Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am watching the movie Jesus of Nazareth right now and in an earlier scene something came out at me and hit me. It was a scene in which Barabas was trying to get Jesus to join his revolution against Herod and the Romans.

Jesus told Barabas that he must forgive his enemies. Barabas protested saying "But forgive the Romans? Forgive Harod?" Jesus said yes, forgive them. Barabas once again protested saying "But the Romans kill innocent women and children. Harod has killed many innocent people. We must rise up against him!" Jesus said he has come to forgive the sins of all. He has come to bear everyone's sins. If you want to follow me you must do the same. Jesus asked Barbas to follow Him but he wouldn't and ran off.

Now, I can replace Romans with Muslims today. I can replace Harod with Osama Bin Laden today. For Jesus said those who live by the sword die by the sword. The wolf will fall to the lamb. (that might not have been the exact words but you get what Jesus was saying)

So, this really causes me to meditate on my own thoughts. Am I a follower of Jesus or is my thoughts and words more like the words and actions of Barabas?

artjack

Jul 19, 2005
✟1,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we dont much id say, even if one belongs to a seceret sect, there may be a secerect higher places inside that, we are slaves to them wheather we are aware or not, controled id say, our sins are not our own unless we are negitive, one can feel richer, but infact be becoming poorer and at the same time making more than one richer in turn in respect of their control, if true why get up in the morning unless it is positive to suffer, just look around, it is possible the whole world will help you if positive and for it not to exist if negitive.

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am watching the movie Jesus of Nazareth right now and in an earlier scene something came out at me and hit me. It was a scene in which Barabas was trying to get Jesus to join his revolution against Herod and the Romans.

Jesus told Barabas that he must forgive his enemies. Barabas protested saying "But forgive the Romans? Forgive Harod?" Jesus said yes, forgive them. Barabas once again protested saying "But the Romans kill innocent women and children. Harod has killed many innocent people. We must rise up against him!" Jesus said he has come to forgive the sins of all. He has come to bear everyone's sins. If you want to follow me you must do the same. Jesus asked Barbas to follow Him but he wouldn't and ran off.

Now, I can replace Romans with Muslims today. I can replace Harod with Osama Bin Laden today. For Jesus said those who live by the sword die by the sword. The wolf will fall to the lamb. (that might not have been the exact words but you get what Jesus was saying)

So, this really causes me to meditate on my own thoughts. Am I a follower of Jesus or is my thoughts and words more like the words and actions of Barabas?
We shouldn't hate the Muslims as people, though we do hate their false religion. Jesus knew that the day would come when the Roman Empire would bear the standard of the Gospel. He didn't embrace their foul paganism, but he loved the Roman people because he would shed his blood to save their souls--just like he does for everyone else.

It would be good for Osama Bin Laden to be defeated. It would be even better if he came to faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of his sins, along with all of his followers. Then there would be peace in the world, not through American bombs, but through the blood of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Would you replace Romans with Democrats and Herod with women that have had abortions?
Regardless of what you think I do not want death to Democrats. I don't want to kill women that have abortions. I don't even hate either group. I hate most of the Democrats policies because I believe they tear down a once great nation. I hate the abortions that women get because they are killing innocent babies. I hate the sin but love the sinner.

But with radical Muslims at times I actively hope for their death. To the point where I would love nothing more than to put several bullets in Osama Bin Laden and this Al-Sadr character myself.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Why would you want to bring about anyone's death - particularly without active repentance in their lives?

We don't need to condone the actions of others, but we need to have charity for them. We need to recognize how but for the grace of God there we go. Had you been born into a family in the Middle East, there is every liklihood that you too would be a Muslim. Add oppression to the mix and there is every liklihood that you might be a militant, as well.

Pray, fast, and sacrifice for the salvation of souls- earnestly desiring that all will obtain heaven!

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We don't need to condone the actions of others, but we need to have charity for them. We need to recognize how but for the grace of God there we go. Had you been born into a family in the Middle East, there is every liklihood that you too would be a Muslim. Add oppression to the mix and there is every liklihood that you might be a militant, as well.

