Joel Osteen a fake preacher? (as are others?)

Joel Olsteen like many is...

• A false preacher

• Is a legit preacher.

• Somewhere in between.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Neither did Jesus or his apostles. :o

The best preachers only rely on God, never on cemetary... I mean, seminary.

1. Jesus is God made flesh - He has infinite knowledge so of course Jesus didn't need training.

2. The apostles were with Jesus for 3 YEARS -that is an awful lot of training from Jesus Himself.

3. The best preachers actually know what they are talking about PLUS are empowered by the Holy Spirit . Need both head knowledge and heart knowledge to feed the sheep PROPERLY.

Upvote 0

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1. Jesus is God made flesh - He has infinite knowledge so of course Jesus didn't need training.

2. The apostles were with Jesus for 3 YEARS -that is an awful lot of training from Jesus Himself.

3. The best preachers actually know what they are talking about PLUS are empowered by the Holy Spirit . Need both head knowledge and heart knowledge to feed the sheep PROPERLY.

Just post a scripture that says "professional" training is required. Here's a hint. It's not there. ANYONE can study and teach the Word, whether that be in a formal school, by sitting at home or through osmosis. Whatever. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm starting to catch up on who Joel Osteen is. He sounds more like a motivational speaker than a pastor.

He sounds sincere, but if he can't differentiate between a Christian and a Mormon and was called "The Most Influential Christian in America" by The Church Report, we have some serious issues here.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just post a scripture that says "professional" training is required. Here's a hint. It's not there. ANYONE can study and teach the Word, whether that be in a formal school, by sitting at home or through osmosis. Whatever. :thumbsup:

Not everyone is called to teach the Word and lead people to Christ.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Despite the fact the bible says salvation THROUGH Jesus is the only way.
and this statement is not in conflict with what Olsteen said so what are you trying to say?

Problem is every christian, corrupt or not, thinks they are hearing is voice. When the crusades happened. Were they "hearing" his voice? Of course not. When a man blows up a school with kids because God told him to, is hearing Gods voice? Nope.
ok so lets look at several of your posts. you say i can only tell the truth and if people don't want to believe I can do no more. Now is it possible that at times you only think you are hearing the truth and God's voice and what you post is not necesarily true? your posts and responses don't show that it is a possibility.

If your read your bible it says there are wolves among christians. These kind of people can draw you away from whats right. Osteen may lead some to the Lord, but it doesn't mean he a great man. Whats the point of leaing people to Christ, if the rest of your praching about chrsitianity is going to lead them astray? >.<
Every single preacher may lead people away so we should never listen to any message ever again. Is that correct? if not then sorry you are applying different standards to different preachers and I wonder why you are then targeting Olsteen instead of preachers in general.

Also if you really believe the people will know follow no other. Explain why it says in the end days even some christians will turn to the Anti-Christ thinking its actually Christ. Seems to me like to many blindly follow whomever and don't realize it. No matter what church I've gone to, no matter what christians I talk to I always look at what they are saying and compare it to what the bible says. Because we are to make sure we are listning to the truth and not lies or "opinions" on what people think is correct.

The bible is our answer guide (along with prayer). So if the answers don't match up then I ignore what is being told to me..
i reckon you do follow other peoples opinions. After all i was able to point out how a number of the claims in the article you originally quoted were false using nothing but the sources provided by that article. however you said you would not comment and you still comment against Olsteen. That seems like following peoples opinions rather than the truth to me. What would you call it?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
agreed

yet even at the end of the three years they still didn't get it. That is very clear from reading scripture.

Some of the best don't actually. bible colleges are a fairly new concept. Several of what are considered the great preachers did no formal training but rather through studying the bible.

i am reminded of a (true) story Tony Campolo tells. A church struggling could not afford a minister so one of the members was asked to preach. he was not well educated. in fact he head dropped out of school well before the end of school. he preached powerful message and the church grew and responded. i know some very well educated preachers. they never take that extra step and challenge people. They always stop just short. Educated does not always mean good.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He sounds sincere, but if he can't differentiate between a Christian and a Mormon and was called "The Most Influential Christian in America" by The Church Report, we have some serious issues here.

