a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Are there any fulltime jobs in the Church? I mean ones that I could support a family on. I hope this is clear enough for you guys to respond.

If you want a rich wage, the church cannot give you.

In my diocese in Italy, most of the people, or work for free, or are religious or priests.
No one in my parish is paid. The priest himself works as a teacher (of religion).

I've no idea in the US.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
you can at least probably get decent benefits, wages probably wouldn't go higher than $48,000, if that. If you want a full time job within the Church and want to support a family, I would suggest having a wife with a job as well (for example, my parish's youth minister's wife worked as an elementary school teacher).

Upvote 0

RichSpidizzy

May 4, 2005
Queens, NY
Visit site
✟16,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
There isn't much out there from what I've seen. You can check with your diocese, check your diocesan newspaper, and check out http://www.catholicjobs.com/. There are other Catholic newspapers that have job postings listed in them also. I know National Catholic Register always has job opening listed, sort of like a classifieds section...

A canon lawyer working in the diocesan tribunal doesn't make a lot, but enough to support a family on.
I thought canon lawyers were all priests...

Upvote 0

GorrionGris

...but the greatest of these is Love
Nov 15, 2006
Gran Canaria, Spain
✟9,212.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Are there any fulltime jobs in the Church? I mean ones that I could support a family on. I hope this is clear enough for you guys to respond.
Well there are jobs related to the Church that could support you

a) Teacher in a catholic school
b) Social worker in a catholic charity
c) EWTN
etc...

(but maybe this is a good time to ponder if you are being called for some vocation :) )

Upvote 0

vrunca

STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS
May 1, 2004
North East Lower Michigan! Go Wings!!
✟4,908.00
Faith
Catholic
My sister taught in the Catholic school system in the Diocese of Detroit for years (she is now the assistant principal). This is a newly built middle school in a very well off area and she makes a decent living. Although, she is not married and has no children to raise. She would make a lot more working for the public school system, but she is doing it for the love of teaching her faith to children...as well as other reasons.

Now, myself on the other hand...I am the Director of Religious Education and the Youth minister at my parish. I definately am doing this for the love of the job...not the money at all!! But I also live in a much, much smaller area, we have under 100 registered families, and most people live where there is a much larger church to work at. I am a paid employee, I work full time...actually a lot more than that even, but I only get paid for 19 hours a week, which is what the church can afford.

I do know of other youth ministers or DREs who work in larger churches who make a wage that with very good money handleing skills can get by and raise a family on it....and probably a part time job on the side!! The church is not a place where you will make a lot of money, but you prosper tremendously in other ways!

Let me put it this way, my friend found out how much I make for the work I do. She was appalled and told me she could get a job for me at the local grocery store working full time and with some benefits, and making over twice what I make now. But working where I work, doing what I do, I feel that I am so much more better off and really do better, making a lot less.

I hope that makes sense, you really have to be committed to doing the work of God, the money has to come last.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because there are fewer priests and religious today than there were in previous years, there is probably more career opportunity in the Church than there ever was.

Why don't you look at some of the diocesan websites for nearby dioceses and see what job opportunities are listed?

At that point you can determine whether there are job opportunities for people with your particular skill set and if the compensation would be adequate to support a family.

I do believe that most dioceses try to follow the social justice ideals they promote in our greater society. They believe that employers should provide fair wages, and they try to provide fair wages themselves, insofar as they are able.

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
at my church, everything is volunteer, except for the school. but in terms of other jobs at the church, whether it be for charity, confirmation, any of that, there are all volunteers.

if ur church has a school, try checking that out. also, a secretary may be paid.

good luck!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.