Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
John 16:33 reads, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Could someone tell me what this means?

keep your eyes on Jesus and his promise of eternal life. We are going to go thru tribulation but he will protect those that are faithful to him. He overcame sin and died for yours and mine and all who
Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith ofJesus.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
Have Him with you, become like Him. Take Him up as an image for yourself. Have Him see Himself in you.
People will be beheaded for His name's sake, but be ye Holy as He is Holy, and make yourself like unto the Bride of Christ.
The 10 virgins and candlesticks, those 5 made themselves Holy, they bought their candle with sacrifice and giving up themselves.

Remember, be like unto a child, yet wise. Develop these things, grow in them.

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” (bold mine, John 16:33, NASB)

As one walks in obedience to God, she grows spiritually, and she experiences more of her unity with Christ. The new you is fully in Christ—fully in unity with him, but she does not experience it due to the flesh, sin, deception, and spiritual blindness. Sanctification is the transformation of our soul (thoughts and emotions) from who we used to be to who we really are (a new creation in Jesus' likeness). It is the process of removing the veil (2 Corinthians 3:14-18; Note v. 14: in Christ and v. 18: transformed into his likeness).

So we can be of good courage (going forward in spite of pain and fear), because it is God who works in us so we experience Jesus living through us more and more, and so we experience his overcoming of the world more and more. Overcoming the world is winning the battles which trouble us and in which we suffer. The result is peace, including the peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7), because we experience more and more of our unity with Jesus, the God of all peace.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
John 16:33 reads, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Could someone tell me what this means?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. The verse appears pretty self-explanatory. Is there a specific part of the verse that you don't understand?

Upvote 0