Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Hi,

I think that this topic requires more serious thought. I recently came under fire from punters on the Time Off message forum for saying that divorce shouldn't be granted for any married couple with the exception of 'fornication'. They said "what about women who are in abusive relationships"?

I think that they had a point. Should a woman divorce her husband if she is in a marriage where she is being bashed up or raped by him but he's not having an affair? I personally think that no woman should put up with this behaviour in any marriage, she should get away from her hubby for a while and he should get counselling for his actions.
Should Jesus have also sanctioned divorce for this when he was teaching about divorce in Matthew 19?

I think it's absolutely tragic that so many marriages are ending in divorce where the husband has either been guilty of beating his wife up, or committing adultery (a la Shane Warne).

Then again, in any situation it takes two to tango. Once you've tied the knot with someone it's BOTH your responsibilities to make the marriage work. If you don't, then it goes rotten like untended teeth or a half eaten apple left in the open.

I personally think that marriage and romantic/sexual relationships should be instigated by the individual woman than people in church pressuring couples to getting married as soon as they can.

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that it is both the husband and wife responisbility to make a marriage work, but what of the times when no matter what someone does, the other partner continues to abuse them, of if someone is constantly loving and caring to their spouse and the spouse chooses to run off and have an affair. You can't choose the actions of somebody else. I think no matter how much you love and care for someone they can still have the power to hurt you.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
tgg that is appalling. If a husband bashes and rapes his wife then he has committed a serious crime and should be in prison, not marriage counselling. And if you think God would prefer His children stay married to such people I think you are very mistaken. You need to go and have a good look at yourself.

Reactions: KristyAnne
Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Anduril, can you show us in the Bible where it states that women in abusive relationships are required to divorce their husbands?

Back in Biblical times, women were considered little less than being the PROPERTY of their husbands, which is certainly not the case these days.

I think that castration is a better option for men who physically and sexually abuse their wives. That's imprisonment for life.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't need the Bible to tell you it's ok for women to divorce their husbands who bash and rape them, you just need a brain. In the OP you said "she should get away from her hubby for a while and he should get counselling for his actions". Now you are saying he should be castrated? Which is it? Or are you suggesting that castration should be included as part of the counselling service?

Upvote 0