Not everyone is called to teach the Word and lead people to Christ.
Exactly. Although I will say I seen Joel in person (well didn't meet him but seen him at a distance) and I felt my discernment kick in. Something is not right about him. I feel likes hes a wolf that tries to look like a sheep.

I mean even if you want to say his preaching style is ok. The way he lives with his wealth is not. And knowig a few people that "follow" him, many of them stopped liking him because once something happened in their lives (got sick, lost a job) he basically told them they were just sinners and being negative...etc. Its why I really feel hes doing what he does more for the money then anything else.

After all he preachers more of a "karma" thing of if you do good, good will always happens to you back. Well if thats the case why does he not give away everything he has. God will provide him food, cloths, a home...etc right?

I don't how many people seen the movie "The Book of Eli" but I loved it! True its probably not the best movie for a christian to watch. But it illustrates everything I have said about how some people (even preachers) can use the bible for evil reasons such as personal gain. Here is a quote that the "villian" says in the movie about the bible:
IT'S NOT A <censored) BOOK! IT'S A WEAPON. A weapon aimed right at the hearts and minds of the weak and the desperate. It will give us control of them. If we want to rule more than one small, <censored> town, we have to have it. People will come from all over, they'll do exactly what I tell 'em if the words are from the book. It's happened before and it'll happen again. All we need is that book.

What does this proof? It may be a movie but read your bibles. It says that there will be wolves among us who will lead us astray and in the end of days, things will get worse. People will turn to preachers who give them ear candy (aka Joel Osteen) and ignore the truth about him. Or in short many people will use the bible for on people for personal gain.

The bible itself again mentions that in the end even some christians will fall for the anti-christs desception! So, even the devil knows how to lure people away from God using what he knows of Christ.

Theres nothing else I can say past this really. This reponse should be pretty powerful and you should understand what I say. Is Osteen evil? No I don't think hes evil, but I think and feel like hes doing what he does more for himself then for Gods glory. I don't hate him either by the way. I just think christians should be cautious about people like him. Its like laying next to your GF when your both alone. Your riding a very dangerous line between being safe and being dangerous.

Every single preacher may lead people away so we should never listen to any message ever again. Is that correct?
No, I'm saying be careful of preachers who are to far off the path. No preacher will be perfect, but one that has to many wrongs isn't a safe to listen too.

i reckon you do follow other peoples opinions. After all i was able to point out how a number of the claims in the article you originally quoted were false using nothing but the sources provided by that article. however you said you would not comment and you still comment against Olsteen. That seems like following peoples opinions rather than the truth to me. What would you call it?
I didn't respond because I had already posted my evidence which was the bible. You wanted me to show you some sort of proof beyond that despite the fact the bible is our ONLY source we should be turning to in terms of whats right or wrong. I don't follow peoples opinions either, sure I'll try to see it from their side, but in the end my opinions on what biblical or not are based on the bible itself. So if your saying I am wrong for lsitening to the bible then I don't know what else to say.

On a side note I think its time I get this topic closed. Because lets face it, like many topics (Harry Potter anyone?), the talks never stop. EVER! As my friend told me, the smarter man stops arguing over whatrs right or wrong because if you wrap yourselves up in endless debates then you are waisting precious time that could be spent elsewhere doing things for God. So yes I don't reply after awhile because its just wasted time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I half-agree with you. Everyone should study (to the best of their ability).
However not everybody should preach. James 3:1 - ESVBible.org
We are a part of the body of Christ. James 3:1 - ESVBible.org Therefore not everybody can be the tongue and speak/teach.

People in positions of authority in the church will have to answer to God for the example they set and what they teach or don't teach.

Upvote 0

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I half-agree with you. Everyone should study (to the best of their ability).
However not everybody should preach. James 3:1 - ESVBible.org
We are a part of the body of Christ. James 3:1 - ESVBible.org Therefore not everybody can be the tongue and speak/teach.

People in positions of authority in the church will have to answer to God for the example they set and what they teach or don't teach.

