Jesus said, 'that they may be one, even as we are one'.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What I hope for is that some, perhaps many, will recognise that Jesus wants unity and stop all the pointless fighting.

If so, then may we assume that you'd be just as pleased if we all--including you--joined the United Methodist Church and so achieved unity?

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If so, then may we assume that you'd be just as pleased if we all--including you--joined the United Methodist Church and so achieved unity?

I second the question

That's an example of silly, and it was, no doubt, asked with a fight in view.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't want to ask a question. My intend was to let scripture make a statement. And to add a little reflection to the statement of scripture.

What I hope for is that some, perhaps many, will recognize that Jesus wants unity and stop all the pointless fighting.

I understood that to be your reason for posting as soon as I read it. I'm actually both shocked and thrilled it's even getting the attention it's getting. The last time I saw a thread basically began by posting scripture and little else it went south in a hurry.
Some times I think I could simply post "I LOVE YOU" and get reamed for posting it. We can be a disagreeable bunch of cusses at times..

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I understood that to be your reason for posting as soon as I read it. I'm actually both shocked and thrilled it's even getting the attention it's getting. The last time I saw a thread basically began by posting scripture and little else it went south in a hurry.

Some times I think I could simply post "I LOVE YOU" and get reamed for posting it. We can be a disagreeable bunch of cusses at times..

Yes, that's about the size of it.

'If it aint a fight it aint worth discussing' seems to be the motto.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

:)

Upvote 0

Eseven

Feb 28, 2013
✟10,098.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This thread is about unity as Jesus prayed for it. But it isn't full of useless fighting so it is not popular. This is the irony of human nature.

The parable of the sower doesn't support church division, the field is the world not the church

Paul doesnt condone division in the church.

Paul doesn't condone willful unrepentant sin in the church.

Yes, that's right. But what has that got to do with the Original Post? Nobody mentioned the parable of the sower but you.

Yes, that is true. It has nothing to do with anything written in this thread.

:confused:

Upvote 0
E

Eliwho

Sorry, but yer whole premise is wrong.

• 1 Corinthians 11:19 KJV

For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

• 2 Peter 2:1 KJV

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Me too, so I became a member of the Church.

There's a difference in becoming a member of the rotary club and a member of a living breathing body . the living breathing body is the church that is everywhere . that is a habitation for God in the spirit realm.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There's a difference in becoming a member of the rotary club and a member of a living breathing body . the living breathing body is the church that is everywhere . that is a habitation for God in the spirit realm.

I know that. That is why I became a Catholic. I joined the Church and God's presence, community, body, blood, and blessings are here, in the Church.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I know that. That is why I became a Catholic. I joined the Church and God's presence, community, body, blood, and blessings are here, in the Church.

I find less hindrance to the Spirit's flow away from traditions that resemble an era of the history of Israel . it's a fruit of being under the law as a premise .

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I find less hindrance to the Spirit's flow away from traditions that resemble an era of the history of Israel . it's a fruit of being under the law as a premise .

We're not under the law, we're under grace. The law had its role as schoolmaster and disciplinarian to drawn people to Christ and once Christ is received and faith born in the faithful grace abounds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eseven

Feb 28, 2013
✟10,098.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We're not under the law, we're under grace. The law had its role as schoolmaster and disciplinarian to drawn people to Christ and once Christ is received and faith born in the faithful grace abounds.

That saying needs discernment to be understood. Even paul himself who said it teaches the law and even paul commands things.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Parts of the Church

These things having been explained, it will be necessary to enumerate the several component parts of the Church, and to point out their difference, in order that the faithful may the better comprehend the nature, properties, gifts, and graces of God's beloved Church, and by reason of them unceasingly praise the most holy name of God.

The Church consists principally of two parts, the one called the Church triumphant; the other, the Church militant. The Church triumphant is that most glorious and happy assemblage of blessed spirits, and of those who have triumphed over the world, the flesh, and the iniquity of Satan, and are now exempt and safe from the troubles of this life and enjoy everlasting bliss. The Church militant is the society of all the faithful still dwelling on earth. It is called militant, because it wages eternal war with those implacable enemies, the world, the flesh and the devil.

We are not, however, to infer that there are two Churches. The Church triumphant and the Church militant are two constituent parts of one Church; one part going before, and now in the possession of its heavenly country; the other, following every day, until at length, united with our Saviour, it shall repose in endless felicity.

The Members Of The Church Militant

The Church militant is composed of two classes of persons, the good and the bad, both professing the same faith and partaking of the same Sacraments, yet differing in their manner of life and morality.

The good are those who are linked together not only by the profession of the same faith, and the participation of the same Sacraments, but also by the spirit of grace and the bond of charity. Of these St. Paul says: The Lord knoweth who are his. Who they are that compose this class we also may remotely conjecture, but we can by no means pronounce with certainty. Hence Christ the Saviour does not speak of this portion of His Church when He refers us to the Church and commands us to hear and to obey her. As this part of the Church is unknown, how could we ascertain with certainty whose decision to recur to, whose authority to obey?

The Church, therefore, as the Scriptures and the writings of the Saints testify, includes within her fold the good and the bad; and it was in this sense that St. Paul spoke of one body and one spirit. Thus understood, the Church is known and is compared to a city built on a mountain, and visible from every side. As all must yield obedience to her authority, it is necessary that she maybe known by all.

That the Church is composed of the good and the bad we learn from many parables contained in the Gospel. Thus, the kingdom of heaven, that is, the Church militant, is compared to a net cast into the sea, to a field in which tares were sown with the good grain, to a threshing floor on which the grain is mixed up with the chaff, and also to ten virgins, some of whom were wise, and some foolish. And long before, we trace a figure and resemblance of this Church in the ark of Noah, which contained not only clean, but also unclean animals.

But although the Catholic faith uniformly and truly teaches that the good and the bad belong to the Church, yet the same faith declares that the condition of both is very different. The wicked are contained in the Church, as the chaff is mingled with the grain on the threshing floor, or as dead members sometimes remain attached to a living body.

Those Who Are Not Members Of The Church

Hence there are but three classes of persons excluded from the Church's pale:
  1. infidels,
  2. heretics and schismatics, and
  3. excommunicated persons.
Infidels are outside the Church because they never belonged to, and never knew the Church, and were never made partakers of any of her Sacraments. Heretics and schismatics are excluded from the Church, because they have separated from her and belong to her only as deserters belong to the army from which they have deserted. It is not, however, to be denied that they are still subject to the jurisdiction of the Church, inasmuch as they may be called before her tribunals, punished and anathematised. Finally, excommunicated persons are not members of the Church, because they have been cut off by her sentence from the number of her children and belong not to her communion until they repent.

But with regard to the rest, however wicked and evil they may be, it is certain that they still belong to the Church: Of this the faithful are frequently to be reminded, in order to be convinced that, were even the lives of her ministers debased by crime, they are still within the Church, and therefore lose nothing of their power.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Praise God.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said by the fruit you will know them .

the letter kills

the spirit gives life .

Upvote 0