guide me and I won't be able to do all the things that I used to like to do.

I have a friends birthday coming up and Im contemplating not going to Church on the Sunday because Im going to get back too late. But I really want to go to Church.

Although having read some bible commentaries, I really want to delete this post as I realise Im barking completely up the wrong tree and most likely taking everything out of context. Though at the same time, the commentaries are probably running a similar parallel. The commentaries seem to talk about love for Christ, following Christ, and in doing so, Peter would die a violent death.

Your interpretation reminded me of somebody's vision and I'll post it here and I'll post a link to it as well:

"I was walking alone in a barren, colorless place when I saw, to my left coming toward me, Jesus. In my vision I knew Him, my spirit recognized him. I stopped and He reached out His hand to me and He said, "Come with Me to a place I will show you."

Sadly, my mind stopped me, with questions such as "Where will I go? What will I do?", etc. I was unwilling to commit without having more information!

But, this was a spiritual vision, and my soul (the part arguing and thinking) was unable to stop my spirit. As I was about to ask Jesus where we were going, I saw - in utter amazement - my right hand reach out and take His hand, still offered to me.

I was completely speechless. Then as I watched, my left foot stepped out and took a step toward Him. Again, completely against my WILL. As I'm watching in total shock, Jesus smiles at me and turns to walk back the way He came, and I (my spirit anyway) followed Him.

So often our minds stop us, stop our spirits from following Him, and I believe God was showing me how I hinder myself, how I keep myself out of His will simply by blocking my spirit (which trusts Him more than my mind does).

It has been a few years since I've had the time to devote to reading my Bible. I still pray often in the Spirit, but without that constant food (His written Word) I don't have as close a communion with Him.

Honestly, I miss Him. I miss the guidance and the visions, but I'm learning that I must grow and mature and let peace be my guide."

http://www.christianforums.com/t7453006-2/

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well, first of all Jesus didn't say that to Paul, he said that to Peter. Jesus had told his disciples earlier on multiple occasions that they would face trouble and persecution, and that to follow him, they'd need to give everything up. Jesus, upon having sought out Peter and reinstated him, made this very personal prophesy which both echoed and confirmed in a very personal way what he said before. Before, Jesus said that there would be trouble and flogging, and being thrown out of synagogues. Now, Jesus was saying to Peter that when he is old, he would be a prisoner and be executed. This call was literally a call away from his freedom.

Sorry yes, my mind rambles. Although Jesus said that to Peter, or Simon, or Simon Peter, or whatever his name was, I was just thinking about parallels with what Paul says.

It's not that I think Im Peter, or that my suffering would be worse, but it just somehow echoed things in my life, but in a different way to how bible commentaries present it. The commentaries say that this passage is about the foretelling of the death of Peter.

It sort of rammed home at that God is guiding me, he is taking me by the hand and trying to lead me to various places, but this world at times is still too alluring.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The meaning of this passage is to say: when you are young (just a believer) you will be enthusiastic to spread the message of your own accord. When you have been truly born again (the ability to hear God's voice in His Holy Word), you will be prompted to testify from the Holy Spirit. What's the difference? The difference is knowing what God says when he speaks rather than trying to make sense of every word. There are two distinct ways to read the book: you can read it with the expectation to understand every single word, or you can read it with faith that God will show you something new. I suggest you get together with God in prayer and discuss with Him the motive you have for wanting the gift of being able to hear His voice. I've shared a few tips for this in these posts:

(Cannot post links until the post count is 50 or greater - daft policies!)

Look at my profile and stats for the following posts:

Each person who humbles their self to God will get the greatest reward, you are well on the path to gaining salvation (in fact it sounds like you have already found your faith in Christ - you are...

Remember: GOD IS TRUTH. Human hearts are quick to harden when we dwell on lies (that is, words which don't come from God but rather from the spirits of evil who plague our mind). You can carry these...

Remember: the gift of interpretation is a GIFT, you must be ready to receive it by humbling yourself to God. He only reveals truth to those He knows and trusts, if you don't have that gift, then you need to pray to Him that He will grant it to you. We are chosen to speak truth on HIS accord, and that is the matter of being born again, the "death" that Peter would die - death to the life of sin which prevents us from coming to know God through His Holy Word.

Upvote 0