Indeed. There but for the grace of God go I.

....though I don't think it's really all that bad of a thing to believe that the world might benefit from Osama Bin Laden falling victim to an acute case of high velocity lead poisoning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All souls are infinitely precious in the eyes of God...even those of our enemies. I don't think willing the speedy death of one not in a right relationship with God is a benefit to the whole world....because that one soul is infinitelt precious. Imprisonment, yes...death, no---for willing his death is not a wish of mercy to alleviate his suffering.

I wish he would turn to Christ....but given the choice I'd have him offed rather than wait. If we have a Columbine type situation break out somewhere, I want the police going in hard and shooting to kill, not sitting outside in the parking lot praying for the souls of the evil-doers. I don't delite in violence, but there are times when nothing else will do.
For the reccord, if you can talk Mr Bin Laden into surrendering without a fight and facing life in prison, I would be in your debt. Give it your best shot.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed. There but for the grace of God go I.

....though I don't think it's really all that bad of a thing to believe that the world might benefit from Osama Bin Laden falling victim to an acute case of high velocity lead poisoning.
the death of BinLaden would not stop the violence in the Middle East, and may even increase it, what to do then?

violence begets violence, hatred gives rise to hatred.

be not overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Regardless of what you think I do not want death to Democrats. I don't want to kill women that have abortions. I don't even hate either group. I hate most of the Democrats policies because I believe they tear down a once great nation. I hate the abortions that women get because they are killing innocent babies. I hate the sin but love the sinner.

But with radical Muslims at times I actively hope for their death. To the point where I would love nothing more than to put several bullets in Osama Bin Laden and this Al-Sadr character myself.
I did not mean to imply that you wish the death of people associated with abortion. I just wanted you to think about your stance towards them. Do you pray for them and ache for their salvation the way that Christ does, or do you simply want them excommunicated and thrown into hell? Given the choice between being murdered or thrown into hell, I think that I would choose being murdered. Just something to think about

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

If all the teachings of Jesus could be narrowed into one word, it would be "agape." Let's not worry about placing groups into a category from the Bible (let's remember that the Bible has been used to justify atrocities to human kind), rather we should worry about how we are living the call of radical of love, so strong that we would be willing to die for the sake of others, and being an example to others so that they will want to know Christ as we know Him, speaking only when necessary.

Upvote 0

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I dunno. I mean Barabas seemed to want to just kill with hate. Without any compassion whatsoever.

The 'Those who live by the shall by the sword" I think talking more about those who want look to violence first without any attempts of peaceful negotiating or the Just war clause that the Church speaks about would be sinful which it isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you guys were not going there, but hope we make a distinction between what should be my attitude toward my enemy (even if called to mow them down) and the obligation our leaders have to protect us from them.
The warrior in me says that we can, do and should defend ourselves. My actions in the service of my country, while always governed by the laws of God, should not be considered un-Christian even if I do not agree with the cause or principle behind the war. God places that responsibility and judgment on those He places as our rulers, in our case elected by us.

I think if I take an oath to follow lawful orders then any deaths resulting from such orders, even my seeking/wanting to kill the enemy because of those orders does not make me opposed to God's law. It would be what I signed up and agree to do, part of defending my country. If there is a judgement to be made in those deaths, it lies with those responsible for giving those orders.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wish he would turn to Christ....but given the choice I'd have him offed rather than wait. If we have a Columbine type situation break out somewhere, I want the police going in hard and shooting to kill, not sitting outside in the parking lot praying for the souls of the evil-doers. I don't delite in violence, but there are times when nothing else will do.
For the reccord, if you can talk Mr Bin Laden into surrendering without a fight and facing life in prison, I would be in your debt. Give it your best shot.

I would wish all that were evil and influences others to be/do evil, would turn to God - the one who says to love your neighbor. However there is a time for prayer and a time for getting off your knees. I agree with you. Would that Hitler would have been stopped long before WWII.

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:"

Ecclesiastes 3: 1

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=25&chapter=3&version=31

Prayers for those who walk in harm's way so others might have a free life. Safer than it otherwise would be without them.

-Peace-

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.