Agreed! As was stated, not all people are called to preach and thus don't. From my limited understanding of history, preaching didn't even really come about until Greece was a super power and thrived with philosophy. In time, Jews began to embrace the Word as more than just a book of their history but also a guide in how to live. To be a priet in these times you had to be born into it, much like a king. But anyone could study and preach their own understanding of the Word. Same is true today. Everyone on this forum is a preacher as we all express our own interruptations of scripture. Dosent mean everyone should, ^_^ but nevertheless...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
yet even at the end of the three years they still didn't get it. That is very clear from reading scripture.
That was BEFORE Jesus' resurrection and their anointing of the Holy Spirit. When they had all the missing pieces of the puzzle they were totally different.

Some of the best don't actually. bible colleges are a fairly new concept. Several of what are considered the great preachers did no formal training but rather through studying the bible..... Educated does not always mean good.
I never said they had to have Masters degrees in Theology to be a good preacher. Preachers have to have a good knowledge of what is said in the Bible to be able to teach other christians properly so they spiritually mature.

TheDag, You would probably like the pastor at my little baptist church in a very small regional town. He is a part-time tradesman and isn't as eloquent as the baptist preachers I saw at my large church in Adelaide and other highly educated preachers I have heard have heard online. I doubt he has had that much training either.

However like them he preaches straight from the bible in context and explains it in local mining town lingo extremely well, making sure he keeps to the whole message of the passage even if it can be confronting at times. He has a gift for preaching the FULL Gospel.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't respond because I had already posted my evidence which was the bible. You wanted me to show you some sort of proof beyond that despite the fact the bible is our ONLY source we should be turning to in terms of whats right or wrong. I don't follow peoples opinions either, sure I'll try to see it from their side, but in the end my opinions on what biblical or not are based on the bible itself. So if your saying I am wrong for lsitening to the bible then I don't know what else to say.
Actually no you did not quote the bible. What you did was quote an article that had various bible passages in it. While those bible passages are true the claims that Osteen was going against those teachings were false claims and I was able to prove that with the source that the article quoted. you don't seem to grasp what the problem with that is. it is called bearing false witness against thy neighbour. So my issue is that the author of the article which you said says what you want to say was breaking one of the commandments. just because someone quotes the bible it soes not mean they are doing it correctly.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never said they had to have Masters degrees in Theology to be a good preacher. Preachers have to have a good knowledge of what is said in the Bible to be able to teach other christians properly so they spiritually mature.
Ok that wasn't clear. It seemed you were suggesting if they hadn't been to bible college they shouldn't be. Glad that has been cleared up.

TheDag, You would probably like the pastor at my little baptist church in a very small regional town. He is a part-time tradesman and isn't as eloquent as the baptist preachers I saw at my large church in Adelaide and other highly educated preachers I have heard have heard online. I doubt he has had that much training either.
If you are still in SA then if I make it down that way to visit friends I might try and drop in. Although i probably will stick to adelaide & barossa where my SA friends live (they are lutherans after all!)

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ok that wasn't clear. It seemed you were suggesting if they hadn't been to bible college they shouldn't be. Glad that has been cleared up.

If you are still in SA then if I make it down that way to visit friends I might try and drop in. Although i probably will stick to adelaide & barossa where my SA friends live (they are lutherans after all!)
We moved back to QLD for good last Christmas unfortunately. If you ever visit central QLD you could say g'day.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Things Joel does right...

1. He does manage pretty good sermons for someone who has never been in the seminary.
2. He is a good family man - Good husband, father.
3. He has avoided the sins of adultery.
4. He does attempt to do crusades-Which few do these days!
5. He does pray the Father in Jesus name (which many do not these days).
6. He does invite those for salvation after every service (which many do not these days).
7. They do baptize, observe the Lord's supper, and encourage good Christian growth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We moved back to QLD for good last Christmas unfortunately. If you ever visit central QLD you could say g'day.
thats right i remember you mentioning being in Qld now that you remind me! i will be leaving Qld shortly so not likely. Although one day i might visit my relatives up that way although there is only one that i would be keen to catch up with. the rest i don't know that well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.